It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Shooting Of Nonthreatening Dog

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

EDIT: This story is true, but it happened longer ago than the article describes:

www.washingtonpost.com...

It described this officer backing a frightened family pet named Parrot into a corner, pouncing on the hapless creature and applying the full weight of his body to the animal's back before it was corralled to a concrete pen where another officer executed the creature at point blank range with his service revolver.

If this was just a spooked family dog, then there should be an investigation about this. Look at the dog, it's not dangerous, and it was probably terrified. There has to be a point where things go to far.. and I think we're getting there very quickly....

(Source)

edit on 2-11-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Really disgusting and there is just no reason for it. No excuse. Here is a thread on Police who killed some cows in Canada for sport. www.abovetopsecret.com... With such blatant disregard for living things and the weapon it is a dangerous combination. They also shoot people. When will enough be enough?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
This seems to happen way more often than it should.

The number one reason to never let a cop onto your property or into your house.

There was one earlier this year where the homeowner asked to lock the dog in the bathroom to prevent just this thing from happening. The cops agreed. Then the cops opened the bathroom door and shot the dog.

There was a thread about up here if I'm not mistaken.

It's like there's a standing order to just shoot dogs.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
if a cop or anyone else for that matter shot one of my pets and killed them they would get it back in return on the spot.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Simply look at the cop's expression, hate, not fear, not concern - hate, power.

This is quite frankly why I would trust most dogs any day compared to a fellow human.

Sorry folks, in my 58 years I've been screwed up and down and sideways by many humans - and only once by a dog that I managed to scare into submission (without hurting).

If this cop had been like this on my dog - he would be dead and I mean that literally.

The dog if you look closely is not threatening, he's laying submissively.

The cops face says it all.

Now that being said, not all police officers are bad, most I've encountered are really nice, good decent humans but we're getting more and more reports that power hungry mindless goons are over stepping their bounds and that must stop.

The number of "bad" police officers is rising............police raiding a incorrect home and killing the family dog (oooops sorry wrong house)..............I've heard numerous stories like this and now with OWS.

For one, we went to OWS in Chicago and did not bring our dog...........just like we would not bring our grand daughter (she wanted to go with a sign).

Stuff like OWS, is a public protest and mob mentality can turn on a dime and the "authorities" likewise can turn on a dime.

Bottom line, this is a sad, sad, sad event - but folks, if you love your dogs, your kids - leave them at home safely behind locked doors, with a trusted sitter and protest yourself.

Our children and pets are innocent and must be protected.

There was a thread here on ATS with picture of a police officer spaying pepper spray on a small little girl (around 9) a week or two back............so leave your kids and beloved dogs SAFE AT HOME.

You bring your child(ren) or pets to a protest and there is no guarantee the police will act in a responsible manner if they feel threatened.

The cop in my own opinion, looks like a savage brute..

Compare his facial expression to a nazi soldier.................strange very similar.

That being said, our OWS experience was one of brotherhood and solidarity.

As this movement takes hold, keep in mind TPTB if we all seem to become united they will try to divide and conquer us yet again.

They will infiltrate with trouble makers to give the movement a bad name as well as all movements have their emotionally uncontrolled people.

So in closing, make damn sure to leave your kids and dogs safely at home out of harm's way.
edit on 2-11-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I have read a lot about this lately,
what's going on? I see no reason
why cops feel the need to shoot
down a non threatening dog. I
think they just get bored with getting
real criminals and what to shoot
their guns. So someones family
member dies! My pets are my
family as I am sure others feel the
same - bet not once did they think
of that. Am I angry, yes!

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I wonder if these storys are true. You so see many of them. Swat killing dogs, cops killing dogs. The other day I saw a video on youtube of a cop killing a dog in the street. It seems like they are trying to use a scare tactic against the public. They want you to fear the police. Be paranoid when you are around them.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Star for your post

When will enough be enough?

When enough of us band together and demand a difference.............as long as everyone looks the other way and down at their shoes and acts like "Oh well, thank God that's not me and mine" this kind of frap will not only continue but escalate.

edit on 2-11-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Whatever happened to the city dog catcher's, couldn't they have been called.??? Lost for words..

