It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Less restrictive state considers warning travelers of passage into more restrictive state

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Tongue in cheek way to bolster local economy or beginnings of a DMZ?

Signs welcoming drivers to other states are common on major roads, but lawmakers said travelers on back roads might not realize they're crossing a border and may be subject to different laws.

Read more: www.wmur.com...
"You have to think about the fact that there is a huge amount of laws that change when you go from New Hampshire to Massachusetts," said Rep. Jennifer Coffey, R-Andover. "You don't want to get caught on the other side of the line with illegal fireworks in an uninsured vehicle without your seat belt."

Read more: www.wmur.com...

The signs would be paid for and sponsored by local businesses which leads me to concluding its a cute way to drum up local pride but why on Earth would anyone already in New Hampshire cross over to Mass to buy anything in the first place? So that brings me back to the times I've inadvertently broken Mass state laws just by crossing an imaginary "freedom" line.

And dont think Mass would just say "oh, you're from NH go ahead and turn around." Hell no. They push and push until every felony they have is stacked on your head just for missing a turn. Mass taxpayers would rather pay to imprison a traveling NH guy than let him return home without harassment.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Ain't it great?
Charge someone who made a mistake with FEE'S and laugh if it goes to warrent for failure to pay the fines from tickets. MORE revenue. Don't forget if you get pulled over for a warrent on a failure to pay you can do JAIL time here in California.

The Counties get EARNED income from the Feds here in California. So an empty bed is a WASTE of potencial billings from the State for Fed dough.

We all know igorance of the law is no excuse. Driving is a privelage not a right. Blah Blah Blah.

All mistakes are fair game to raise revenue. Read the rulebook.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Georgia should put up a sign on the florida line, WARNING entering florida, You arrive on Vacation and leave on probation (and may return due to a violation.)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Adamanteus

There should be a big warning sign when entering Arizona from anywhere!

(well at least Maricopa county a.k.a. home of Sheriff Joe Arpaio)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adamanteus
Georgia should put up a sign on the florida line, WARNING entering florida, You arrive on Vacation and leave on probation (and may return due to a violation.)

LOL The lawyers here in Tahoe have that phrase "Come On Vacation Leave On Probation" and Bail Bondsman have "I'll Get You Out If It Takes Me 20 Years" on packs of matches at all the Liquer Stores here at the Lake.

Too funny

NOT! Kinda though.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I don't care about 6 foot snow drifts, negative freezing temperatures, and funny-talking people that don't know what the letter "R" sounds like
. In 2 years, I'm in New Hampshire.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
All right, sure, I see some humor in it. But I really like the idea in general, 1) to protect citizens and 2) to put a little subtle pressure on Massachusetts.

Where I have trouble is in getting the full information out to the citizens. Which laws are changed? Would it need a brochure, a website, a board in the wayside rests?

I'm stuck. I think it's a good idea, but I don't know how to do it.

join