It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the weird bird that’s half-chicken, half-turkey.The churkey!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Would you eat something like that?A churkey?I thing this world is going wilder every day.What will be our food in 10 years?

TextThis is the Transylvanian naked neck chicken, popularly known as the "churkey" because it appears to have the body of a chicken and the head of a turkey. And this mysterious mutation could actually help feed the world. What makes the churkey - or, as it is also rather predictably known, the turken - appear turkey-like is its neck, which is completely devoid of feathers. Edinburgh University researchers believe this is the result of a mutation, which was then exacerbated and enhanced by the vitamin A-like substance produced in the bird's neck. This substance in turn leads to the creation of a protein known as BMP12, which stops feather growth and leads to the bald neck that the churkey enjoys today. This is likely the same basic process that has given other naked-necked birds like vultures and ostriches their distinctive appearance, and it helps solve the evolutionary mystery of how so many different birds have gained naked necks when they don't have a common ancestor. What's particularly cool about this mutation is that it could actually help save lives. Their naked necks make churkeys far better-equipped to handled hot tropical climates than their chicken counterparts, and their introduction could provide a much-needed jolt to poultry production in the developing world.

source(io9.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
[color=mediumorchid]Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Churkey...

Edited to Add: I don't think I would eat it.

Stories like this are why I want my own chicken coop.
edit on 18-11-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Will I still get sleepy if I eat a lot of it?

Has God chimed in on this one yet on what Holiday we're supposed to eat this bird?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

On thanksnewhalloween!

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith

TextThis is the Transylvanian naked neck chicken, popularly known as the "churkey" because it appears to have the body of a chicken and the head of a turkey. And this mysterious mutation could actually help feed the world. What makes the churkey - or, as it is also rather predictably known, the turken - appear turkey-like is its neck, which is completely devoid of feathers. Edinburgh University researchers believe this is the result of a mutation, which was then exacerbated and enhanced by the vitamin A-like substance produced in the bird's neck. This substance in turn leads to the creation of a protein known as BMP12, which stops feather growth and leads to the bald neck that the churkey enjoys today. This is likely the same basic process that has given other naked-necked birds like vultures and ostriches their distinctive appearance, and it helps solve the evolutionary mystery of how so many different birds have gained naked necks when they don't have a common ancestor. What's particularly cool about this mutation is that it could actually help save lives. Their naked necks make churkeys far better-equipped to handled hot tropical climates than their chicken counterparts, and their introduction could provide a much-needed jolt to poultry production in the developing world.

source(io9.com...

Who cares about all that sciency gobeldygook, get to the really important issue here:

How does it taste???

If it just tastes like plain old chicken then this is a non-story IMHO.

edit on 11/18/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Now I'm left with a dilemma; chicken or turkey stuffing?

Million dollar idea!!!

Churkey Stuffing!

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

No it taste like a Churkey!the chicken and the turkey,a story to tell!It's made to lure chupacabras on US soil!

edit on 18-11-2011 by diamondsmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Albechurkey! !!!!!! Haw haw! >:3

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by InnerstellarOne
Albechurkey! !!!!!! Haw haw! >:3
With 4 legs?I wonder if the CIA will shoot one on thanksgiving at White House!On site.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Oh have you not heard? It was my understanding that everyone heard.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
THAT is a turken. We raised them when I was a child.
www.backyardchickens.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ImAwareSC

Then what is a churkey ?They look different!

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
If someone could just get these to breed with ducks, we'll have an actual Turducken.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
If someone could just get these to breed with ducks, we'll have an actual Turducken.
Maybe a camelostrich

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
now if it only tastes like beef... life would be complete

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

We called them naked neck chickens. They are chickens. They are not new and they are not GMO ,they are not chimera. They are just strange looking chickens. They lay chicken eggs and if you ate one, it would taste
"just like chicken"...because it is chicken!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by zachi
reply to post by diamondsmith

We called them naked neck chickens. They are chickens. They are not new and they are not GMO ,they are not chimera. They are just strange looking chickens. They lay chicken eggs and if you ate one, it would taste
"just like chicken"...because it is chicken!
Can you send me one?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
A Chook Farm bred Chickens with Huntsman Spiders here in Australia some years ago so that we could have Chicken's with eight legs. They were called "Huntkens".
Never did find out what they tasted like because they were that fast nobody caught one.
Hate meself!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzTiger
A Chook Farm bred Chickens with Huntsman Spiders here in Australia some years ago so that we could have Chicken's with eight legs. They were called "Huntkens".
Never did find out what they tasted like because they were that fast nobody caught one.
Hate meself!
Genetically modified chicken to provided 8 legs instead of 2, less chicken slaying more in the bucket. Could spawn new chicken sports.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Essentially it is just a chicken with no neck feathers.
I have a finch with no feathers on its neck does that make it a finkey or turkinch

top topics

<<   2 >>

join