It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only social issue I can think of

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Why isn't there legal assisted suicide going on in states in the U.S? Is it because of the U.S. societies' majority being overlly moral into other's lives? I think that is a problem if that is the case. I dont like it when other people's morals get in my way. How about you?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

I'm not in a position to pass judgement or even serious comment on why most US states do not allow physician-assisted suicide. I'd just like to note that there are at least two states that I know of where this is legal: Washington (state) and Oregon.

From what I can glean from this report in Amed news, Oregon state has allowed this since at least the late 1990s and after a public ballot in 2008 (with 58% saying yes), the Washington State law came into effect in March 2009.

Hopefully some US members will have more to add, or will correct the above-cited information if it is no longer current.

EDIT: It's also apparently legal in Montana. From the wiki:

Assisted suicide was made legal in Montana through a trial court ruling on December 6, 2009 in the case of Baxter v. Montana. The Attorney General of the state of Montana sought an appeal from the Montana Supreme Court, but the court, by a decision of five to two, affirmed the lower court's ruling on the state law. The Court did, however, limit the scope of the decision by not determining if the state's constitution protected the right.

Source: Wiki article on Assisted Suicide in the United States

Best regards,

Mike

edit on 12/11/11 by JustMike because: Iaddedanedit.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Anyone that tries to tell you that your own body is not yours to do with as you please is a fool, an idiot and a bigot.

edit on 12/11/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Other people's morals aren't getting in your way. You can do what you want with your own body. Anyone can suicide anywhere, anytime.

The problems come up when you get some one else involved in it. That's the area you should be exploring.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Other people's morals aren't getting in your way. You can do what you want with your own body. Anyone can suicide anywhere, anytime.

The problems come up when you get some one else involved in it. That's the area you should be exploring.

What problem? Some people can't even do it themselves. They need assistance. Besides, you'd want to make sure it is done properly if you desired out life on earth. This is why you can't do what you want with your body in all cases. People slip up and end up in an even worse state for failed attempt on their life.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

I apologise for my unhelpful reply earlier. To be honest I don't know what came over me but after reading your post, I came up with that one liner, out of nowhere, all spontaneous-like.
Anyway, now I see what you mean. I think its euthanasia laws and yes, TPTB don't like that in some countries. I think some people from this part of the world (western europe) end up going to Switzerland, or another country where it is allowed with a Doctor's supporting advice. I'm in Holland and euthanasia is allowed in extreme cases unlike my native England. A humanitarian thing I guess? Its not like a healthy person can sign-up for it, ya gotta be dying or have such a terrible quality of life that keeping you alive is a very questionable thing. I'm rambling but I think you get the idea. I do believe it should be an option while people are still able to make that decision known.

edit on 12/11/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Control issues. The state likes to control these things. Because ironically your life is apparently not your own.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Problems? Well, defining key concepts such as "terminal illness," "voluntary action," "consent."

Also there may very well be pressures on the ill to relieve the "burden" on society, the health care system, or their family. which confuses the issues of consent and voluntary action.

What does this do to the doctor-patient relationship? Can I trust him to be doing everything for me?

When will the right to die become a duty to die. When the government decides that further treatment is not cost-efficient?

Can a doctor who is not a psychologist know if the patient is consenting or just in momentary despair?

A 1997 study conducted by the American Medical Association (AMA) found that more than half of Americans believe physician-assisted suicide should be legal. However, when people are told about alternatives to the technological treatments so many of us fear, and about the availability of pain control and hospice care, their support for physician-assisted suicide goes down to under one-fifth. This study seems to show that when people are informed about all of their end-of-life choices, they are less likely to opt for suicide.

There are a lot of problems, more than I've mentioned.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Well the way I feel about it...

I think happy or in any dispair doesn't matter. If a person wants out by assistance, then they should be just fine in going about getting that accomplished without the assistant's look into why they want out. It should be none of the assistant's business as to why someone wants out of life on earth.

edit on 13-11-2011 by WarJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
It's either government assisted healthcare or legalizing euthanasia. The existence of both gives incentive to the latter to save money of the former.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Dear WarJohn,

Perhaps you've known someone with severe depression. They can be absolutely ready to kill themselves, then they get help, and in a short time realize that they were about to make a big mistake. In essence, they were so depressed that they weren't in their right mind, a sort of temporary insanity. People in that shape need help with making unalterable decisions.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
When it comes to things like this no one should ever have a right to interfere. The second they do should be considered a crime imho since there is nothing in this life that is truly yours more so than your life. If you don't agree with it that's your own issue which should be your right. Telling someone else they cant do things like this because you wouldn't do it is just plain wrong.

It amazes me that some people cant seem to understand how pushing their moral beliefs on others infringes on that persons right to live their life and use their body etc as they see fit. You know they would have a fit if the shoe was on the other foot. People need to stay out of other peoples affairs which has to include the Government when it comes to issues this personal. Its no ones business but your own and those who cant respect that need to seriously sit down and look into themselves.

Sadly it seems no one can ever truly live in freedom from other peoples BS

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Candycab

I think there may be a misunderstanding here. I know that I have not used any moral or religious arguments at all. I also have not said that assisted suicide is wrong because I personally wouldn't do it.

Please check my post a little earlier in this thread. Those are some of my objections.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by Candycab

I think there may be a misunderstanding here. I know that I have not used any moral or religious arguments at all. I also have not said that assisted suicide is wrong because I personally wouldn't do it.

Please check my post a little earlier in this thread. Those are some of my objections.

Wasn't meant to be directed at you, sorry if you took it that way as it was never my intention.

Just speaking of people in general who act in that manner.

join