It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Slanted" eyes?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
The further south asians live, the less slanted thier eyes become. Because the further south, there are no endless snowfields and blinding light. South asians have rounder eyes than Koreans or mongolians.

Other races did not develop the slanted eye because there was no need, they usually lived in the tropics or subtropics (Africans and south Indians) or in cold wet, cloudy, dark climates, like Caucasians.

I support this point, just wanted to add a few details.

I am from Singapore, a country nestled in the tropics, and my ancestors hailed from china, making me pure chinese. One thing i know is that, over the years, the chinese population whose ancestors were chinese immigrants in the 19th century gradualy lost their slanted eyes. THere is a visible difference in the eye shape between a chinese man living in the tropics and a chinese man from up north.

Main reason would be the sudden change of environment, like what he said

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BangorangRufio

Try and google these key words "why my IQ downward slant". Let us know what you come up with, Steve Doocy.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Joonky

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
The further south asians live, the less slanted thier eyes become. Because the further south, there are no endless snowfields and blinding light. South asians have rounder eyes than Koreans or mongolians.

Other races did not develop the slanted eye because there was no need, they usually lived in the tropics or subtropics (Africans and south Indians) or in cold wet, cloudy, dark climates, like Caucasians.

I support this point, just wanted to add a few details.

I am from Singapore, a country nestled in the tropics, and my ancestors hailed from china, making me pure chinese. One thing i know is that, over the years, the chinese population whose ancestors were chinese immigrants in the 19th century gradualy lost their slanted eyes. THere is a visible difference in the eye shape between a chinese man living in the tropics and a chinese man from up north.

Main reason would be the sudden change of environment, like what he said

It's interesting that this physiological change would happen so quickly. Evolution says stuff like this takes millions of years to do. But then again, I never bought into the whole evolution bit. I think people change, but not based on "random mutation."

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a little bit of proper descriptions ... sorry but it can be a little of a ocd in this area ...

Oriental describes objects ... rugs, vases, flavoring packets

Asian/Japanese/Chinese/etc. ... people.

Eskimos is a slang term that is considered derogatory.

Inuits is the proper term for that culture from Alaska to Iceland.

I wouldn't want to be called a WOP because of my Italian heritage.

The anime question. You usually see large eyes in characters that are intended to be pure/innocent/good-natured, and almost always female characters. Males usually have narrow, beady eyes, and evil characters this is amplified. It is a great way to display emotion and intentions, and it mimics real life to an extent. Think about when you are angry, most people scrunch their eyes ... excited or happy, eyes are wider.

About asians ... I have heard of some that undergo surgery to have 'western' eyelids. Of course like another poster said, natural variety exists.

It is all in the genes

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeThinkerIdealist

From Wikipedia.

Orientals and the Orient

The term "Oriental" (from the Latin word for "Eastern")[45] was originally used in Europe in reference to the Near East. It was later extended to the rest of Asia, but came to refer to Northeast Asians and Southeast Asians in the 19th and 20th century US,[46] where most Asians were Chinese (and later Japanese and Filipino). By the late 20th century, the term had gathered associations in North America with older attitudes now seen as outmoded, and was replaced with the term "Asian" as part of the updating of language concerning social identities,[47] which critics have derided as political correctness.[48]

Just wondering how it is OK to refer to people as western but not eastern?

Also a good therory I heard on this was because the Original Asains chose eyes and the original Indians got body hair and noses... (That's from a comedian Russell Peters - You tube him - a little adult but very funny)

MonKey

Peace!

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I personally have no problem calling them 'easterners' ... but ... there is still a slight problem if it is purely geographic location ... so russians are also eastern. Russians are Asians
Since, all of the land is on one half of the planet, we would all be that same side as far as I am concerned, I don't care where you lay the prime meridian. Hawaiians can be oceaners and the rest of us continentals.

I just know a lot of people who find it derogatory it be called eskimos instead of inuits and orientals instead of asians (through online communications). Just like I wouldn't like to be called cracker or white bread ... of course, the list goes on.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind having the native indians feature of hairless bodies and thick haired heads.

I guess, in the end, it doesn't matter unless the person/people around you find offense.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   
to be non-pc ... and felt a new topic wasn't fully necessary ...

What is with the teeth across the pond? I was around cable yesterday, and watched BBCa ... the house cleaning show ... I noticed most of the teeth could use a set of braces ... I have also noticed this on quite a few asians.

Is it that more people get braces and have more proportional teeth in the u.s.? Is that a benefit of a 'melting pot'? Is it just that tv catches all the more snaggle-toothed people from other countries that make it seem like the averages are quite high?

