It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA allows meat and produce to be blasted with radioactive nuclear waste, virus cocktails

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

According to data listed on the FDA's own website, fresh conventional foods are typically blasted with 1 kilogray (kGy) of gamma radiation, which is the equivalent of 16,700,000 chest X-rays, or 333 times the human lethal dose. Fresh poultry and red meat are subjected to 3 kGys and 4.5 kGys, respectively, with frozen red meat subjected to radiation blasts as high as 7 kGys.

The FDA has approved gamma radiation doses of 10 kGys for enzyme preparations, which include various food additives, solvents, preservatives, and antioxidants. And spices, herbs, and seasonings are permitted to be blasted with an astounding 30 kGys of gamma radiation, which is the equivalent of 500,000,000 chest X-rays, or 10,000 times the human lethal dose.

This nuclear warfare against food most certainly destroys vital nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, and also creates a number of toxic byproducts in the process. These include formaldehyde, a toxin used in rat poison, as well as benzene, formic acid, and various radiolytic products like 2-alkylcyclobutanones that are known to cause cytotoxic (cell damage), genotoxic (DNA damage), and carcinogenic (cancer-causing) damage.

Beyond radiation, conventional food is often quietly sprayed with bacteriophage virus cocktails that supposedly kill other dangerous bacteria that might be lurking on food. Without public review or oversight, the FDA declared in 2006 that this form of biological warfare is "Generally Recognized As Safe" (GRAS), but most people have no idea it is being applied to the food they eat.

Other countries are aware of all this, though, as many have stopped importing food from the US in response. GMOs, dangerous pesticides and herbicides, nuclear radiation, and virus cocktails are unacceptable to most of the rest of the world, but are apparently just fine for Americans. This is all just one more reason to stick to organic food.

After reading this I'm actually shocked. I realized that food iradiation was occuring, but I didn't realize it was allowed at these doses as well as the virus cocktails they are spraying on food. Now more than ever we should be seeking natural and oraganic alternatives to this. There is no doubt in my mind these practices are causing a massive amount of healthcare issues.

1. GMO's: CHECK
2. Cytotoxic Cancer Causing Pesticies: CHECK
3. Your Food Being Exposed To Massive Doses Of Radiation: CHECK
4. Virus Cocktails Being Sprayed On Your Food: CHECK
5. Your Foods Vitamin And Mineral Content Being Leached: CHECK
6. Other Countries Have Taken Notice And Are Ceasing The Import Of Us Foods: CHECK

(Source)
edit on 19-11-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I read this the other day on yahoo I think? I'm not sure...anyway.
It's gross to think I have no idea what I'm eating.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

I read this the other day on yahoo I think? I'm not sure...anyway.
It's gross to think I have no idea what I'm eating.

That's the point. Keep the general population ignorant of everything...especially this. Because if people were aware, I'm sure they would start buying differently or maybe even start farming on their own.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

After reading this I'm actually shocked. I realized that food iradiation was occuring, but I didn't realize it was allowed at these doses as well as the virus cocktails they are spraying on food. Now more than ever we should be seeking natural and oraganic alternatives to this. There is no doubt in my mind these practices are causing a massive amount of healthcare issues.

I was wondering about this the other day because I have noticed something the last few months or so.

I only cook for myself these days, but having cooked for a large family in the past I still tend to over buy at times. So, I sort of forget about produce in the fridge at times that ends up way in the back. What I have noticed is that foods no longer seem to spoil at the rate they used to. A couple of weeks in the fridge for a tomato used to produce a nice science project. That no longer happens. Try it if you don't believe me. I swear I now have franken tomatoes that will not rot! Also, even when eaten within just a couple of days, food no longer tastes the same. No to little flavor!

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Although the radiation does seem to be of concern I don't really think bacteriophage are well known enough in the west to validate these fears. Bacteria phage only attack a single bacteria that it's receptors fit into. It's an old medical idea that was big back in the soviet blocks. There is a good documentary on it called "phage: the virus that cures.

It's really quite genius as the phage are found locally in raw sewage were the virus is found and evolves with its linked bacteria as only that single bacteria is attack by a single phage. It's a long drawn out process or trial/error to find the phage that fits the bacteria that you want to counter, but once you do it's amazingly safe and cheap way to fight infection and control diseases.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

HSB! I knew it was happening too, but didn't realize the doses. Another reason to stop eating entirely.

FYI - Radiation exposure causes proteins to misfold, potentially creating prion diseases like Mad Cow.

environmental insults, either physical (heat, pressure, radiation) or chemical (heavy metals, arsenate, toxins), also cause proteins to misfold into toxic shapes.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by GhettoRice

I'll check this out. But remember how "wonderful" and "great" certain "advancements" have been, like GMO's, and pesticides.

"Oh this virus is wonderful, it evolves by itself, and kills only the bad bacteria."

20 years later...

"Oh my god, it's taking over!!! AHHHHHH!"

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

HSB! I knew it was happening too, but didn't realize the doses. Another reason to stop eating entirely.

FYI - Radiation exposure causes proteins to misfold, potentially creating prion diseases like Mad Cow.

environmental insults, either physical (heat, pressure, radiation) or chemical (heavy metals, arsenate, toxins), also cause proteins to misfold into toxic shapes.

