It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denver Occupy... Protest Gets Violent!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Well, I think everyone knows this will just escalate. I'm thinking the protesters are just getting restless, cold, and tired. Unless they actually thought the 1% worked and/or lived in the state capitol building. You never know.

Occupy Denver protesters, police clash in downtown

DENVER – At least seven people were arrested in downtown Denver during a confrontation between Denver Police and Occupy Denver protesters Saturday afternoon.

A police spokesman says the confrontation began when some Occupy Denver protesters tried to "occupy" the state capitol, which is illegal.

“I saw the police become brutal for no reason,” said a woman who was at the protest. “I saw them choke a guy, I saw people get tear gassed who weren’t violent.”

Witnesses say some in the crowd were throwing objects at police, and that a police officer patrolling the protest on a motorcycle was pushed off his bike.

“We did have an officer who was pushed off his motorcycle and we had officers who were kicked,” said Denver Police Lieutenant Matt Murray. “When it escalated to that point we made an all-citywide call for every available officer, and that’s what you’re seeing now.”

No serious injuries have been reported.

Sources say a few officers have resorted to pepper spray and other non-lethal devices such as rubber bullets in an effort to control the crowd.

Developing story…

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
it's about... to go.... DOWN....

power to the people..

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I'm curious as to what happened. Did the police use such for after people started throwing things, or did people start throwing things after they were shot at with rubber bullets and swamped with tear gas?
edit on 29-10-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
I'm curious as to what happened. Did the police use such for after people started throwing things, or did people start throwing things after they were shot at with rubber bullets and swamped with tear gas?

Quote from article...

Developing story…

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Any critical injuries?

If not I'd have to say this is being over-played.

Don't forget there are actual people dying in countries all around the world for less. A lot less.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
According to my sister who is a denver protester, the police tried to "trample" some of their tents and some protesters fought back.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
It looks like it's going down right now, here's some livestream from Denver.
www.emergencystream.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
According to my sister who is a denver protester, the police tried to "trample" some of their tents and some protesters fought back.

Trample means to tear down? They were being evicted again?

Just asking for clarification. Not a emotional outburst.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

She hasn't txtd me back yet but I believe (according to the live stream) they they are being evicted right now. I see tents being dragged into trucks.

ETA: yes they're being ousted.

edit on 29-10-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
What is the status on USA today? There is riots in the streets. This is being kept out of mass-media, but you can use Twitter to find out about it. Just do a search on #ows. There is also quite a mess in the political processes in America today. Congress is not doing anything. Republicans is blocking almost everything. There is no reason for the house to give congress new material, because nothing will be done about it. So, the politicians are at a political stand-still. Republicans must take most responsibility for this. There are some economical macro-numbers that are optimistic, but there is also many numbers that points downwards.

So, what can happen? I'll start with the most unlikely and work my way downwards. Martial law in one or more cities because riots gets out of control. Protests can explode nationwide because somebody gets killed at a protest. A general strike is called, and lots of areas of society is affected. A shock in the economy makes the stock-exchanges go way down. US credit-rating gets downgraded. Lots of bad things can happen. What I suggest is that the Republicans start to compromise in Congress asap. It can defuse a possible dangerous situation.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by nidstav

general strike has already been called..

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by nidstav

I really don't see a successful General strike happening in the US. To many people looking for work who will take advantage of it.

Thus causing more tempers to flare...

And causing more violence, though this time it is the Unions using the OWS as cover...

And the cycle continues.

*Twinkles*

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

Can you find a source for this? Thank you.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Article from the AP about an hour old. No mention of trampling tents as 'reported' above, at least as of now.

Denver police use force on Occupy protesters

DENVER (AP) — A tense standoff between protesters and authorities near the steps of the Colorado Capitol erupted into a clash Saturday that resulted in a surge of demonstrators being met with police force that included reports of pepper spray and rubber bullets.

The situation downtown escalated when some supporters of the Occupy Wall Street movement marching in a group of about 2,000 tried to advance up the Capitol steps.

About eight officers scuffled with a group of protesters, according to The Denver Post (goo.gl...), and police confirmed to the newspaper that they used pepper spray and either rubber bullets or pepper balls to break up the crowd.

Denver police spokesman Matt Murray said protesters knocked an officer off his motorcycle and other officers were kicked by demonstrators.

Murray said seven protesters were arrested, including two for assault and one for disobedience. He said some demonstrators had received medical treatment on the scene, but no one had been taken to a hospital.

Mike Korzen, 25, said he was among the protesters whom police dispersed with rubber bullets and pepper spray.

"I was standing there with my hands behind my back," Korzen said, using a water bottle to wash pepper spray from his eyes.

Democratic Rep. Ed Perlmutter of the Denver suburbs visited the protest site Saturday afternoon to try to calm protesters.

After the clash several protesters moved across the street to a park where a small encampment has been established. A city street between the park and the Capitol was blocked by police cars and a Denver bus.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
This will get uglier, as expected.

The cops overstepped their authority bigtime in Oakland, and that just added fuel to the fire. OWS protests around the country will not have as much patience going forward. Showing up to a peaceful protest in riot gear is an act of instigation in the first place.

I didn't see cops in riot gear surrounding the cops protesting in NY today, did I? Apparently, they only do that to citizens, while they themselves expect the right/freedom to protest.

Funny logic isn't it?

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Go figure more violence from the angels for the "precious" OWS movement funny they all say and shout they are the victims!

Takes two to tango.

Here comes Marshal Law all according to plan.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
By what's happening on the webcam link jlv70 posted above, it looks like the march up the capitol steps by the 2000+ protesters was the straw that broke the camel's back. They're loading up garbage trucks from the park now.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Go figure more violence from the angels for the "precious" OWS movement funny they all say and shout they are the victims!

Takes two to tango.

Here comes Marshal Law all according to plan.

look ma.....no electricity.......

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

From what I gather it appears the protesters started the violence first. I don't think kicking an officer deserves a rubber bullet though. Since when did we even start using those damn things for crowd control anyways? They're just asking for someone to get hit in the head and die..

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

2000+ protesters vs 8 police officers? Hmmm. What should they have used?

<<   2 >>

join