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
We used to live near a strip bar and purse snatchers would use our backyard as an escape route. We owned a big dog and the cops would yell "We will shoot your dog!" as they knocked on our door to see if we saw anything. This happened more than once, but we moved out and enjoy our quiet trailer park trash life. Peace, Xenongod
edit on 11-4-2012 by xenongod because: my grammar sucks too sometimes..dunno

edit on 11-4-2012 by xenongod because: ! drama

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Now I love dogs, and I have one myself, but why not search for a credible source for this info rather then the aggrieved parties personal blog? It seems that many dog owners think that because they believe that their dog will not bite, that others automatically know this as well.

Just last night I was charged by an unattended dog that was roaming my neighborhood, and if I had not been able to get away from it, I am afraid it would have attacked me. A dog running at you at full charge, barking, may be seem as playing to the owner, but many dog owners have shown over the years that they lack a certain amount of common sense when it comes to understanding how others perceive the actions of their dogs.

Others yet, get some type of perverse joy in having an aggressive dog, and enjoy watching them confront strangers, scare others dogs, and even fight with them. That is why pit-bulls are so popular among certain groups, because they are intimidating. Then the owners will actually exercise them to make them even more intimidating.

Now for some facts from the news:

Cop shoots, kills dog during Adams Morgan festival
UPDATE 7:47 p.m. Sept. 13: The Washington Post has obtained the police report on the incident. It describes the dog as appearing "to be out of control" and says the dog "charged" at the officer before it was fatally shot.

An officer with the D.C. police department shot and killed a dog — possibly a rottweiler or pit bull — outside The Brass Knob antique store at 2311 18th St. NW. The shooting followed an intense, two-minute scuffle between the dog and what witnesses describe as a "smaller" white dog.

In dispute of the what the dog's handler has said, police tonight released a statement saying the dog was out of control and also bit the handler. Here's the entire e-mail from Third District Capt. Aubrey P. Mongal:

Earlier this afternoon, during the Adams Morgan Day events, an MPD officer encountered a dog in the crowded pedestrian area that got out of the control of it’s handler. The dog attacked another dog and also bit it handler. The officer, after making several attempts to subdue the dog by training tactics, had to finally shoot one time to stop the dog.

And what do we have here?
A pit-bull that the owner was allowing to fight with another person's dog.
You buy an intimidating animal, you train it to be intimidating, you encourage that behavior, and you don’t control it in public, expect the exact same thing to happen to you.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 4/11/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

Simply look at the cop's expression, hate, not fear, not concern - hate, power.

try exertion.
You try and pin that large of a dog to the ground like that, and see if your not making a grimace from the effort as well.

I own a big dog, 85 lbs, Black lab with some pit apparently in her. Not that I wanted a pit, but I was given the dog because someone else couldn't control it even as a puppy. She's a pistol to control, and it takes ever ounce of my effort, being a 6'4” 220lb man, to control her when she wants to get rambunctious. For the first year, I walked around with scratches on both arms every day from her wanting to “play".
edit on 4/11/2012 by defcon5 because: lol too many 2's

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

2'4” 220lb man

Dude. You need to work out. 2'4" 220lbs is an ideal bowling ball though. I'll treat you nice, shine you up after use, give you a great little spot in the closet.

That dog can't weigh more than 60 lbs. Hard to manage? Not when it's pinned like that. I'm usually pro cop but I think that some boys on the force get a little itchy trigger finger and figure a dog is not something they can get in trouble for shooting. I get real mad about dogs getting shot.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Drat, I was hoping I corrected that little typo before it was caught...

Tell you what, sometimes I wish I was that tall, it would save me a lot of headaches from low doorways, and ceiling fans.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
That dog can't weigh more than 60 lbs. Hard to manage? Not when it's pinned like that. I'm usually pro cop but I think that some boys on the force get a little itchy trigger finger and figure a dog is not something they can get in trouble for shooting. I get real mad about dogs getting shot.

yeah but its a pit or rottweiler. So that's 60lbs of solid muscle. Believe me, that's a lot more dog then most people can handle. Its all a moot point anyway, most states have a one bite rule. If your dog bites one person, and its reported, not only can you be sued for it, but they can have your dog destroyed anyway. Its an unfortunate scenario, and I hate to see an animal be destroyed, but it would have gone that way anyway.

