It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressman on hunger strike to show solidarity with Occupy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., embarked on a 24-hour hunger strike in solidarity with four Occupy DC protesters who have gone without food since Dec. 8 to advocate for D.C. voting rights. Ellison, the first Muslim to serve in the House, met with the hunger strikers Thursday and pledged to read their declaration – which calls for full voting rights for District residents as well as legislative and budget autonomy – on the floor of the House of Representatives to enter it into the congressional record.

What a doofus. Going on a hunger strike for 24 hours is about the most retarded and empty gesture I can imagine. Oh no, a whole day! I hope he knows what he's doing, sounds dangerous. I'll give the people going on 9 days props though.

Link

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
You can say that he's doing it for the publicity, but fake gestures are just as good as real ones if nobody finds out your motive.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Thats more good than you probably have ever done.

Reading your posts, I bet you have NEVER went without eating for more 3 hours at a time.

So whose the real "doofus"? A person taking a stand for something good, or a person posting criticism from their cozy computer chair at home, with a full belly of food, who does nothing but rant nonsense through his little keyboard?

edit on 17-12-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Yeah. 24 hours isn't much of a hunger strike.

On the other hand, with the way they're pampered, I imagine he thinks of it as a grand gesture indeed.

Also, thank you for posting a lot. Your Joker kitty always makes me smile when I see it.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

What a doofus. Going on a hunger strike for 24 hours is about the most retarded and empty gesture I can imagine. Oh no, a whole day! I hope he knows what he's doing, sounds dangerous. I'll give the people going on 9 days props though.

Oh Good Allah! If I knew how to put a picture in here!

The guy needs a diet anyway by the looks of him. I wonder how many ounces he lost?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

Thats more good you probably have ever done. Reading your posts, I bet you havent went without eating for more 3 hours at a time.

I knew someone was going to come in here and say that, was hoping they'd do a better job though.

'That's more good you probably have ever done.'

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
Thats more good than you probably have ever done.

Reading your posts, I bet you have NEVER went without eating for more 3 hours at a time.

So whose the real "doofus"? A person taking a stand for something good, or a person posting criticism from their cozy computer chair at home, with a full belly of food, who does nothing but rant nonsense through his little keyboard?

edit on 17-12-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

Turn Americans on each other.

Complete.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Also, thank you for posting a lot. Your Joker kitty always makes me smile when I see it.

Thanks!

To the person wanting to embed the pic, I agree. Boy could stand to drop a few.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors

Sorry, but his stand for something good is about as effective as saying he didn't shave for 24 hours.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by supine

Sorry, but his stand for something good is about as effective as saying he didn't shave for 24 hours.

Exactly.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I respect his effort.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by raydaniels

I respect his effort.

What effort? I respect other things about him. Not this.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
It's not as if this is anything new to the guy. He gets to fast at least once a year anyway, so he is well practiced at it.

wiki.answers.com...

Adult, sane, healthy Muslims must fast from dawn to sunset during the Islamic month of Ramadan. Islamic fasting means refraining from eating, drinking, and marital intimacy between dawn and sunset. The ill and travelers are excused from fasting, but must make up the days they missed later in the year. Those who are permanently unable to fast may buy food to feed the poor, instead.

Perhaps this was a make up day for the guy?

edit on 17-12-2011 by supine because: edit

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by supine

Perhaps this was a make up day for the guy?

You amuse me.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Going on a hunger strike for 24 hours is about the most retarded and empty gesture I can imagine.

I agree. I occasionally go 2 full days just for spiritual reasons. But I will admit I find the second day easier than the first.

Calling 24 hours a "hunger strike" just proves how easy his life must be.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
No doubt there will be a big mac meal awaiting him once his 24 hours of hunger strike is over. Complete Publicity stunt on his part, those at the occupy DC should call him out on it.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

I actually forget to eat some days. Not for awhile because I've been a bit of a slacker.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Your the same as me, I always forget to eat if I am too busy doing something or at work.

Many times I have been told I look under weight.

Well sorry some off us have targets to meet!

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

An empty gesture.
A cry for attention.

Now, if Michael Moore went on a two week hunger strike, we could feed South America for a year.

In solidarity with Save The Spleen Foundation, I, beezzer, vow not to jello-wrestle with sharks.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Maybe the effort is not that great, but at least he´s willing to publically show his support for OWS.

There´s not much support for OWS comming from congress, is there?

And also, for me, not eating for 24 hours would be very unpleasant, I have a very fast metabolism and if I don´t eat something within an hour of waking up i get stomacheaches and feel sick.

edit, Or should I view the OP from an anti OWS point of view?
edit on 17-12-2011 by CaptainInstaban because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join