It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

#OccupyOakland Protests Wells Fargo, then Opens an Account

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

hahaha... dumbest thing ever.. I would love to hear the explanation on how a Wellsfargo account is easier to open than a CU account. Because most Credit Unions open accounts online within 5 mins.

Sounds like the lawyer is playing "games" with the groups money, and the idiots were stupid enough to allow him to put it at WF. BUT .. I give them a break. Because they are OWS and I expect no less than hypocrisy, and they are Californians, which is an automatic handicap.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
You're right, the "Fat Cats" in the Occupy movement can spend their money anyway they see fit. Jail Bail is always a good investment.

I think I'll double my contribution to my local food bank and City Mission this Holiday season. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Why are putting "fat cats" in quotes? No one besides you is calling them that. Why is this so personal for you? Pointing out how that money could have been used to feed the hungry.. it's forcing a false illogical connection.. It's basically your own subtle propaganda.

There can't be much of a protest if people can't bail themselves out of jail. I think it is silly that they are putting this money in wells fargo, even for a short time.. and it hurts occupy OAKLAND's image, (not all of OWS) but this isn't going to do much damage.. it won't be there that long, it's not an investment.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

They got caught with their hand [Temporarily or not] in the Corporate cookie jar.

I wonder if they will riot when they face early withdrawal penalties

edit on 9-11-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
For a movement so highly critical of the Financial Systems,why would they even for a moment, stoop to USE a BANK?

You would also think between a couple hundred people,there would be SOMEONE within this group that had a house,or safe,somewhere they could put this money at. I dont get it one bit,except They had to vote on placing their money in a Bank !! Priceless Irony in its finest moment.

edit on 9-11-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
As a supporter of OWS and local movements, it becomes even tougher to defend the movement when they make dumb moves like this. It is hypocritical and does not serve the overall message they should be working to convey.

They need to ge their act together!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Why are putting "fat cats" in quotes? No one besides you is calling them that. Why is this so personal for you? Pointing out how that money could have been used to feed the hungry.. it's forcing a false illogical connection.. It's basically your own subtle propaganda.

Sorry, I thought all greedy people with money were called "Fat Cats" Honestly, I'm just amused by this need for money that the Occupy movement has. Especially, when folks from within the camps have said that they want to do away with it.

Furthermore, I was just sending a little love to the poor and indigent who are part of the 99% right? Aren't these the people that the protesters are protesting about? The same people who have been kicked out of various camps because they were coming in for the free food. Remember that??

Lastly, if you can't pay the bail don't get arrested and don't expect donations to bail you out.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Way to paint an entire state with the same brush

Just out of curiosity.. which other states do you find to be a handicap to their residents?

Or is it just Cali?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Being nice.....

NM

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Sorry, I thought all greedy people with money were called "Fat Cats" Honestly, I'm just amused by this need for money that the Occupy movement has. Especially, when folks from within the camps have said that they want to do away with it.

Furthermore, I was just sending a little love to the poor and indigent who are part of the 99% right? Aren't these the people that the protesters are protesting about? The same people who have been kicked out of various camps because they were coming in for the free food. Remember that??

Lastly, if you can't pay the bail don't get arrested and don't expect donations to bail you out.

You're amused by OWS need for money? How does a protest function without monetary support?

There is a handful of people within the camps who said they want to do away with money... so this means everyone in OWS is an extremist anarchist.. or that the movement is anarchist as a whole?... even though you complain about them using money.

Let me get this straight, according to you OWS is an anarchist group that wants to do away with money.. except they use money donations that people gave them to support the protest.. and you think they should spend their donated money on feeding the poor and not the protest?

This is what happens when you make mass generalizations from isolated cases about the entire movement.

It's also an excellent technique used by the MSM smear campaigns on things they don't want the public to support.
edit on 11/9/2011 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Are you making assumptions about me? I don't recall mentioning anarchists in this thread.

I guess that's always a last resort..twist words and insert your own meaning. Thanks for clearing up my own thoughts for me.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden

You're amused by OWS need for money? How does a protest function without monetary support?

There is a handful of people within the camps who said they want to do away with money... so this means everyone in OWS is an extremist anarchist.. or that the movement is anarchist as a whole?... even though you complain about them using money.

Let me get this straight, according to you OWS is an anarchist group that wants to do away with money.. except they use money donations that people gave them to support the protest.. and you think they should spend their donated money on feeding the poor and not the protest?

