It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposed New Policies Require Future Protesters to Pay in Advance to Stage an Event in Wisconsin

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Free speech is getting expensive in Wisconsin.

Following demonstrations earlier this year which drew up to 100,000 people to the Wisconsin Capitol, Republican Gov. Scott Walker has proposed new policies that would require future protesters to pay in advance to stage an event, at a cost of $50 per hour, per Capitol Police officer.

Police may also require a liability insurance or a bond, according to The Milwaukee Journal Sentinal.

Demonstrators will also be on the hook for any damage and cleanup following protests. Walker’s administration had claimed that the pro-union protests earlier this year had costs as much as $7.5 million, but later admitted that the actual costs were far less.

Under the new policy, permits will be required for groups of four or more people who want to do any activity inside the Capitol. Groups of 100 or more gathering outside the Capitol must also apply for a permit 72 hours in advance. Police will have some leeway if unforeseen events lead to spontaneous gatherings.

Source

My first thought when I read this was "shouldn't the taxes people pay cover these costs?". It looks like the answer to my question in Wisconsin is NO.

I'm not American but I believe you all still have something called the constitution that allows you to protest. They keep implementing stupid laws such as protest zones and other similar rules that trample over your constitution.

Now they might bill you for it too.

The people who break the law should get detained and charged the applicable fine bu In no way what so ever should citizens have to pay for the right to protest. Please keep in mind that I'm in Canada and things are just as bad if not worse over here so please don't take this post as me portraying my country to be any better.

Logic should tell us that these policies will not get approved, especially if this guy ever plans on running for office again, regrettably logic hasn't been very common lately. Hopefully word of this gets out and the people of Wisconsin will put and end to this.

Every time I check the news I'm hearing about something like this in North America or Europe. We are supposed to be the free people of this world but we are beginning to look more and more like a police state each day.
edit on 2-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
You can have your 1st amendment right. It's just gonna cost you now. Buy a permit! But don't expect to get anywhere with it.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Someone should protest this :/

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Someone should protest this :/

Let's save up!

We should have enough by the Spring time.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Following demonstrations earlier this year which drew up to 100,000 people to the Wisconsin Capitol, Republican Gov. Scott Walker has proposed new policies that would require future protesters to pay in advance to stage an event, at a cost of $50 per hour, per Capitol Police officer.

Totally unconstitutional.

Protest permits are unconstitutional.

Don't pay anything, don't get a permit, protest away, screw the cops who enforce unconstitutional laws and screw the government who pass unconstitutional bills.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Well when free speech turns into destroying parks then yeah i have no problem with them paying for it. You have the right to free speech and right to assembly but you do not have the right to destroy public land.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Pay for FREE speech? In this supposed Democratic society?

Who pays? the audience? Corporate sponsors?

If so, then let leadership set the example. Nothing like walking the talk.

So guess how much that idiot Scott Walker needs to pay to the treasury for making that 'speech' to charge citizens for his free speech and eveytime he opens his idiotic greedy mouth, as well as his expenditure for his existance as a public offical using public assesories?

Who the hell elected this moron?
edit on 2-12-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It's how the Koch/Scott Walker comedy duo keep the protesters at bay.

"I'm sorry you must pay in advance to protest - cost of permits? 7.77 trillion dollars" BWA-HA-HA!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrimalRed
Well when free speech turns into destroying parks then yeah i have no problem with them paying for it. You have the right to free speech and right to assembly but you do not have the right to destroy public land.

That is why the people who break specific laws get arrested and go thru the legal system and pay whatever fine is associated with their crime. The article explains they must pay in advance for each officer. That is not the same.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

People pay a crap-load of taxes every paycheck for things like this. I'm horrified every couple of weeks when I look at my paycheck stub. They don't have enough? Maybe they should stop wasting the money on useless and frivolous spending. This is OUR country, it is OUR money. We (stupidly) trust our politicians to use that money wisely and distribute it in places of need. They are OUR employees who's salary we pay so that they do our accounting for us. One of those needs is restoring public parks. Those protesters already pay taxes for park maintenance. What the hell is all this about a protesting permit??? We can protest anything at any time if we wish to do so, so long as we do not cause harm to other human beings. It is our right to keep the Government in check. If we destroy some grass along the way, it's a small price to pay. Guess what...grass grows back.

Do I believe that people should have camped out? No, I think they should have been marching this whole time and sleeping in their own beds at night,... but that's my way of doing things. Do I believe they have the right to litter? Hell no, I don't. I wish people would have enough sense to clean up after themselves. Unfortunately some people don't have the sense, so we leave it to our public employees paid with our tax dollars to do the job for us. That's what they are there for.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Time to occupy Republican Gov. Scott Walker Capitol hill, or better yet, how about hanging him by his balls in front of the Capitol hill, perhaps this will solve the problems with this corrupted political officials agendas, nothing they do is for the benefit of the people, be aware Wisconcians they get to make the laws and you pay for it.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Nothing like engendering a society in which only the wealthy can afford free-speech.

This sounds like someone's idea of a win-win for the government... which is obviously not "of, for, or by" the people.

So imagine the scenario, where you have to take up a collection from disenfranchised, dis-empowered, and otherwise distressed people to 'afford' to be able to seek redress via a public gathering... since the government offers no meaningful alternative....

It's like mandating an insurance bond to be allowed to exercise your "self-evident" and "inalienable" rights, which politicians see as a "privilege" to be used like a carrot on a stick.

Or perhaps a corporate sponsor... who of course would only sponsor that which brings them closer to a heftier bottom-line... or maybe they will use it like advertising..... "all protesters must wear the company logo"....

Seriously...., does anyone actually speak to these people? Or are they in some bizarro bubble, playing us like a sims game?
edit on 2-12-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Politicians in America are so full of buy out corrupted interest money that they do not count themselves as part of the regular slave population, actually they see the rest of the voter and tax payer like the aristocrats see them, nothing but sheep to be exploited for the common good of the elite in power.

Is American tax payer waking up to this? sadly those that are has been questioned for fighting back for constitutional rights, how dare our nation to even havea constitution to protect the slaves, right?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The people of Wisconsin need to bring this to the Supreme Court, I can't believe that these pricks so openly spit on the Constitution. To those of you who have laughed and cheered as the shackles were put in place, congratulations because pretty soon they will be locked.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I honestly don't think you understand what you are advocating.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

You probably already know this but this is the same Governor who caused some controversy earlier this year:

Wisconsin Governor Threatens To Replace Union Workers With National Guard

This guys sounds like a real piece of work

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

ALL protestors do not destroy parks. in my community we build them. stop your generalizations and stand up for something before its too late.!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." - First Amendment to the United States Constitution

Sorry Scott, this is not constitutional no matter how you try and portray it. All people have a right to peaceably assemble, no matter how much you despise them.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." - First Amendment to the United States Constitution

Sorry Scott, this is not constitutional no matter how you try and portray it. All people have a right to peaceably assemble, no matter how much you despise them.

You know, I can't believe they are this stupid. It is prima facie unconstitutional and impossible to even entertain that such legislation can pass (barring a change in form of government.)

So what's the point of introducing this legislation? No lawyer or Judge can deny that bringing commerce into the matter makes it an explicit limitation of the right.

So what is it for? Impact? Political theater? Just to get a rise out of the alert? Why even try this?

Can you imagine a reason? I can't aside from speculating that this would be a business solution to a governance problem.... shouldn't they know better?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL

ALL protestors do not destroy parks. in my community we build them. stop your generalizations and stand up for something before its too late.!

Stand up for what? Waiving a sign around like a retard?

<<   2 >>

join