The moral here is to keep your dog under control, or keep it away from the public.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I've worked with Animal Control and the ASPCA...........The dog was shot as it laid down, wagging his/her tail. Yes a dog that size is a handful but with somebody that knows what they are doing it could have been handled differently and not involved a dog being shot point blank, execution style in the head.

Where was Animal Control, or a back up truck with a cage?

No, no, no, no, that cop was bad to the bone, may he rot in the deepest pit of hell.

I'm a little over 5'3" and 130 pounds and could (have) controlled a dog that size.

Towards the end, the dog laid down then the cop shot him.

Imagine the worse word for a jerk and that is the word I want to use for that cop.

Couldn't outsmart that dog, had to resort to shooting him in the head.

Hope your dog gets loose and meets up with that cop, then see how you feel.

Or maybe you are like my dog that came from a puppy mill and had a owner with no heart, no kindness.

I don't do the mad flame face often but for your remark

edit on 11-4-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

The number of "bad" police officers is rising............police raiding a incorrect home and killing the family dog (oooops sorry wrong house)..............I've heard numerous stories like this and now with OWS.

Is it that there are more bad police or that there are just more haters and (more importantly) more concise, encompassing media by which the haters can push these frequently misrepresented stories against the police they hate? Just a mere 20 years ago, we had either print media or word of mouth by which agenda driven individuals could portray the police as "pigs" and abusers of power. Printed media didn't work because you or the editor who printed the caustic article prior to vetting it would be fired if the article was blown out of proportion. Word of mouth didn't really work, either, because it didn't take a rocket scientist to realize it was always the same core group of druggies, bangers, or otherwise ill-contents who always seemed to take issue with everything the police did. Now, through the miracle of anonymous hit & runs via the internet, the same people have infinite carte blanche to overdramatize any police related "news" story they wish to.

There aren't more bad police officers... if anything, there are actually more good police officers with about the same number of bad apples there have always been, representative of society as a whole. There are, however, a lot more folks who drank the Kool Aid in the 60's and 70's and then raised their kids to fear and distrust the police as a whole. The prevelant fear of the police isn't a creation of the police themselves, it is a creation of fearmongering by people who have legitimately run afoul of the law and rationalize their issues by blaming all of their problems on those tasked with defending that same law.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I really don't blame the cops for their actions as they have to take other people who might be nearby or watching saftey into account. They wouldn't know the dog like the owner so they have to expect the worst.
If a bystander got hurt by the dog while the cops were there how much trouble would they have then?
I have a large dog (German/Rott cross). When my dog gets aggressive it takes a lot of physical effort to control him & thats on a lead/leash. He already broke a thick leather collar he used to have. Needless to say I have replaced it with a heavy duty nylon type.
If that officer tried to take out my dog physically it wouldn't have been easy & yes my dog would have behaved violently.
Maybe they didn't have time to call animal services due to the circumstances of the incident. Most of us don't like to see animal cruelty but the cops have a job to do & the saftey of people (& other cops) has to be their primary concern.
Give them a break please..............

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This is an old thread, but since I had a loyal pitbull for 15 years, and I also work alongside law enforcement I will comment anyway.

My pit was 85 lbs, fast, strong, and he hated other animals. He was intimidating looking, even without cutting his ears. He was a wonderful companion, well-loved by all, and I am still getting calls from people that hardly knew him to comment on his death almost 2 years after the fact. He was embracing and loveable to all.

BUT....

I knew from the beginning that he had the potential to do a lot of harm if he wasn't controlled. I raised him from 3 weeks of age, and I made sure he would never think to be aggressive toward a human being. He didn't need to be, because he was so intimidating anyway. I also knew from the beginning that if he was ever caught off his leash or outside of his fence, he would probably be killed. I used to compare it to Godzilla getting loose in our neighborhood. No matter how good Godzilla's intentions might be, someone is going to be frightened and kill him. I wouldn't have blamed them, it would have been my own fault. It is my responsibility as his owner to keep him out of harm's way.

So, for the OP of this story, if the dog was a pitbull, off its leash, it doesn't matter if it was frightened or aggressive, it is the owner's fault the dog is dead.

