It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official refuses Tennessee governor’s orders to break up ‘Occupy Nashville’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Just one week after New York Governor Andrew Cuomo (D) saw his order to push an “Occupy” protest out of a public park at night rebuked by a local official, Tennessee’s governor is experiencing a similar problem.

Gov. Bill Haslam (R) has twice given the order to crackdown on protesters at “Occupy Nashville,” only to see it denied by judicial commissioner Tom Nelson. In Tennessee, a judicial commissioner has the authority to determine whether crimes have been committed.

Well now, the judicial are getting involved with this. Twice The Commissionaire has refused to uphold the charges. Could this set a pretext or others in the judicial system, following suit?

Raw Story

I did not post his, until, there was evidence, this actually happened.

edit on 31-10-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
"give them adequate time to comply with the rules" ummm they're squatters how much time do they need to pick up a tent and walk away?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

How about "let them exercise their God given right to free speech"? Wait, many in America no longer believe in God so they have to believe that "rights" are granted by the government. This is the reason that we are losing our rights and they have denigrated to the status of "privileges". Privileges can be revoked, by the bestower and often are. Rights, bestowed by God can only be revoked by God.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
And there is more, A Federal Judge has issued a restraining order, so much for them being squatters now isn't there

A federal judge granted a temporary restraining order today requiring the state to stop enforcing a hastily drawn up policy that set a curfew for gatherings at Legislative Plaza and resulted in about 50 arrests of Occupy Nashville protesters.

Local attorneys and the American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee filed a lawsuit this morning against Gov. Bill Haslam and other state officials and requested a temporary restraining order to prevent any further arrests. U.S. District Judge Aleta A. Trauger granted the request. The state did not object to the restraining order and agreed to work out its differences with protesters.

The Teneesan

Is this the beginning off a fightback? One small victory.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
reply to post by Fitch303

How about "let them exercise their God given right to free speech"? Wait, many in America no longer believe in God so they have to believe that "rights" are granted by the government. This is the reason that we are losing our rights and they have denigrated to the status of "privileges". Privileges can be revoked, by the bestower and often are. Rights, bestowed by God can only be revoked by God.

only someone that is ignorant would make the statement that those that have no belief in your god believe that the government gives them their freedoms.
Freedoms such as freedom of speech and religion and assembly. are just that freedoms. The constitution does not grant ANY rights. The constitution is a statement of limitations on the government, what it is not allowed to do. The constitution reserves those rights for us by stating that the government may NEVER infringe on those freedoms/rights without just cause.
Our founding fathers knew the government would eventually attempt to take away rights that they believed where innate rights/freedoms we are born with, the Constitution was set in place to prohibit the government from doing just that.

it has nothing to do with your god...by the way does your god allow you to blaspheme? my constitution protects my right to do so, so i would say that this non believer has more rights than ANY/all religious persons that adds additional laws to themselves through their book.
edit on 31-10-2011 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
A Federal Judge has issued a restraining order, so much for them being squatters now isn't there

Umm......No.
This just goes to show how important local elections are regarding the election or appointment of judges. It's clear that the liberal/progressive judges like to overstep their bounds by doing everything possible to promote their ideology. Their ideology comes first even before the law.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Reply to post by CaDreamer

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Reply to post by CaDreamer

Yes, my God gives me the right to blaspheme.

In fact, I have freedom to live my life as I choose.

And by the way, you do not know the founding fathers too well.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 10/31/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

The founding fathers new where our rights came from, that you deny it does not make it untrue.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

The governor's plan totally backfired, and exposed the state to lawsuits. Their reasoning for passing this "law" (laws have to be made by the legislature) was safety concerns in the plaza, especially at night. There are two troopers assigned to the legislative building that, up until early last week, made regular rounds around the plaza. They stopped a few days after the encampment arrived. They then made this rule, citing "safety concerns" and not having the resources to police the plaza (which they just stopped doing!) and almost immediately selectively enforced it (they let theatre goers cross the plaza after 10) with 72 Tennessee Highway Patrol officers and two buses. So much for not having any resources. They made 57 arrests, including one journalist.

This supposed "law" directly inhibited the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and Section 23 of the Tennessee Constitution. Whether you or not you agree with this groups message, you should be concerned by the infringement of your rights.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by benw7701

And here is the video, of that journalist, whom was arrested. You can hear him clearly state say he was press. Which fell on deaf ears. The journalists boss, has demanded an public apology.

SouthComm Publishing CEO Chris Ferrell sent an letter to Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam’s (R) office saying he expected a public apology after state troopers arrested a Nashville Scene reporter along with protesters at the “Occupy Nashville” demonstration.

“I learned this morning that one of my reporters at the Nashville Scene was arrested last night while covering the protests at Legislative Plaza despite identifying himself as a reporter,” he wrote.

Raw Story

This part, I find amusing.

Despite that plea, state troopers charged Meador with public intoxication, although they didn’t administer a Breathalyzer or blood test to him.

join