My teeth are slightly misplaced from crowding, but generally straight. A lot of recent video I have watched, it looks like there are extra teeth growing or there are beaver like genes involved.

Now, I don't really care ... sometimes out of place teeth can be more attractive to me than ones that have been made un-naturally perfect by braces, and bleached so white that they blind people.

I was just curious if tv is reinforcing the old stereotype (as evident in Austin Powers) ... or is it really like that?

no offense intended towards anyone.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   

To be completely honest with you... Here in HK there are loads of really cute, hot lookin women, who when they open their mouths. It's like OMG! It's a halloween graveyard in there!

What makes it worse is that they will be carrying a Gucci bag and wearing D&G sunglasses and having the whole snaggle-tooth thing going on. UGH!!

Dentists are an up and comming area of the sevice sector in Hong Kong. The next generation of dentists are gunna make a lotta money.... Hmmmm how long to retrain!!

MonKey

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NetNinja42

Or it could just be that the muscles are more relaxed due to the environment, both in terms of climate and populace. I've found that when I spend time with the Native half of my family, I come home looking like them - the set of my jaw, the way I hold my eyelids, etc.

It's an unconscious reflex people have to try to "fit in" with whoever the spend a lot of time with.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

Now that you mention it ... I have saw quite a few asian snaggle toothed females ... in some videos ... umm ... well, nevermind on that

Again, I find it to be attactive sometimes, but every once in a while, it hits you like a brick wall ... and you have to fight that inclination to stare at it
Kind of like this asian guy that came in to a job I had once ... had a mole on his face, with hair growing out of it ... 6"+ in length, while the rest of his face was cleanly shaved ... just about turned my stomach over. I still have nightmarish images of the guy stroking it and such ... eww ... I couldn't figure why someone wouldn't pluck or shave those hairs off.

There was this heavy white guy I worked with at a dealership ... he had this weird wart on his thumb that also turned my stomach ... maybe i have ocd
but it stuck out and had prong like growths, looked rubbery ... I got freaked out to touch door handles and steering wheels behind the guy. He may have been nice, but that thing on his thumb wasn't!

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
BTW...White skin absorbs LESS sunlight than black skin. Think on it buddy. Black absorbs more heat, because it absorbs more light.

Yes.. but this 'rule' applies to actual colour not skin pigmentation.

And the reason black skin absorbs more light than white skin, is due to the higher levels of melatonin (is this the right spelling?) in the skin.

The purpose of melatonin is to protect the skin from sunlight and prevent it from absorbing to much. Whites developed lighter skin as they weren't getting enough sunlight once they moved to darker climates.

[edit on 22-10-2007 by riley]

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

Originally posted by CheeseKnob
Yes he is 100% chinese. Otherwise I wouldnt state that comment.

As I stated above though, not all Orientals have slanted eyes! It's a myth...just like not all of us NA have coal balck hair, I happen to, but many don't.

Oh. My. God. Please stop calling us "Orientals".

I don't see how asians having slanted eyes could possibly be political other than the question itself being politically incorrect.

Anyway, all races' features trace back for thousands and thousands of years. I've heard several different theories as to why different races have the features they share today and I'm pretty sure no one on ATS would know which one is correct. If you actually want to know the scientific answer to your question, I suggest you ask a professional.

And believe it or not, "slanted eyes" is not a defining trait of all asians... so I suggest you stop stereotyping.

Sorry, I think I'm taking this too personally. I was being teased today by kids who thought it would be funny to pull their eyes back and say "chinky winky" to me.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paresthesia

I am used to using the word "asian" but I don't understand why people have made "oriental" a bad word or something. Like it was said, it just means Eastern. I wouldn't care if someone called me an "occidental." I'm unaware of any history of the word being used in a derogatory way like the word "'n-word'" has or something.

edit:

, I guess the automatic censors agree with me! No change for 'oriental'

[edit on 10/23/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Paresthesia

If it makes you feel any better I was only refered to as a "Gwai Loh" 3 times today which I find as do many other westerns living in Asia to be completely racist.

Still I could always give them the big PK!!

And what really rubs me up the wrong way is how people refer to my son as "Gwai Zai" being as he was born here.

He's not a "Gwai Zai" or a "Chinky Wink" (that's really awful you should have bee och slapped the little buggers) so what is he?

MonKey

My comments reguarding Hong Kongers dental problems stand - Braces all round!!

