It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 arrested with mortars after leaving Occupy Portland

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
SALEM - Three people who claimed to be with Occupy Portland protesters were arrested Sunday morning after police said they found explosives, drugs and gas masks in their car near Salem.

Marion County deputies said the car was speeding on Interstate 5 when it was pulled over around 8:40 a.m.

The driver was identified as 21-year-old William Maxwell Patterson, along with passengers 21-year-old Emery Nicholas Luff and 20-year-old Zachary Salzwedel-Kemp from Klamath Falls.

Police said the three told them they had spent the night at Occupy Portland and had brought commercial mortar fireworks in glass jars in preparation for a confrontation with police.

LINK

Wonder what they were going to do with these? Halloweens over.
edit on 13-11-2011 by lnfidel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
So now possession of fireworks is a crime if the police don't like you?

Innocent until proven guilty?

Not in a police state.
edit on 13-11-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by lnfidel

Wouldn't surprise me if they were planning on using the mortars against the police.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
And the propaganda war continues

2nd

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM

Not in a police state.

I think you may need a license to have commercial grade fireworks. Just trying to verify that point in sate law.

Now seal those mortars in a mason jar filled with gasoline and dish washing soap, could be fatal.

link   
reply to post by lnfidel

Glad they were arrested. Bunch of idiots. Of course this was all just a set up by police to demonize OWS. Hurr durr it was only fireworks.

link   

Originally posted by CREAM

Not in a police state.

Oregon law bans possession, use or sale of fireworks that fly, explode or travel more than six feet on the ground or 12 inches into the air. Fireworks commonly called bottle rockets, Roman Candles, and firecrackers are ILLEGAL in Oregon.

Source.

No comment on the poster. Think he speaks for himself.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Mortars are military grade artillery weapons.

Please specify if they were caught with this mortar wiki or if it was some joke firework. Huge difference.

Mortars (weapon) + gas masks = War time.

But fireworks + gas masks? That = Kids playing around.

Two totally different stories. That's why the word "mortar" should be applied to military weapons and "fireworks" applied to fireworks.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Fireworks in a glass jar=shrapnel bomb.

Fireworks from mortar= explosive projectile that has injured officers in the past at Occupy Portland.

www.kgw.com...

Police said the three told them they had spent the night at Occupy Portland and had brought commercial mortar fireworks in glass jars in preparation for a confrontation with police. Deputies also found marijuana, two gas masks, protective eye goggles, and a safety helmet. The men denied being involved in throwing the fireworks at an officer who was hurt Saturday night.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I think 'mortar" type fireworks are fired like a mortar round out of a fixture into the sky.

Fireworks are generally classified as to where they perform, either as a ground or aerial firework. In the latter case they may provide their own propulsion (skyrocket) or be shot into the air by a mortar (aerial shell). The most common feature of fireworks is a paper or pasteboard tube or casing filled with the combustible material, often pyrotechnic stars. A number of these tubes or cases are often combined so as to make, when kindled, a great variety of sparkling shapes, often variously colored. The skyrocket is a common form of firework, although the first skyrockets were used in war. Such rocket technology has also been used for the delivery of mail by rocket and is used as propulsion for most model rockets. The aerial shell is the backbone of today's commercial aerial display. A smaller version for consumer use is known as the festival ball in the United States. Ground fireworks, although less popular than aerial ones, create a stunning exhibition. These types of fireworks can produce various shapes, ranging from simple rotating circles, stars and 3D globes

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

A mortar is a tubular piece of equipment that directs the explosive force of an explosive or firework in a specified direction.

If this were going to be used against the cops then it is, in fact, a weapon.
edit on 13-11-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I know. I was joking about the police setting up protesters and if you didn't get the hurr durr thing it's my retard sound.
edit on 13-11-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I know. I was joking about the police setting up protesters and if you didn't get the hurr durr thing it's my retard sound.
edit on 13-11-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

Is that what that was.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
In many states 'Mortar" type fireworks are restricted and require special permits.

Without those permits they are destructive devices under state and federal laws.

Even modifying fireworks(putting them in glass jars) can change legal fireworks to destructive devices.

There is nothing illegal about gasoline. glass bottles. or rags. but put them together and its a destructive device called a molotov cocktail

These guys are busted big time. Hope they get a good lawyer.

edit on 14-11-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

2nd

Is it propaganda if it is true?

Is OWS not using its own propaganda? What makes it right for one and not the other?

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
An explosive contained in a glass jar would create large amounts of deadly shrapnel, If it where being used against the forces over seas(or any where for tht matter) it would be called an: IMPROVISED EXPLOSIVE DEVICE, or more commonly known as an IED.

There is only one reason you would put a low explosive in a glass jar, I don't think you need many guesses to figure out why.

After calling it by its real name (IED) any more pro OWS'ers want to stick up for these clowns?
edit on 13-11-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-11-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

2nd

I bet these were the three guys:

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 11/13/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: reference

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

Portland is surrounded by huge evergreen trees and forests, in most states fireworks are prohibited after the 4th.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

And the deadly shrapnel, glass would be so so dangerous to everyone there not just the Police.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

When asked about the explosives, the three men told authorities that they knew the canning jar would explode, causing glass shrapnel to fly and possibly cause injury.

www.oregonlive.com...

<<   2 >>

join