It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something took over me earlier today

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
that why i want to move out of this country where money isnt all that important just a couple years or so there will be a civil war if not there is one now by anonymous who i support

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Very good OP. I feel you! I love animals too and reading your story made me sad at first. Glad you helped them. Thats very sad that the vet didnt do anything. People need more courage.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
It happened yesterday, I was at the veterinarian clinic to get my dog's shots up to date. Keep in my mind that my financial situation is not the best in the world. While I was there waiting, this man and his daughter came inside with their dog that seemed very sick. They had the $125 for the basic physical exam to see what was wrong with the dog, however the receptionist told them that any treatment after that would be at extra cost. The man told the receptionist that he had no money to cover the extra expenses after that. He was told to fill out an application for something called "Care Credit", it's a credit card but it can only be used for medical expenses. He didn't qualify.

He was begging to the receptionist in front of his 12 year old daughter, their dog was in very bad shape. It's shocking how some veterinarians claim they "love animals" but they ignore animals that are in desperate need of help, time and time again. I know that they have expenses to pay, and a staff that expects a paycheck every week but how can they sleep at night knowing they let an animal die, just because it's owners didn't have money?

I was sitting there, and I was listening to the whole thing, and I told myself that I needed to do something to help them. For me, money is not as important as saving a life whether it's a human or an animal. So as they were leaving and getting into their car, I followed them and called the man over, I talked to him and told him that I would talk to the receptionist and ask her I could use my credit card to pay for their expenses, I was able to and I told the man that he could pay me monthly or whenever he could. I really don't care if he doesn't pay me, I couldn't care less about the money or if he pays me back. What's rewarding for me is knowing that I helped someone, when they thought they had no one to turn to, their dog will be okay and the little girl is happy, knowing her dog will be okay.

It's sad how money decides whether or not you'll have a place to sleep, if you'll eat or if you'll live or die. What happened to compassion? Why have we decided to put Money above everything else? Have we really sunk so low that having money decides whether or not someone will live or die?
edit on 11/15/2011 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

Whats worse is that this same scenario is being played out constantly... only its with human beings.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I own a small business and we are relocating our office to a larger space in the front of the business complex where my current business resides. My brother is a contractor and he is doing the office remodel in preparation for our move. Our family worked yesterday (Thanksgiving Day in the USA) after preparing the meal we would have later that day. We live in Washington state where it rains daily and is cold.

My brother came to me and said there is a homeless guy curled up in front of one of the businesses. I drove my car around to the side of the building to find out what was going on in his life. I couldn't stand the thought of him being without a warm place to sleep, especially on a holiday. He said he does construction and handy-man type work and he had been out of work for a long time. He ran out of money and had no place to sleep anymore. I gave him $100 and told him we would drive him to get a cheap motel. He said it was the luckiest day of his life receiving that money. He told me he was looking for work and can do most anything from a handy-man perspective. My brother offered him a temporary job helping with the clean-up of the office remodel starting Monday morning. Not sure this will be enough to get him on his feet, but it's a start.

My point isn't to receive kudos for this gesture, but to point out that we should all give of ourselves when we can. This can be a small gesture, from giving someone a coat, to mentoring someone so they can get a job to opening up your home to a family member or friend in need.

What hurts me most is when people will make sure a homeless animal is cared for first verses a human being. That is not to say animals don't deserve to be cared for, what I mean is we need to treat our follow brothers the same as how we would want someone to treat us.

We all might say to ourselves that we will never experience being homeless, hungry or broke. I hope none of you are faced with such things. But there are many events, even if we plan for the best that could happen to any of us. We should treat our brothers and sisters faced with these types of situations with love and compassion. What if it was us in the same situation?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
What a great thing you did for that family and their dog. I'm afraid the way this family was treated is common for most veterinary clinics. Please bear with me while I tell you about the most wonderful vet/man/woman...Doc Piano and wife.

We live out in the country in an economically depressed area. We've always worked multiple jobs and managed fairly well but veterinary care was something we really couldn't afford. Since we live in cattle country the local feed store sells veterinary grade antibiotics etc. I've treated all of our animals except for one dog. He wouldn't stay away from the cattle and a rancher shot him in the chest. It grazed his breast bone leaving a large open wound I couldn't close.