I love pitbulls, and I never want to see the breed go away, and I lobby for people to own this breed, it is a smart, loyal breed that aims to please its owner. It is tough, patient, and perfect for families with children because it won't bite out of fear or pain like a smaller breed might. BUT, if you own a pitbull, it comes with responsibilities, and whatever that dog does, or whatever is done to that dog falls squarely on the owner's shoulders.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I've worked with Animal Control and the ASPCA...........The dog was shot as it laid down, wagging his/her tail.

And how do you know this? Where you there when it happened or are you just going off one of a series of photos that was picked because it has the most emotional value to the news agency?

You do, of course, realize that news agencies do that to provoke your emotions as it sells the news, right?

Maybe the reason that the officer has that grimace look on his face is because he is trying to protect his face from a thrashing dog.
Here is the statement from one witness and another officer on the scene:

A former metropolitan police officer witnessed the shooting. “We were no more than 20 feet away when two dogs got into it," said Tony De Passe. "The officers ran over to try to restrain one of the dogs. By now one dog came loose and bit a man. He fell to the ground. The officer then put his hand on the dog’s throat and tried to restrain the dog. The dog spun around and bit the officer on his hand."

Noah Siegel said he knows one of the men bitten by the dog. "I heard some dogs barking and some people screaming," Siegel said. "I love dogs but you can’t have dogs attacking people out in a crowd like this."

So here we have a bystander saying the dog was out of control in a crowd, and you have a statement that the officer was bitten. That is an attack on a police officer, even if from a dog, and even biting a civilian justifies putting an animal down in most states under most circumstances.

Yes a dog that size is a handful but with somebody that knows what they are doing it could have been handled differently and not involved a dog being shot point blank, execution style in the head.

That's not the officers job, his job in that case is to protect himself and others.
Police are not carrying the proper equipment to subdue animals.

Where was Animal Control, or a back up truck with a cage?

At best, most likely 10 or 15 minutes away, in most cases more like 45+. So should they have just let the dog run around attacking random things during that period?

No, no, no, no, that cop was bad to the bone, may he rot in the deepest pit of hell.

great, lets call for a cop to go to hell after actually protecting the public for a change.
Would you feel the same way if your children had been in reach of that dog? It was a fair after all, and there were children all around the area.

Towards the end, the dog laid down then the cop shot him.

That's not what happened, the cop has that dog pinned by the scruff in that photo, and THEN he was bitten. Read the above quote, that photo is before the dog bit him.

Hope your dog gets loose and meets up with that cop, then see how you feel.

I certainly hope that never happens, but I take responsibility for my pets, and I do everything within my power to keep them out of harms way. If I know that my dog has a problem, then I don't put it in situations where that can occur.

Or maybe you are like my dog that came from a puppy mill and had a owner with no heart, no kindness.

I love my dogs very much, and they are treated better then most humans. Hell, its always a joke that mine gets better medical care then most people, but current one requires it.

When I got my dog it was very ill, and the people who gave it to me had no idea how sick it was. It had already bitten people, and they didn't know why. They offered it to me as a last resort, and if I hadn't taken it in, it was heading for animal services. They would have destroyed the dog because of its bad temperament, and it would have never been given a chance, so even though I was leery of it (especially having pit in it), I took it in.

It ended up that the dog had been in chronic pain probably for the majority of the first six months of its life. The first thing I did was take it to a vet, and the problem was immediately caught and taken car of. Unfortunately though, because of this, the dog was very afraid around people for most of the next year, and would bite at unfamiliar people without warning. Even going so far as to go after a friends neck and face once. Again, unprovoked and without warning, one minute lying on the ground between us and the next jumping into their face.

Now she's a very smart dog, and after a years worth of work and thousands of dollars, this is finally subsiding and she's starting to act more like the dogs I am accustomed to owning. Now the biggest problem is MY fear that she will still attack someone, and she picks up on this subconscious signal from me. As I cannot control that 100%, I always make sure that when I have her out somewhere she is isolated as possible, people are warned from approaching her, and I used a full leash/collar with loops at both ends so I can get her from the collar end in an emergency. I also tuck a muzzle in my pocket just in case as well.

Its the owners job to know their dog, to control it, to train it, to know its quirks and limitations, and to keep boundaries around that animal to prevent any issue. Especially when you own a potentially hazardous or extremely powerful animal.

Its certainly not the cops fault for the owners lack of doing the above.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 4/11/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join