It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Derrick Jensen speaks to protesters in Oakland (watch if you still don't understand OWS)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I decided to create this thread because I've seen a lot of posts on here lately ridiculing the OWS protesters, or suggesting they should just go home already and "get a JOB!!!!" For a site that is all about conspiracies, there sure are a lot of closed-minded people on here. Which really makes you wonder. Anyway, Derrick Jensen is a writer and one of the most insightful people I've ever listened to, plus he can leave you lol-ing. This is a video of him speaking at occupy Oakland, discussing the underlying issues of the world we live in and why we should ALL be supporting this.

Now a few more things.......

I know a lot of the protesters don't truly get this either. They know something's not right, but they don't realize how deep it goes. Well they all have my support because they at least have the courage to stand together out there.

There were other people speaking at this event too. If you want to hear them, go to youtube and type in Deep Green Resistance at occupy Oakland - the whole thing's about an hour long.

If you want to listen to this guy some more, youtube is obviously a good place to start. A couple months ago I also started a thread here where Jensen spends about an hour talking about his book Endgame.

And finally: there is some loud wildlife noise for the first 10 seconds of this so don't sh1t yourselves.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Come on, if it were up to guys like Jensen we would all be living on collective subsistence farms. Someone needs to give Jensen a Zoloft.
edit on 13-12-2011 by SirMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Yeah, another tree hugger, just what we need.
How about getting real and dealing with real problems instead babbling about something that isn't going to change. A few minutes in and I had enough. This is the problem with OWS. It spends way too much effort and energy on things that really don't amount to anything in the vast scope of our political and social issues.

Fail...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

What's wrong with that? You say collective subsistence farms, I say family farms. I would much rather have my food grown locally by everyday people than by ruthless, profit-driven soulless corporations like monsanto. So actually, if it were up to guys like Jensen, there would be an abundance of locally owned and operated farms to provide communities with food, and would make growing and trading excess food optional, but ONLY optional. There would be no war because the men who plan out the wars would be turned on. And there would definitely be no zoloft. Thanks for making his point.

@haarvick: "a few minutes in and you had enough" ?? You missed the best part! And you talk about "getting real and dealing with real problems "...............just what on earth would you consider to be a REAL problem, if he's the one babbling? I believe what he's talking about are the CAUSES behind many of the other problems in the world. And you proudly display your "Ron Paul 2012!" signature........okay.
edit on 13-12-2011 by greenWeenie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
OWS is dead, get over it
Done, stick a fork in it
Kaput, fuggitaboutit

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by beachbumfun

That's very deep, thanks for that.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by greenWeenie

Spouting about stolen land, etc. does nothing.
How about addressing income disparity, corrupt politicians, how to remove career politicians and put responsible people into office. That would get my attention. As soon as some environmentalist opens his/her mouth, I am done. Until you fix the top the rest is just a pipe dream and a way for someone to get attention.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Derrick Jensen doesnt share your concerns ... he is the literary Ted Kaczynski. He wants to tear down every home and apartment complex, dynamite every dam and factory. He is the ultimate luddite.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

You want to work in the fields all day, be my guest, but I don’t. There’s a reason millions of people leave the farms and come to work in the cities each year. As bad as their conditions may look to the outsider, it a dramatic improvement of their condition from their perspective.

You must have not actually read Jensen. He is a cowardly luddite … a unibomber who hasn’t grown the balls to send his first mail bomb. If it were up to him every trace of civilization would be wiped out (along with 99% of the population) so we could all revel in some mythical egalitarian past that never existed.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Well, I suggest he pack a BOB and wait for the walls to fall like the rest of us.
He may just get his wish!

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

You must have not actually read Jensen. He is a cowardly luddite … a unibomber who hasn’t grown the balls to send his first mail bomb. If it were up to him every trace of civilization would be wiped out (along with 99% of the population) so we could all revel in some mythical egalitarian past that never existed.

Actually no, I haven't read that. I would love to read the part where he advocates eliminating 99% of the population and tearing down every home. Could you tell me where I can read those things please?

No you can't, I'll save you the time. He says civilization will wipe itself off the map by destroying the ecosystems and exhausting the resources that provide us with life.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Endgame, Vol. 2: Resistance ,,, its the logical conclusion of his sick fantasy.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

His sick fantasy is a world in which we co-exist with nature and each other, instead of destroying both. I don't know what's so f-ing controversial about any of this.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Because it isn't realistic.
You really need to get on board the reality express. It's people like him that turn the rest of us off.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenWeenie
reply to post by SirMike

His sick fantasy is a world in which we co-exist with nature and each other, instead of destroying both. I don't know what's so f-ing controversial about any of this.

"Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded- here and there, now and then- are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty. This is known as bad luck." - Robert A.Heinlein

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The guy is bashing Capitalism. What's new? OWS has been doing it since they started their Occupation. So if we don't agree with ending Capitalism and nationalizing the FED and taxing the wealthy excessively then in your mind we are just dumbells who don't get the conspiracy....
Thanks for that. I will keep my eyes open any time you post.

For the record, I love nature but the Greens go really overboard with their agenda, so much so that you enable the Rockefellers de-population agenda and the BIlderbergs desire to tax us globally for their personal benefit. So don't lecture me on conspiracy theories and which ones are acceptable.

P.S. if you lecture me I will lecture back. Get informed on UN Agenda 21 and get back to me.
edit on 13-12-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-12-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

I'm glad you brought up Agenda 21, but I don't understand how that puts us at odds...........most environmentalists, Jensen in particular, are completely against the groups and individuals trying to implement that.

You are aware of Agenda 21, yet you seem to be against OWS? Can you explain? If you are against OWS because you think it's controlled, fine. I am referring to the people who are against a large number of people coming together to stand as one and say, enough; because that alone has been a major accomplishment. I am talking about the curmudgeons who classify all of them as attention whores, or wanting handouts, or in need of a nice 60-hour a week job at some factory because they have too much free time.

join