It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Brutality - 63 Year Old Man Loses An Eye For Running A Stop Sign

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I am so sick of seeing these stories in the news.
This poor man now has to have his eye amputated because of a supposed traffic violation??

www.whas11.com...

SEYMOUR, Ind. (WHAS11) – A man from Seymour spent a week in the hospital after he says a police officer beat him in front of his own home. Seymour police say the man was resisting arrest.

Robert Edmonds says last Monday he dropped his car off at his friend’s house to get the brakes fixed. Edmonds says he only lived a couple blocks away so he walked home. He says a Seymour Police officer approached him only feet from his front porch.

“I said, ‘I am a diabetic and I get colds easy; can we step on the porch and talk?’ He stood there, I turned like this to walk to the porch he grabbed me and started pounding my face off the car. He got me on the ground and started pounding my face on the ground,” says Edmonds.

www.wlky.com...

SEYMOUR, Ind. -- Some community members in Seymour, Ind., claim police brutality after 63-year-old Robert Edmonds suffered severe facial injuries during an incident with officers.

They voiced their concerns Wednesday night at a meeting with city leaders inside the Bethel AME Church.

"I don't know what type of crime would cause anyone to inflict this type of punishment on anybody," said John Rivera, a long-time Seymour resident who attended the meeting.

Many residents questioned what exactly happened Nov. 21. "The investigation needs to be done by outside sources," said Judy West, a Seymour resident.

This, like many other police brutality news stories, will just end up being forgotten by next week, then on to the next ones, and the next, then some TSA assaults in the news, and so on, rinse & repeat.

The Darkside is in full force in America.

edit on 19-12-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Guess a lesson is learned- don't run from police, or you will be forcibly arrested. If he didn't do anything, I'd be p#ssed at the officer, too.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Absolutely awful.

No matter if he committed the crime or not, that does not justify beating his head into a car and the ground and causing him to lose his right eye.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
kinda scary thats right in my back yard

and its going to be coming to your back yard very soon stay tuned america it is only going to get worse

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Thutmose

Why would a 63 year old man just out of nowhere decide to abandon his vehicle and run from police for no reason? They didn't report his car was stolen, or that he had warrants, or anything other than a traffic stop violation... and he loses an eye?

To add insult to injury, police want to charge HIM with battery and resisting arrest!

If it were me that this happened to and I did nothing wrong, I think an eye for an eye would be what's due.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I just do NOT appreciate elderly abuse. That's what these thugs have done --- beat up on an old guy. America has lost its empathy towards each other, is what I'm taking.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I will be extremely interested to see the dashcam footage on this incident. Until that is presented, it is hard to say what happened. But an eye for a traffic violation sounds very over the top. He doesn't look all that young or muscular so I wonder (a) just how far and fast he could run and (b) how well he could resist arrest. This must surely be the most WTF? case I have heard in some time.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Another victim of the strong arm of the law. To scare and intimidate. The police say he was resisting arrest yet they have failed to charge him with anything??

Reporting of police brutality seemingly vastly outnumbers the reported good deeds of law enforcement by a wide margin.

Does anyone remember the last reports of police heroism in North America where you have felt grateful towards the police?

I don't. I thank the firefighters for their 9-11 cleanup efforts but I don't feel grateful towards NYPD for that day.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phayte
Does anyone remember the last reports of police heroism in North America where you have felt grateful towards the police?

I don't.

That's because the media and people don't really care to hear about police heroism. I, for one, have been in personal situations where I have felt grateful towards the police. Did anyone care to hear about them? Nope, all they cared about were the latest scandals by the police or the latest scandals involving some random celebrity.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Thutmose

So you think the guy deserved this and the cops are justified in abusing him to the point he has to have an eye amputated for doing what is inherently instinctive in human nature? It is instinctive to run from fear, of anything, a dog, a wild animal or a cop, the cops know this and should expect it and accept it as part of their job or find another job. I hope people start arming themselves and defending themselves from police brutality and I hope any cop that thinks this is ok by any means is on the receiving end of that defense. Do I hate cops? No I don't. I have friends that are cops and I still believe this because I know the kind of people they are and they would never be on the receiving end of self defense from Police abuse. How much longer do the Police think Citizens are going to allow this to happen and do nothing about it? Do Cops really think they have enough friends or firepower to prevent it? I suggest they wise up before they lose that option. Police are there to serve and protect, not play judge and jury and they better start realizing it.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

What the hell is wrong with people, Police are supposed to protect US not harm us. Cops like this need to be brought to court, they shouldnt be cops!!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

in 10 years....

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

More like 20 years ago...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thutmose
Guess a lesson is learned- don't run from police, or you will be forcibly arrested. If he didn't do anything, I'd be p#ssed at the officer, too.

A lesson learned?

I imagine that there's a lesson to be learned by you as well. I wonder how long your countdown is?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I will confess to not knowing how all courts across the world work but I would guess that one does not always have the benefit of "12 men, good and true" depending on the alleged crime. But I'm sure we do all know who the court will believe if it is a man's word against a policeman's word.

The Police Force as a whole will be judged by this serious breach of public trust in spite of all their possible good. That doesn't have to necessarily be a bad thing though, there is always room for improvement and public awareness of how things can turn out on a bad day. A very bad day.

Until I see dashcam footage proving otherwise, I side with the assaulted and seriously injured party and do see the whole department in the same light. I personally believe this to be a systemic problem and not a personal one but that is just my opinion.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I'd say something will definitely be seen on this with the Police. This is already a bit public....we have an Attorney General who really needs other things to focus on....and the whiff of bad cops is squarely in the jurisdiction of the FBI. That would be Holder. It will be interesting to see if that is pursued or not. Given this obscene degree of violent overkill, I sure hope so, whether the reasoning is political or not. Some cops sound like they need shown the exit and unemployment, if investigations prove this to be as bad as it sounds.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by EndGovtCorruption
[It is instinctive to run from fear, of anything, a dog, a wild animal or a cop, the cops know this and should expect it and accept it as part of their job or find another job.

That's a very good point.

It is well known humans have a fight or flight mentality when in fear. Fighting cops isn't really much of an option.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I walked away for a cop in downtown Seattle that was trying ask me why I was open carrying my pistol. Lucky for me I don't think they try to tackle people that can fight back.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thutmose

He had no crimes attributed to him, and was on his property, nearly on his porch. And was attacked. Show evidence that anything other than the information given took place, and don't try to make up a scenario in your head. I've seen many do it and its fantasy land stuff.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I've seen so many of these it makes me want to be aware that the next time I get hassled, it might be time to just go off.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join