It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Todays Chernobyl.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by rockn82
There is a wonderful blog written by a woman who rides through Chernobyl and all of the surrounding areas. She has pictures and has lots of great information on the subject. Some of the best stuff I have seen. You can find her stuff on FreeNet, but because it is a FreeNet site I cannot link to it. However, it is found rather easily.

Good Day

Yes link was previously posted. Here it is.
BTW: thanks again for the link skewed (I.d star you a second time if I could)

Originally posted by Skewed
Kind of ominous if you ask me.

Here is another tour of a lady that checked it out several years ago, not sure if it has been posted before but might lead to some comparisons over time.

Chernobyl Revisited - Ghost Town

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Wow! Some amazing photos. Great thread, and thank you for sharing your adventure.
I had no idea the town was that close to the reactor. Those poor people, their homes and community devastated in an instant. The abandoned amusement park was especially poignant, thinking of all the children and families who had once enjoyed themselves there. It's a dead zone now, except for the plantlife which is reclaiming the area for its own. What a man-made scar upon the earth. When will we learn?

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Brilliant post. Thanks very much.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I flagged this for your good work and very interesting,who knows whats in store for the world in our future with all the plants in the USA and the rest of the world.Good work!!

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
What a wonderful contripution.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Absolutely amazing, thank you for sharing! Great pictures! I loved reading this. s&f for you!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Amazing thread, thanks for sharing. I'd love to visit one day, it must be so surreal being in a ghost town like that.

I could go to all the places I went to on Call of Duty.. lol

S&F

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
10/10
S&F!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This is a reminder to all of us and also to all the countries using Nuclear Energy. This will always be a grim reminder that this alternative energy has also irreversible consequences.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Hey tHanks all for the feedback!
Ill throw up some more photos as requested.

Thought id throw this up to www.youtube.com..., its a docco i was watching yesterday '' inside the sacophagus ''
goes far enough with scientists and footage to show you the melted fuel as it is in the basement levels.

this is part of an amptitheartre style seating opposite a park.
in the park are parked all the tanks and trucks used to gather radioactive material.

This is a street leaving chernobyl and heading back towards the exclusion zone entrances.

Funny enough, driving out, bout 20minutes the reactors been out of site 100-110kmph. 4 of us in the car. The driver, myself and the 2 frenchman. The 2 frenchman fell asleep and i was dangerously close to as well.. but i made the effort to stay awake. start hearing a thumping.. gets louder n louder..
driver pulls over, walks around the car.. nothing.. cool jumps back in. keep driving
thumping returns louder and louder.. enough to wake up the 2 frenchman.
We step out all of us do a walk around.
I get on my knee's look under the car, on the drivers side front weel there's a massive bubble protruding from the rubber of the tyre.. then, that second POW! it popped..

we all have a laugh, standing around realising we're standing around chernobyl, in the forrest with a blown tyre and a lowering sun.

That is a truck parked behind the prison cells.
USSR insignia on everything industrial.

This is facing away from the reactor. The reactor is immediately behind me only a few hundred meters on the otherside of the cooling pond. The guide explained that all the radioactive material cleaned off the the roof's were dumped in large pits on the otherside of the scrub. HE points over to a clearing and says there used to be a forrest there, next to the pit. Everything died and went away. Scientists now study that particular area for radiation and its effect on life.

Theres a few dead tree's dotting the immediate area, but they are long dead, charcoal white almost and you could probably push one over its so brittle.

Below is a drain cover we found around the fair. This registered about 9-10 on the RAD counta

This was a street out the front of the school. Its suburbia all around. The guide points down the road and says there's extreme radiation just down there.

mmmm Berries!

edit on 29-12-2011 by Agit8dChop because: cou

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
wow thats amazing, its like something out of a movie, thanks for sharing

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Amazing photos, wish I could do something like that

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Brilliant pictures man, thanks for posting!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
OP. . .THIS is why I joined ATS five years ago. Your experiences are simply amazing, and I THANK you for sharing.

Amazing. . .

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Thanks for the photos, It is really cool to see the town now and it is also sad knowing about what happened and seeing the aftermath.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I wonder when can it become inhabited again.

Great thread thanks!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I first got into Chernobyl when my 7 year old was born, she was in the special care baby unit and was receiving special care, so I went to the newsagents and brought a magazine, and there was pics and so much info on the subject, since then it’s been a little fascination of mine.
I just want to say thank you so much, me and my little brother planed a trip to Ukraine from the UK, stay in Kiev and then go on a tour to Chernobyl, it didn’t happen in the end due to funds, well lack of. Back to your picture, WOW when I scrolled right to see the big fair wheel my stomach turned, please if you got any more pic post them, because this is probable as close as I will ever get to seeing it.
S & F
Regards Jamie

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Nice photographs. Did you see any wildlife?

I read somewhere years ago (think it was a national geographic magazine) that the animals in the area are breeding like the proverbial rabbits and don't seem to be effected by the fallout?? No mutants I guess? And no hunting by humans or humans stealing their food/ habitat. It would be nice to know if this is truth or bogus.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I didnt see any wildlife hey! TBH I was dissapointed by that.
Come to think of it i dont recall hearing or seeing birds either.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

good post.. but you might have lost a few years of your life venturing there unprotected..

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join