It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guelph parents miffed at moves to mute Halloween celebrations in local schools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
GUELPH — A Paisley Road Public School parent is irked her daughter in kindergarten won’t be allowed to participate in Halloween celebrations Monday at the apparent whim of a couple of teachers.

Amanda Randall said it raises a fundamental question about whether Canadians can keep their traditions, like Halloween and Christmas, in a politically-correct age of deference to other cultures but not its own.

“We’re losing Canada — in Canada,” Randall said Friday, stressing schools celebrated Halloween as a slightly ghoulish but fun unofficial holiday when she was a child, but are increasingly turning away from this. “They’re taking away my choice as a parent. This is my culture. I’m from Canada.”

www.guelphmercury.com...

This really seems to be a problem with western culture these days, with the way things are going in Canada and the US with governments stripping peoples rights we also can't seem to do a lot of stuff due to political correctness. It is strange really it almost is like we can't do anything without offending a person, or getting sued.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by hypr2011

I agree. I'm sick and tired of spirit trees. Does it really matter? When I was in school we had one student that was not Christian and he and I were good friends. He wished that they would just shut up and give him a Christmas tree to make like all the other kids, rather than treat him special and make a scene. Not sure why we lost our customs, but we should get them back. It was a tradition in this country, because it's fun. Who cares what religion you are? If your religion prohibits fun, then it's not a very good religion imo.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
People should be honouring and celebrating their differences by taking part in each others activities, rather then wanting to abolish every one of them, because they might hurt each others feelings.

Todays society is so hung up individual rights (as a single person or as a group), that most fail to see the beauty in that differences can also be used to acknowledge a shortcoming in ones self and therefor be fruitful to one another.
What one lacks, the other could provide for.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Yea its sad really, we are preventing kids from well just being kids due to political correctness.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Christmas is one thing, halloween is something completely different.

The Halloween tradition is a morbid one. I cant see the fun in it unless you are dressing as spiderman. The other costumes are of whores, sluts, murderers, walking dead, blood suckers, cannibals, witches.

Its quiet the demonic tradition. So i dont blame some of these teachers. A 5 year old doesnt need to see blood, fake death, knives through fake skulls and dead people that walk.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by hypr2011
Amanda Randall said it raises a fundamental question about whether Canadians can keep their traditions, like Halloween and Christmas, in a politically-correct age of deference to other cultures but not its own.

Just as a point of reference, when the culturally diverse institution where I was employed decided to lose the word 'Christmas'. I made a lot of noise about it. I was quite surprised to learn that it was not in response to complaints from 'new Canadians'...rather, because a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses had taken offence.

Which is not to slag a particular religion, but to state that it can't all be blamed on brown people...or Jews, as it so often is.

I provide a link to a column written by Toronto Sun columnist Lorrie Goldstein some time ago...while not endorsing the Sun, Goldstein in general, nor the blog. The content is kinda refreshing, though.

s14.invisionfree.com...

Edit to say that Hallowe'en is a throwback to the old religion of Northern Europe, and I am entranced by the fact that we still observe elements of the faith that served those who lived in the primeval forests. Before we adopted a Middle Eastern faith. And I am cheered by all the hints of those ancient Gods that somehow can't be erased from the Western psyche.

Happy Hallowe'en...and a Merry Christmas to come.
edit on 29-10-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The main concerns about Halloween seem to come from some religious people, who regard it as a bit too much of an occult celebration.

The fairest thing to do would be to have Halloween celebrations and activities as non-compulsory events, so as parents could opt their children out if they were uncomfortable about it.

It's not right that the majority of children should be denied the chance to participate in Halloween activities ( which most people would regard as harmless fun ), all because a small minority who may be upset by it.

It's just not a reasonable decision which the teachers made.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Teachers just gave out candy and we had a costume contest. Not really a big deal?

join