We were told by the feed store about a country vet, Doc Piano and his wife. They took that dog in and kept him for 3 days because they couldn't suture the wound. They sent me home with a topical spray antibiotic and he healed up just fine. They charged us $15.00 and asked if that was too much???? Immunizations were $5 and Mrs. Piano would come out to your truck to inject the dogs so they wouldn't get stressed.

This clinic was far from fancy, basically an out building by the barn. Everything looked as old as the vet and his wife. Mrs. Piano knew that dog was afraid but she handled him with such confidence/caring/skill he completely relaxed and turned himself over to her. Doc Piano was out treating livestock so the Mrs. was in charge. It was amazing to see that woman work without any assistance. She was used to handling live stock so even a large dog was nothing.

Doc Piano has long since passed away and unfortunately no one took his place. They kept local livestock healthy for generations. The Pianos would gladly take trade or whatever people could afford. In some cases I'm sure they weren't paid at all. Doc Piano knew how important animals were to the people. A sick herd of cattle, for a small ranch family, could be ruinous. Dogs too are so very important for country people

I'm here to tell you at one time things were different and not so long ago this was back in the early 90's.

I don't like this brave new world. Society used to be full of Doc Pianos but now they're dying and their children move to cities where money and appearances are everything. Believe me no city person would've ever stepped foot in Doc Piano's "clinic." I'll never forget them and I'll never stop telling people about Doc Piano and his dedicated wife. Great salt of the earth people I was lucky enough to have met.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I think it is wonderful what you did for this dog and the family. It was clear to me from the initial post that you were not sharing this story for praise but because you are astonished that vets who you would think are motivated primarily by their love for animals, would allow a precious dog to suffer and die because the owner could not have afforded to pay the bill in full at that time. I have thought for a while now that it would be a wonderful thing to have a fund set up, through donations by the public, for just this type of monetary emergency.
I also have seen vets turn people away in tears who had very ill animals and couldn't afford to have them treated because they were living paycheck to paycheck and the illness of their pet was an unexpected emergency.
I say, if it's money that is the deciding factor, then lets give them money, as an emergency fund donated by the public who believe that it's the pets and their suffering that should be the primary concern.

I was heartened a couple of weeks ago to read about people who I refer to as 'the colony people'. They trap stray and uncared for cats who hang around their property and take them to the vet and get them vaccinated and neutered/spayed then return them to their property. They also feed them on a daily basis and set up warm outside cat shelters in the winter so they stay warm and don't freeze. They build these shelters with a second opening so the cats have an escape in case of danger and use heating pads that stay warm for up to 12 hours with a blanket over top of it and then straw on top of that because the straw stays dry and keeps them warm.

These colony people do this at their own expense and soley for love of these precious cats. They do this all over America and Canada but you don't really hear about them. To me, they are heroes as well. Just in the last few weeks I know of a woman who fed a sweet stray cat daily for 3 months, but with the first snowfall and bitter cold winds of November, the cat was suffering in the cold. The woman's mother took the cat in, as the person feeding the cat was not able to because it was not allowed by the landlord. Her mother got the cat vaccinated, dewormed, gave her anti-flea medication, had a broken tooth removed from her mouth and was going to have her fixed but it turned out that the cat at some point in the past had already been fixed. This sweet and friendly previously homeless cat is now warm and playfully happy and has been named Snuggles because she is so affectionate.

The little acts of kindness towards are furry friends mean the whole entire world to them and they give so much in return. Loyalty, unconditional love, affection, acceptance and wonderful company. Thank you so much for what you did. At some point in the future, this father who was struggling or his daughter will probably do the same for someone else. And it will continue, these acts of kindness and mercy.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Yes yes well said, like Harvey Danger said. Where have all the merrymakers gone? !!!
edit on 27-11-2011 by VicMT09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Best post ever.

I hate how money owns us all. We are run by money. Every single human on planet earth needs MONEY to survive.

