It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coming soon: Ubiquitous surveillance from Big Brother's wayback machine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

www.networkworld.com

...authoritarian governments will soon be able to perform retroactive surveillance on anyone within their borders, according to a Brookings Institute report.These regimes will store every phone call, instant message, email, social media interaction, text message, movements of people and vehicles and public surveillance video and mine it at their leisure...enormous databases of captured information will create what amounts to a surveillance time machine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
As it becomes easier and less expensive to store data of all sorts, the potential for survalience becomes greater and greater.

Under the types of systems envisioned by this recent Brookings Institute report, a suspect's "phone conversations, automobile travels, and the people he or she met in the months and even years leading up to the arrest" can be scrutinized by the authorities.

Very few seem aware of the prison bars quietly being erected around us all every day. TBTB want to use information to eradicate time itself, in a sense. To me the potential for abuse of this system far outweighs its benefits. I also worry about corporate use of this kind of technique as well as government use.

Privacy is something most people don't miss until its gone, and most people have yet to grasp the implications of this kind of emerging survalience capacity.

www.networkworld.com

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
And this is why, if you discount my chatter on this website, I do the vast majority of my communication face to face, and do not keep records, save for those inside my head.

The best way to fight a technological behemoth, is to go aboriginal and pass by word of mouth, that which needs to be passed.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Sounds like a TV show of which I can't remember the name

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

this database will be sold again and again and again this isnt about security this is about money like everything else in this world

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I bet this is already taking place.
There has been a build up of high capacity storage facilities across the US.
A quick search will show the names and places.

With technology comes great risk.
Because everything digital can be stored.
Anything stored can be accessed.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I have a sneaky suspicion that this is already taking place and has
been for a very long time.
Any russian will tell you that the KGB knows everything.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

www.networkworld.com

...authoritarian governments will soon be able to perform retroactive surveillance on anyone within their borders, according to a Brookings Institute report.These regimes will store every phone call, instant message, email, social media interaction, text message, movements of people and vehicles and public surveillance video and mine it at their leisure...enormous databases of captured information will create what amounts to a surveillance time machine.

Ding Ding Ding! Face Book/Myspace/Youtube/Twitter ring a bell? these are all mass recording systems set up to constantly record data from all users and IP addresses worldwide. I dont see how not many people realize this. They've been recording the masses every since the invention of the recording device. Even supercomputers are silently piecing together the subconscious of the internet in its entirety and believe me, its learning in light-years and has been. In a sense we will have or already have a form of SKYNET operational, interlinked to everyone who is connected electronically in any way.

We dont need to chip humans, we divulge every detail every second of our live through our cellphones, land-lines, satellite, internet, and paper records. No one goes Unseen....they want us to believe they are sloppy and cant find any one given person in the drop of a dime in any location on this planet...

Its all a control and we may never be free....

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
And this is why, if you discount my chatter on this website, I do the vast majority of my communication face to face, and do not keep records, save for those inside my head.

The best way to fight a technological behemoth, is to go aboriginal and pass by word of mouth, that which needs to be passed.

Some might not believe...but surveillance is at such a technological level, that what we see to be flies or birds, animals or even nothing in most cases is recording us 24/7. mostly if you are a person of interest or that can become of interest. Or at very least hold a position of authority within your society.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Thats just ridiculus we really need to get back to a protect and serve already instead of this everyones a crook lets get as many as possible atitude...

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Yesterday I received a mssg from FB telling me I had a mssg from a friend. I hardly ever use FB except to post a news story on my wall. I tried to log-in, and got a FB popup telling me I couldn't access my account, unless I clicked on the OK for the *tell where I'm located at all times* service provided by FB.

Nope wouldn't click on it...and won't ever. When FB first came out with that new function, I disabled it immediately.

Guess they didn't like that huh....

No one has the *right* to your private data. Make it hard on them to get it. Fight back, while you still can.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

NOVA spy factory, video.pbs.org... bring a whole new meaning to "can you hear me now?" Video conferencing "can you see me now?"

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoYouCantSee

Ding Ding Ding! Face Book/Myspace/Youtube/Twitter ring a bell? these are all mass recording systems set up to constantly record data from all users and IP addresses worldwide. I dont see how not many people realize this. They've been recording the masses every since the invention of the recording device. Even supercomputers are silently piecing together the subconscious of the internet in its entirety and believe me, its learning in light-years and has been. In a sense we will have or already have a form of SKYNET operational, interlinked to everyone who is connected electronically in any way.

And now Facebook is implementing "timeline", to put in chronological order, all your data, stuff maybe you even wish was gone....
How convenient.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
there is 2 ways to look at this.

1. WTF are they doing spying on me, i'm not a terrorist

2. im glad they caught that terrorist that was going to blow up that mall

its all elementary
edit on 17-12-2011 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

authoritarian governments will soon be able to perform retroactive surveillance on anyone within their borders, according to a Brookings Institute report.

Yes, "authoritarian" governments.
Nobody else.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Will Soon be Able to? Hoo Haa

Thats funny.
S&F
edit on 17-12-2011 by Wildmanimal because: typo

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Not only face to face but with running water nearby.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Yet all of this technology that they say they are using to keep us safe will not prevent the real terrorists from striking if they so choose, because by the time this system spots anything useful, it will be too late. If I am correct then that tells me this system is intended mainly to further the Amerikan Agenda, as I like to call it. I think everyone knows what that is, and what is in store for us in the endgame.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Past History Of The Future

Originally posted by Oaktree
Yes, "authoritarian" governments.
Nobody else.

My first thought upon seeing that stipulation was being reminded of what happens to people who challenge the authority of the U.S. Government. Not a strategy for a long and happy life.

My second thought was that this is precisely the sort of "authoritarian regime" the Brookings Institute report is referring to.

Irony abounds.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

They've been doing that for more than 40 years on every electricity based communications circuit on the planet with literally acres of computers.

Very old news.

They're just getting better at it with massively more computing and storage power.

Zbignew Brzezinski:

National Security Advisor to Democratic President, Jimmy Carter, and Co-founder of the Trilateral Commission

“Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen…. “

“The technetronic era involves the gradual appearance of a more controlled society. Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen and maintain up-to-date complete files containing even the most personal information about the citizen. These files will be subject to instantaneous retrieval by the authorities.”

From, “Between Two Ages”, by Brzezinski

<<   2 >>

join