It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MPAA head Chris Dodd : for the internet censorship bill, China is our model

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Well now they just admit it in your face.

MPAA Head Chris Dodd on Online Censorship Bill: China's the Model

If you're wondering why lawyers and Hollywood folks would get behind legislation to censor the Internet, you only need to listen to former Senator Chris Dodd, now the head of the MPAA, who last week explained to Variety that the lobby is only asking for the same kind of power to censor the Internet as the government has in the People's Republic of China:

"When the Chinese told Google that they had to block sites or they couldn't do [business] in their country, they managed to figure out how to block sites."

Unconstitutional all the way. Chris Dodd was voted out of office, but he still hang on to screw with people... he's like herpes.

And the bill is so bad...

The bills essentially call for censorship of online speech in such a way, and with so little recourse for those accused of "infringing" on intellectual property rights, that the bills will likely not survive the scrutiny of the courts

But the courts have shown time and time again how they side with big government. So we must make sure it doesn't pass... because then you give all the power into the hands of the sell outs at the Supreme Court.
edit on 12-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Incredible.

Make sure you guys fight this one tooth and nail.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I wish there was more quotes on that website. The website you link to has the same quote(singular), but just more of the author saying how bad it is. Without all the quotes, how do you know how bad this is? I'd like concrete examples.
How do you know this website isn't just twisting words around?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Protect IP Act, Internet censorship?

NYT full front page add to fight internet censorship

And you don't even need to read the bill to know it's bad... especially when they say ``China is our model``.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by Ghost375

. . .

And you don't even need to read the bill to know it's bad... especially when they say ``China is our model``.

Well said....

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
This is one of those things where it shouldn't matter if you're a republican or a democrat , this just completely wrong in every sense of the word. I'm not naive , I know how bad things have gotten in this world but I'm still a bit amazed at the fact that a country that prides itself on freedom would even consider doing something as flat out wrong as this.

I can't even imagine the sort of person who would think this is a good idea. It's just inane to me in every way.
By the way how do I know it's bad? Because I know what the bill stands for it. It's a bill that allows the government to censor the internet and shut down websites they don't like including this one.
The internet is one of the last basins of freedom in the world and this bill clearly was created to limit those freedoms.
The entire point of this bill is anti-freedom , obedience and control.
edit on 12-12-2011 by Reptius because: answering a question

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
If the movie industry made movies that were worth the price of admission instead of churning out recycled trash then piracy might be less of an issue.

Or they could stop charging so much for said trash.

If they embraced a cheaper business model for legit online content maybe less people would go the pirate route.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOven

This is exactly it. We get lowgrade unoriginal films because they are safe to make and then we are expected to swoon. How many of the films in the last year that did well weren't reboots? The MPAA and IRAA are mad because they didn't adapt to emerging technologies making their business models obsolete. Granted I do feel bad for the crew guys that work on these projects, but this is the price you pay when you take art and creativity and stick it in a formula. I don't think I have actually enjoyed a film since the first Pirates of the Caribbean came out, the follow ups not quite so much fun.

It is the same thing with TV to though we just dropped subscription based TV, because why would I want to pay for infomercial channels? The internet is here time for certain industries to adapt or die.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
In case no one knows how bad this is, if it passes, the internet as we know it will be over.

The people in power have no idea what they are doing and are being paid up to $500,000 each to vote for the bill. Not only that, no one against the bill (such as Google or YouTube and many more) are allowed to testify in congress, but people for the billl (such as MPAA) are.

I would be surprised if the bill passed because it is such a violent affront to freedom of speech, the internet and our rights. However, the people in power are so out of touch with technology and are getting paid so much money, that it might pass.

If you really want to get mad, consider it in this light - congressmen and women voting for this are getting paid up to $500,000 by lobbyists for big corporations to vote AGAINST who they represent.
edit on 15-12-2011 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Lol, china is a communist state, america is a 'free' state, to say your modeling something on China is insane, how on earth can you people stand to have these guys in government?!? Are you mad?

top topics

join