Its disgusting.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CerBeRus666

While I agree that people need to not rely on big brother, people have been forced into this nanny-state mentality BY BIG BROTHER. The jobs market is crumbling, and those responsible knew exactly what they were doing and still did it. You fail to mention that our jobs have been systematically shipped overseas by so called "free trade acts" which are actually not free at all, they are managed trade which guarunteed that jobs would leave this country like a vortex, causing a race to the bottom, if you notice all the jobs went to China and India, in India at least they have human rights, but China is a sesspool of criminality and human rights abuses, basically slavery. The elite are working to deindustrialize this nation and get out with as much money as they can before the inevitable collapse, and nobody is stopping them because they are almost all on the payroll.

So next time before you demonize humanity, try and look and think about the bigger picture, k?
There's a little club, and YOU AIN'T IN IT FRIEND!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Hi Muse7,

Just wanted to say that you are a very compassionate and loving soul...not many would do what you did. I have taken several wild animals to local vets and they saved them just because they were our local animals who needed a helping hand, rather than one held out for money.

You also created some good karma, there...and without intending to. Someone will 'pay it forward' and you will see reward for your generous actions.

Namaste.
GI

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I totally share your way of thinking Muse. Great job and we NEED more people like you in this world to make it a better place.

It's stories like this that make me smile, because when you look at how effed the world is right now and all the bad things we read on ATS and in MSM these kinds of stories help flow some postive vibes but I degress.

Great job, and if I was that man I would be in your debt and extreamly greatful!

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I agree that what you did was very cool, and I thank you for your kindness.

Where I live the Humane Society provides vet care for considerably discounted prices, and contrary to what some television programs tell you, does not require you to surrender your pet.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
As a veterinary student, this story touches me so deeply. When I began my studies, I was convinced that I wanted to work in a vet clinic. That is, until I realized everything revolves around money. The people who work in those clinics don't really care about the animals that come in, they care about the pay cheques. Now, before anyone who works in a clinic jumps down my throat, let me backtrack and say that not all clinics are like that, but in my experience that's what I've found.
I'm very lucky to have an awesome vet who gives me a discount since I am studying in the field, but it's still very expensive. It is amazing that in this crazy world, people like you still exist. I've been lucky enough in being able to cover all of my dogs expenses, but if something ever happened unexpectedly (she got hit by a car, got very sick) I would be totally screwed. And I can guarantee I would not be approved for that credit card either...
Thank you for sharing your story. It gives me a little bit of hope for this world.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Everything is finite. The more finite things are, the more stress on the system. The more stress on the system, the higher the stakes are. Survival of the fittest happens as a result of the competition. Each lifeform wants to survive and experience pleasure. They compete for the good life. Evolution occurs as the species attempts to gain a foothold on pleasure and survival.

I don't blame people for this. It's just the way our universe is. Animals do it. Bacteria do it. Etc.

You cannot possibly save everyone. It's impossible. It's more convenient (and possible) to blame them or to say you have no responsibility over their life. When we framed our government and our economy we went into it -knowing- we cannot save everyone. That's why it's so easy to blame others. And to get mad. And so on. It distracts us from acknowledging that it's impossible to save everyone. Truth can work for you or against you. If a truth forces you to admit that something you desperately want is impossible to reach or attain then that truth is working against you. We have evolved to distract our mind away from it so we're more productive.

Some people are more altruistic than others. I am sure of that. But I also think there's an evolutionary reason for it. I think selfishness serves an equal or greater role as well.

I can say good and bad things about altruistic people and selfish people. All people have characteristics about them that can be thought of as altruistic or selfish.

The question is whether selfishness will survive moreso than altruism or whether altruism will survive moreso than selfishness. Selfishness will almost always lead to individuals. Altruism seems to lead to a more collective oriented world, as opposed to a individual driven world.

If we had access to infinite easy energy, I wonder how it would impact everything?

When I think of making life better for others, I think of improving our technology. Our quality of life has steadily increased as our technology evolves. We will always have a gap between the rich and the poor. There'll always be haves and have-nots. Even so, as our technology progresses, the base cost and ease with which we can live minimally will improve. So if you want to help the poor then help the scientists and business owners market new technology.