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Originally posted by Paresthesia

I am used to using the word "asian" but I don't understand why people have made "oriental" a bad word or something. Like it was said, it just means Eastern. I wouldn't care if someone called me an "occidental." I'm unaware of any history of the word being used in a derogatory way like the word "'n-word'" has or something.

edit:

, I guess the automatic censors agree with me! No change for 'oriental'

[edit on 10/23/2007 by djohnsto77]

Oriental isn't a bad word, but for some reason it just bothers me when people refer to people as oriental. The word oriental is used to describe objects like oriental rugs or oriental gems, not people or so I've been taught.
But this is going off topic...

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Paresthesia

Who is that? ... I almost swear that looks like a singer I listen to or an actress I have watched but cannot place who, though I could be totally wrong and that is you

But as far as the oriental thing ... that is the same point I made, and I am anything but asian. I do have dreams of grandeur of moving to Japan one day.

If I heard someone using chinky winky, gwai loh, or anything similar, I would be rather disturbed, and, I have said stuff to people before because it really irks me that people are so thoughtless and rude ...

Too bad people cannot mature past that kind of bull ... I guess my past makes me a little more sensitive to it than normal ... so I can understand if others don't see it or are bothered by it as much.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
^ Indeed. It baffles me, and here I thought highschoolers would be more mature than elementary schoolers...

And I don't know who that is. She could very well be a singer. I just found that picture and thought, wow her eyes aren't slanted at all but she still looks very asian. Just thought I'd like to share, ahaha.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey

From Wikipedia.

Orientals and the Orient

The term "Oriental" (from the Latin word for "Eastern")[45] was originally used in Europe in reference to the Near East. It was later extended to the rest of Asia, but came to refer to Northeast Asians and Southeast Asians in the 19th and 20th century US,[46] where most Asians were Chinese (and later Japanese and Filipino). By the late 20th century, the term had gathered associations in North America with older attitudes now seen as outmoded, and was replaced with the term "Asian" as part of the updating of language concerning social identities,[47] which critics have derided as political correctness.[48]

Just wondering how it is OK to refer to people as western but not eastern?

Also a good therory I heard on this was because the Original Asains chose eyes and the original Indians got body hair and noses... (That's from a comedian Russell Peters - You tube him - a little adult but very funny)

MonKey

Peace!

That was what I wrote before!

ORIGIN late Middle English : from Old French, or from Latin orientalis, from orient- (see orient ).USAGE The term Oriental, denoting a person from the Far East, is regarded as offensive by many Asians, esp. Asian Americans. It has many associations with European imperialism in Asia. Therefore, it has an out-of-date feel and tends to be associated with a rather offensive stereotype of the people and their customs as inscrutable and exotic. Asian and more specific terms such as East Asian, Chinese, and Japanese are preferred.

That is from another source!

The world has changed a lot, it's not such a big place anymore. People from all walks of life, colours and creeds are living all over the place.

Most people couldn't tell you the difference between (in looks alone) someone from Korea, Japan, China, Hong Kong and Thailand. But they are not the only Asians. Indians and Pakistanis are also Asains. Mongolia and Laos and Cambodia are also in Asia.

Asia is a big ass place!!

And man you don't wanna say someone from mainland China is Japanese, cos there are still some real historical issues between the countries and some people I have met would find that way more offensive than being called Oriental.

Language is forever evolving! Semantics is always an issue. Places like this (ATS) helps to spread messages of what is exceptable and what is not.

Who knows in years to come maybe we will all just be HUMAN!!

MonKey

x

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey

And man you don't wanna say someone from mainland China is Japanese, cos there are still some real historical issues between the countries and some people I have met would find that way more offensive than being called Oriental.

Language is forever evolving! Semantics is always an issue. Places like this (ATS) helps to spread messages of what is exceptable and what is not.

Who knows in years to come maybe we will all just be HUMAN!!

MonKey

x

can dream of the day we are all just human, yes.

on the same note as you mentioned above ... you will see this same pattern here but for different nationalities. Don't call different 'spanish' people the wrong nationality (spanish is better, even though no where near spain
) ... So if you don't know if they are peurto rican, mexican, cuban, haitian, etc. ... don't just call them whatever, for they each have strong pride of their true heritage.

but you are right, we are all humans. one day people won't see color, or character differences ... those will just be unique features that define us as individuals, not separate us into groups and divide us like our fake national borders do.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   

That will be the day where we, as a species, find something else that we hate about each other. I'm sorry, idealism is well and good, but we're basically just lemurs who are especially good at exploding.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join