It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Form of Life Discovered in Ocean's Blackest Depths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I have always felt that there were various living things that live in the ocean that have yet to be discovered, and this is yet one more example of that. I think this is fascinating news, in a world where "its all been done before" and "nothing new under the sun", this is a refreshing reminder that the world is still a mysterious place, and there is still undiscovered life on our own planet.
www.foxnews.com...

Scientists plumbing the depths of the Mariana Trench -- the deepest part of the ocean on the planet -- have identified gigantic amoebas lurking miles and miles beneath the waters. The creatures are called xenophyophores, and scientists from the Scripps Institute of Oceanography at UC San Diego spotted them in the cold, crushing depths 6.6 miles beneath the white caps.

"They are fascinating giants that are highly adapted to extreme conditions but at the same time are very fragile and poorly studied,” said Lisa Levin, a deep-sea biologist and director of the Scripps Center for Marine Biodiversity and Conservation. Scripps scientists said xenophyophores are among the largest individual cells in existence, often growing longer than four inches. Recent studies indicate that by trapping particles from the water, xenophyophores can concentrate high levels of lead, uranium and mercury and are thus likely highly resistant to large doses of heavy metals. They also are well suited to a life of darkness, low temperature and high pressure in the deep sea. “The identification of these gigantic cells in one of the deepest marine environments on the planet opens up a whole new habitat for further study of biodiversity … and extreme environment adaptation,” Levin said.

I just wonder what else can be found down there? The ocean is indeed a vast frontier, and I look forward to seeing what other discoveries there are.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

This is old news, but they're probably the most ancient form of life left on the planet.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

edit on 21-10-2011 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas1
Recent studies indicate that by trapping particles from the water, xenophyophores can concentrate high levels of lead, uranium and mercury and are thus likely highly resistant to large doses of heavy metals.

They should farm these and put them near Fukushima. They could absorb a lot...

Imagine seeing a wandering single cell of 4 inches long... Life forms can be wonderfully strange.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

I dunno if I would stick them in Fukashima.

You might end up with The Blob!

ewwwwwww

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
The article said something about the Dropcam movie. i don't see a link to any movie. I'd like to see whats down there at 6.6 miles.

join