It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

285 Indian girls named "UNWANTED" change their names for a new start!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

More than 200 Indian girls whose names mean "unwanted" in Hindi have chosen new names for a fresh start in life.

In shedding names like "Nakusa" or "Nakushi," which mean "unwanted" in Hindi, some girls chose to name themselves after Bollywood stars such as "Aishwarya" or Hindu goddesses like "Savitri." Some just wanted traditional names with happier meanings, such as "Vaishali," or "prosperous, beautiful and good."

ABC News / International
(Sorry about the non-credible source: ABC News
)

"Now in school, my classmates and friends will be calling me this new name, and that makes me very happy," said a 15-year-old girl who had been named Nakusa by a grandfather disappointed by her birth. She chose the new name "Ashmita," which means "very tough" or "rock hard" in Hindi.

Girls have been extremely subjugated and discriminated against, with a much higher death rate at young ages and higher abortion rate of female fetuses, for various reasons. Under age 6 there are only 914 girls to every 1,000 boys, down from 927:1000 a decade ago. In some districts the rate is as low as 881:1000.

Nice to see this attrocity making the news and bringing some awareness and much needed change to this unjustice!

Imagine what those 285 girls must be feeling right now! Talk about changing times in our world: Arab Spring, #Occupy, even local instances in India of name changes to increase respect. Good times, in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

Girls are good.
The world needs more girls.

World would be a better place if demographics were just 51/49 in favor of girls instead of boys (through natural chance as opposed to social/cultural).

Which would leave the world a more terrible place:
A fatal virus that attacks hosts with Y chromosome?
or, A fatal virus that attacks hosts with paired X chromosomes?

A world with a majority population of women would be more peaceful.
We've already seen what a world looks like where majority power is in the hands of men.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
gosh what kind of parents name their daughter UNWANTED (in hindi)?

does this happen in China too??

i dont think i ever heard of an American named Unwanted, although some 800 children die in USA everyday

edit on 23-10-2011 by ignant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

seriously! I can't even comprehend anyone naming a child that way....

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I've been to India.

Its like going to a different planet.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
gosh what kind of parents name their daughter UNWANTED (in hindi)?

does this happen in China too??

i dont think i ever heard of an American named Unwanted, although some 800 children die in USA everyday

edit on 23-10-2011 by ignant because: (no reason given)

Totally different culture over there.It's sad that ANY child is made to feel like they're not wanted.
I read this earlier and found it disgusting.What is it with you ats people twisting every thread to be about america? Stick to the frickin article thats posted. I'm looking at you,ignant.
edit on 23-10-2011 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotReallyASecret
I've been to India.

Its like going to a different planet.

What can I say? I believe it...

I was with a hindu girl for quite a while and... things are done VERY differently.

That is just horrible. Naming their daughter unwanted?

Makes me sad for Indian and Hindu people. But there are those within the culture who are far more progressive and realize there are major problems with that culture.... Those are the ones who will gradually change things.

Good for these girls, changing their names.

top topics

join