It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Oakland's cost to city soars

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by malicacid922002

I'm sorry, but I think you've walked into a trap here. Oh, not one intentionally set by anyone, but you're stuck all the same.

The question you might get is "What will happen then?" Now you're down a path that has been discussed, at least on ATS, many times. What do you want, where is this going, what will you replace it with? I suspect you don't want to spend your time thinking of ultimate strategies.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Just fire some of the bureaucracy, they don't do anything anyway, except take money from public coffers

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
ok what's the big deal the majority voted for change and that's what is happening on a global scale that should say something!!!! Right?????

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Well, Beezzer!! I'm delighted to see you! Guys, Beezer is the real deal, I'd like to model myself after him, but I don't have the class. Here to provide some fireworks?

I know I'm off-topic, but sometime you gotta sing.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I'm not sure whether to take your post seriously. The world is always full of change, you don't vote for it, it just is. Are you thinking that because Obama was elected three years ago, Americans want OWS? Sorry, don't see it.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

already have its Ultimate Comprohensive Freedom. Don't be scared of the"bullies"!!!! This land is ours time plow it up and seed the nation with food and freedom. we could with collective thinking with a little compounding!!!!

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

I'm not sure whether to take your post seriously. The world is always full of change, you don't vote for it, it just is. Are you thinking that because Obama was elected three years ago, Americans want OWS? Sorry, don't see it.

Exactly 100% agree we voted for him to do this and yet we had to do it our selves, we should have seen it though want something done right you gotta.......

edit: I know that we don't know what we are doing including the consequences but we are at least trying!!!!
edit on 2-21-11 by malicacid922002 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I'm going to have to do a little thinking about this. You've probably got a quick mind and I can't keep up.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

You mad bro?

In that case we'll just tell everyone to go home.. because it's costs too much to keep their private mercenaries out on the streets.

Well actually I'll let you do that.

Since you're the one who wants everyone to go home and shut up.
I mean.. I don't want to be rude like that

Hmm you'll probably have to actually go to one of these places to tell them or this plan is going to fail before it starts. Word to the wise... don't take any fireworks.. the cops don't like those.

I really wish I could help you more.. but you know how these young punks are today... you try and reason with them... and they just keep on protesting.

Well I'll let you get back to your OWS odyssey... enjoy

Salut

Anyways... deep breaths

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Its funny they dont complain about the cost of wars..Maybe thats because they cant steal oil from the protesters or get paid to rebuild their tent city.
REVOLUTION IS COMING, MAKE WAY FOR CHANGE.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by WakeUpRiseUp

That sir is because it's rhetoric. If it makes ows look bad.. we must yell it from the rooftops.. if it makes tea party look bad.. well we sweep that under the big thick republican rug. It's cute.

Hmm.. wonder who's compiling these financial figures... could it be possible to.. inflate those figures.

Probably just paranoia on my part.

salut

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by beezzer

Well, Beezzer!! I'm delighted to see you! Guys, Beezer is the real deal, I'd like to model myself after him, but I don't have the class. Here to provide some fireworks?

I know I'm off-topic, but sometime you gotta sing.
People should never mistake the truth for fireworks.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept

Sweet, Occupy protesters are giving jobs to people, when they themselves can't get one! How thoughtful...

Well I agree with OWS in concept, though I agree some people do more harm than good. HOWEVER, are the cops necessary? If they were truly irritated, could they just leave the people alone? I mean, obviously their presence isn't doing much now but further riling them up.

I am self employed and support OWS because I am in favor of a revolution and I think OWS would be a good place to start it, as many others out there. Thanks for labeling me, you don't know us.

You're right, we don't know you. You won't bother to tell us who you are. At least give us some inkling of how you plan to get what you want. "We want lower tuition!" OK, tell us how you'd like to achieve that. "We want jobs!" OK, put forth a plan to create some.

Cohesion brings coherence. Both are absent.

So far OWS has complained that they don't have jobs, money, cars, homes, what have you. So now the citizens of Oakland, including the OWS geniuses, have less because of stunts like this. That's a real winner of a game plan.

/TOA

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
hmmm so peoples freedoms and rights to protest are judged invalid or valid depending on how much money it costs?

the only reason it costs so much is because of the reaction to people protesting, the reaction has been one where you would think protesting is a crime. so lots of money is spent by trying to evict them and sending along an army of policemen.

it's not the occupy movements fault that protests are seen as a crime in a free country and others feel a need to react in a way or demand that they are removed which will cost more, rather than have a few officers just keeping an eye on things untill it passes.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Originally posted by lifeform11

hmmm so peoples freedoms and rights to protest are judged invalid or valid depending on how much money it costs?
I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone has made that comparison. I certainly haven't.

the only reason it costs so much is because of the reaction to people protesting,
Well, that's not quite right. Some of the cost is damage to grounds and buildings that would have occurred if there were no police anywhere, but for the majority of the cost you're probably right.

the reaction has been one where you would think protesting is a crime.
Nobody is saying protesting is a crime.

so lots of money is spent by trying to evict them and sending along an army of policemen.
Ahh, now you're getting there. You only evict people who are in unlawful possession. Whether they're protesting or not, it doesn't matter. They're some place the law doesn't allow them to be and they are being taken away.

it's not the occupy movements fault that protests are seen as a crime in a free country
It's not seen as a crime.

and others feel a need to react in a way or demand that they are removed which will cost more, rather than have a few officers just keeping an eye on things untill it passes.
The Mayor and Chief of Police have to make a decision based on the limited information they have. How do they know how violent the protest will be? Do they have OO's solemn, cross my heart and hope to die promise that the police won't be needed?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

The Mayor and Chief of Police have to make a decision based on the limited information they have. How do they know how violent the protest will be? Do they have OO's solemn, cross my heart and hope to die promise that the police won't be needed?

well i have never known sending in lots of police with assorted weapons to ever calm a protest, it always makes it worse, damage is caused and costs get a lot higher. its not limited information, just look back on past protests.
which were also seen as a crime and warrented an army of police with many weapons and combat gear.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by malicacid922002

And your still worried about the money! Ha,its funny and sickening at the same time..
This is the whole point of OWS, let's close wall street down,N17!!!

Some people really need to grow up and take genuine responsibility for their actions. This Occupy thing is completely reckless and irresponsible, and costing the taxpayers in the cities. Thanks a lot Occupy.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

I'm sure there is also an unaccounted for cost associated as well, such as the loss of customers for local SMALL business, and a loss of general tourism in some places. These Occupy camps are attracting rats, and there is a health concern, cost to local clinics treating campers, etc. How about the convergence on soup kitchens in the areas? I guess some of the local pizza joints and Starbucks are making out fine though with donations coming in to order pizzas.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

So, you're satisfied with the way our taxes are used, wealth is distributed and government corruption is dealt with - many citizens are not. Many U.S. citizens feel that they will continue being peasants without much of a future if things "get back to where the were" ... they don't want that. They want things to change in a big way.

Maybe the short term loss is worth it - in order to achieve long term gains, something 'The Powers That Be' don't seem to agree with anymore. I don't support everything the Occupy movement does but do support their rights and sentiments.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

When did the Tea Party protest for nearly 1000 days? Did I miss something? A group merely existing does not count as a protest in my book.

<< 1    3 >>

join