This is what happens when you make mass generalizations from isolated cases about the entire movement.

It's also an excellent technique used by the MSM smear campaigns on things they don't want the public to support.

again star and flag for common sence
i agree with this post

xploder

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

yeah, we all have are hopes but reality usually wins, doesn't it?
gosh, as a "student" in high school, we had such experiences ... we mocked the inner-workings of a mega-corp (called it Lester Hill) for a whole year ... it was an interesting experience to say the least.

Too bad schools don't really teach anymore. [but that was during the days of the corporate raiders too ... maybe we were being groomed then ??]

i've said it before and i'll say it again, those in OWS looking for student loan reimbursement should be screaming for a REFUND cause they really got ripped.

@ jibeho -- thanks, i'll have to look that thread over ... doesn't ring a bell at the moment.
computer crashed again so maybe i missed it all together. not surprising though ... money brings out the worst in most ... always has, always will.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

but this isn't going to do much damage.. it won't be there that long, it's not an investment.

oh but it is and that's the most important point most choose to gloss over.
that 20g provides leverage (sometimes at a ratio of 30:1) for Wells Fargo for as long as it remains on deposit there.
so, using that ratio ... they just granted WF $600,000 worth of leverage power ... just handed it to them, even.

while it's true i don't know the motivations of the lawyer or the OWS for that matter concerning this decision, i will say this, it IS one of the worst decisions they've made so far.

also, for those who may not know or understand ... in most member-owned credit unions, the deposit earns interest, daily. and for the 2wk paper shuffle (to claim non-profit status), they would have to report "interest income" and we certainly wouldn't want that, now would we ??

noooo, don't absorb a few hundred in earnings that they could easily write-off laters, instead, give WF maximum manipulating power with their "temporary deposit" ... not too smart if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I would have preferred to see an account opened with a community bank or credit union using whatever documentation was used to open the account at Wells Fargo. And then, after the legal paperwork was done, opening the final account with the same institution. Is it really much more difficult to open an account at Community Bank of the Bay than it is in Wells?

I'm also disappointed that questions about this move have been met with dismissal. I am someone who agrees with most of the OWS movement, but it seems like there is a bit of "if you're not with us, you're against us" mentality emerging. And that bothers me. I'd like to be able to have rational discussions about what's going on without hearing "nothing to see here...move along...this is just the MSM trying to fool you."

If division is going to be the tactic, I'd rather just sit on the sidelines and watch the whole thing burn up.
edit on 9-11-2011 by Momus because: typo

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Or credit union. The lawyer apparently thought the "paperwork" (wtf that is supposed to mean, I don't know) at the Credit Unions was to difficult. So they opted for the Wells Fargo. Just for the time being, you know, till they finish the "paperwork" .. then they will have to wait 3 days for the withdraw period before they can re-deposit in the CU ..

I looked at some CU websites for Oakland and all of them you can open them online sooo ... either that lawyer fails to an extreme or something else..

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

Mostly it's just Cali. However Oregon gets a half point handicap for stupidity because of the number of Californians that now live here. Washington also gets a half point handicap for stupidity for their native Californian population and urban Seattle population.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Totally pricesless!

Banks are evil no wait we need to put that thing we hate(money) in a bank and to right move your money to a credit union no wait we are going to put into a Corporate "Fatcat" bank.

Hmmm the were agianst banks before the were for them talk about wishy washy.

Meh

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Why doesn't the group simply do as they have been doing this whole time?

Deny they were involved OR that it was the actions of a few bad apples or outside agitators?

Because people like you; and the mainstream media, will find a way to paint it red
anyways...

Demand that they were all involved OR that it was the actions of a few bad apples or outside agitators
indicates the true intent of the group.

Hail for you!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Resinveins

Mostly it's just Cali. However Oregon gets a half point handicap for stupidity because of the number of Californians that now live here. Washington also gets a half point handicap for stupidity for their native Californian population and urban Seattle population.

I guess California having a economic output that rivals that of the rest of the time zone makes them really
stupid.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Drezden

Are you making assumptions about me? I don't recall mentioning anarchists in this thread.

I guess that's always a last resort..twist words and insert your own meaning. Thanks for clearing up my own thoughts for me.

What do you call people who want to end the use of money? Excellent deflection though!

Before you can deflect again onto something else.. will you go back and address my comment? Or at least specify what you meant by being amused that OWS needs money. How should a protest function without money in your opinion?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join