Thanks for the link! Yes, this should be added to the list. Radiation causing protein misfolding increasing the likelihood of prion based diseases.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I dont know how true this is but one of the posts on that thread said :

I really hate biased, uneducated articles like this one.

Gamma radiation has extremely high energy, but will not contribute to any lasting radioactivity. Its ionizing effects are short-lasting. Europe has been using gamma radiation for years to kill bacteria in food. You expose yourself to much more radiation going outside at night than you would in a year of eating food that gets irradiated.

Cooking food in general will destroy vitamins - gamma radiation is going to destroy far fewer than your microwave or even cooking on a stove.

edit on 19-11-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

That is true, lots of things we thought were great now kill us, DDT, asbestos and the like.

I can only hope the phage is like what they show in the documentary which seemed to have very little chance of making it to the west without being bastardized by materialistic medical salesmen.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

You know they have large lobbying agencies that come out with this information.

I'm sure they would suggest 10,000 times the radioactive dose required to kill a human being is totally harmless, and that it would never cause protein misfolds to occur potentially creating prion based diseases.....

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

A prion i/ˈpriːɒn/[1] is an infectious agent composed of protein in a misfolded form.[2] This is in contrast to all other known infectious agents (virus/bacteria/fungus/parasite) which must contain nucleic acids (either DNA, RNA, or both).

(Source)

AND

The results suggested that changes in the hydrophobic surface induced by gamma irradiation led to protein misfolding

(Source)

But wait, what's a prion again? How is it harmful?

The infectious agent in BSE is believed to be a specific type of misfolded protein called a prion. Prion proteins carry the disease between individuals and cause deterioration of the brain. BSE is a type of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE).

Source

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

This nuclear warfare against food most certainly destroys vital nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, and also creates a number of toxic byproducts in the process. These include formaldehyde, a toxin used in rat poison, as well as benzene, formic acid, and various radiolytic products like 2-alkylcyclobutanones that are known to cause cytotoxic (cell damage), genotoxic (DNA damage), and carcinogenic (cancer-causing) damage.

www.naturalnews.com...
A typical claim from naturalnews. Guess what? The process of cooking food produces the same things.
www.acsh.org...

Another blind claim:

Other countries are aware of all this, though, as many have stopped importing food from the US in response. GMOs, dangerous pesticides and herbicides, nuclear radiation, and virus cocktails are unacceptable to most of the rest of the world, but are apparently just fine for Americans. This is all just one more reason to stick to organic food.
Really? What countries have stopped importing food from the US because of irradiation?

EFSA’s experts conclude that there are no microbiological risks for the consumer linked to the use of food irradiation. The practice of irradiation, although effective, should be considered only as one of several processes which can reduce the presence of pathogens in food. They say irradiation should be part of an integrated food safety management programme to protect consumers, which includes good agricultural, manufacturing and hygienic practices. The experts state that most of the substances formed in food by irradiation are also formed during other types of food processing, with levels comparable to those arising, for instance, from the heat treatment of foods.

www.efsa.europa.eu...

As of December 2006, food irradiation has been approved by some 60 countries either for specific or unlimited applications, and it has been applied successfully for several types of food in more than 30 countries.

www.acsh.org...

Naturalnews is a cesspit.

edit on 11/19/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

See my post above, Phage. Irradiation is not the same as heating food.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Im no expert in this field but isnt mis-folding proteins that lead to regenerative brain disease some thing that happens in living tissue not food?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I didn't say it was. I said that the same "bad things" that naturalnews says it produces are produced by cooking food.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Im no expert in this field but isnt mis-folding proteins that lead to regenerative brain disease some thing that happens in living tissue not food?

If that's the case, then everything you eat would be safe, because it's dead tissue.

Prion's aren't living things, btw.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Protein folding or mis-folding is a process that happens in something that is alive when proteins are formed.

Protein folding is the process by which a protein structure assumes its functional shape or conformation. It is the physical process by which a polypeptide folds into its characteristic and functional three-dimensional structure from random coil. Each protein exists as an unfolded polypeptide or random coil when translated from a sequence of mRNA to a linear chain of amino acids. This polypeptide lacks any developed three-dimensional structure. Amino acids interact with each other to produce a well-defined three-dimensional structure, the folded protein, known as the native state.

Surely none of that is going to happen in something that is dead.

edit on 19-11-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Funny you should use an article titled Gamma irradiation as an alternative treatment to abolish allergenicity of lectins in food to claim that food irradiation is dangerous. Did you read it?

The pioneering viewpoints presented on the stability of a food allergen after gamma irradiation might contribute to the development of harmless and more effective methods to reduce or eliminate food allergenicity.

The authors think food irradiation may help to reduce allergic reactions to food.
www.mendeley.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Funny you should use an article titled Gamma irradiation as an alternative treatment to abolish allergenicity of lectins in food to claim that food irradiation is dangerous. Did you read it?

The pioneering viewpoints presented on the stability of a food allergen after gamma irradiation might contribute to the development of harmless and more effective methods to reduce or eliminate food allergenicity.

The authors think food irradiation may help to reduce allergic reactions to food.
www.mendeley.com...

Ironic, but I would just go back to my original point about how we can "cure and reduce" things. And how that led us down the path of pesticides and GMO's... and probably alot of things we haven't discovered yet...

Phage, do you not eat organic food? And would you chose it over "conventional" food?

<<   2  3 >>

join