As technology improves, we can produce more food, heat our shelters better, clean our water better, and so on. This reduces costs. Costs is what it boils down to. A person living minimally 100 years from now might actually use more energy than the poor do today, but in real-life costs (proportionally) there will be no difference. That person (in the future) will also live longer.

Don't underestimate how technology fits into all of this. Things would be a whole lot worse without the technology. We'd have a lot less to go around. Diseases would spread more easily. Communication would be difficult. If you think it's bad now then remove the technology and watch humans become even more base than they're now. By base I mean animal-like. Perhaps scientists have always been frowned on by humanists or luddites or religious radicals because deep inside those kinds of people want life to be harder than it's. Why? Maybe because they have a romanticism for a less complicated life that's more human-centered and less machine/computer-centered. The problem is that it's idealistic, not realistic.

We have to work to preserve human-values and beliefs, not to destroy computers/machines. Inevitably, what's considered human will change. That's what evolution is. At one time, humans didn't even exist. Do you think the lifeforms back then wanted to be replaced by humans? Of course not. If they had had a choice, they would never have allowed humans to dominate and replace them. But evolution happens slowly and a species can change without itself realizing it (in the short-term). I think we'll become hybrid biological/synthetic at some point. We have to branch out and become more redundant to protect ourselves. We need to be living in more types of envrionments. We can't stay as just one type of human. This is probably how it will start.

One of the things I've been telling myself lately is that... we can store the DNA of people to remember them. Think about it. Our DNA is like our name. People should be storing it. People in the future may be able to build a model of a human based merely on DNA and could look at their genetic ancestors face-to-face in a much more personal way than ever imagined. Perhaps this is a way of having a memory of things that no longer exist. It's almost like traveling back in time.
edit on 11-12-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
It happened yesterday, I was at the veterinarian clinic to get my dog's shots up to date. Keep in my mind that my financial situation is not the best in the world. While I was there waiting, this man and his daughter came inside with their dog that seemed very sick. They had the $125 for the basic physical exam to see what was wrong with the dog, however the receptionist told them that any treatment after that would be at extra cost. The man told the receptionist that he had no money to cover the extra expenses after that. He was told to fill out an application for something called "Care Credit", it's a credit card but it can only be used for medical expenses. He didn't qualify.

He was begging to the receptionist in front of his 12 year old daughter, their dog was in very bad shape. It's shocking how some veterinarians claim they "love animals" but they ignore animals that are in desperate need of help, time and time again. I know that they have expenses to pay, and a staff that expects a paycheck every week but how can they sleep at night knowing they let an animal die, just because it's owners didn't have money?

I was sitting there, and I was listening to the whole thing, and I told myself that I needed to do something to help them. For me, money is not as important as saving a life whether it's a human or an animal. So as they were leaving and getting into their car, I followed them and called the man over, I talked to him and told him that I would talk to the receptionist and ask her I could use my credit card to pay for their expenses, I was able to and I told the man that he could pay me monthly or whenever he could. I really don't care if he doesn't pay me, I couldn't care less about the money or if he pays me back. What's rewarding for me is knowing that I helped someone, when they thought they had no one to turn to, their dog will be okay and the little girl is happy, knowing her dog will be okay.

It's sad how money decides whether or not you'll have a place to sleep, if you'll eat or if you'll live or die. What happened to compassion? Why have we decided to put Money above everything else? Have we really sunk so low that having money decides whether or not someone will live or die?
edit on 11/15/2011 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

I feel for you and im happy you helped BUT don't kid yourself, it's always been this way, take a look around once in a while

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
What's up!

I love your post. I can see myself in what you say. I believe in reasonable sharing of my material gains. You Sir, have done an amazing job!

You are a perfect example of someone who is willing to make a sacrifice for a stranger, no matter the consequence. Compassion at it's finest. But that is not the most beautiful part. The most beautiful part is: that this will plant a rare and round seed, in the mind and souls of the hosts around you, who will sprout a feeling that will blossom into a flower of reality for yet more hosts to bewilder at, to find many bewildering a the tree of life! In other words, monkey see, monkey do. Let's get cracking boys and girls!

That's what has sprouted in my soul when I read your post. ACTION REACTION ACTION REACTION. Make it happen!

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join