It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sharing the powerful words of a newly-discovered voice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I had never heard of Derrick Jensen before discovering him on a recent youtube binge, and he's only been mentioned a few times on this site. I love listening to people like this who can sum up a lot of feelings you had, that you didn't know how to put into words. And he is subtly hilarious at the same time. It seems like these types of voices are never here with us for very long, so it's always nice to discover someone with this perspective who is still alive and kicking. I wanted to share this hoping that some of you might also be hearing him for the first time and be inspired by what he has to say. This is him discussing the premises of his book, Endgame, in front of a small audience. Stuff like this is more valuable than gold if you ask me, so see what you think!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Im only about 20 minutes in and its great so far.
Thank you very much for posting this. My wife and I will watch it together tonight.

He speaks with such sincerity in his voice. very easy to listen to.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Thanks for posting. I am going to watch it tonight, too.
From the first ten minutes, I think it's great.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
everybody should read his book "The Machine". Scary look around us and what ideas are out there.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Hi, OP.

I have been listening to this since you posted it. I am very grateful to have this. I am really enjoying listening to this man talk. He is either a savant or very highly educated and probably both. Takes a lot of knowledge and information to be able to do what he does. I really dig this. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
That video was one of the most thought provoking and eye opening videos I have ever seen. I really want this video to be on the main page.

I do not hope it will be on the main page for that would be giving up my ability to do so. I will do what it takes to get it there.

Thank you so much for this great video.

S & F a thousand times over.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I love Jensen.
I have all of his books.
Also have them in ebook, if anyone wants to read them.
or you could prob find them easy enough..
either way.

Very good stuff.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I got about five minutes in and im kind of annoyed by his premise "industrial civilization can never be sustainable." Technology changes. Pretty much everything we have today in industrialized societies are way more efficient and less corrosive to the environment than the ones we had say 50 years ago. So obviously in order for industrialized society to continue to exist it has to keep changing in order to become more efficient in order for people to make more money and more goods. After he made that comment I did a quick google search on some of his more famous quotes and he seems to be romanticizing the lifestyles of the indigenous peoples. They do live off the land and use some of the modern medicine we use was based off of their herbal remedies....their way of life is still kind of primitive when compared with industrialized societies.

I mean if it werent for industrialized societies we would have way less understanding of the way in which the world works. We would have not had the same innovation in medicine for one. I feel as if science and technology kind of go hand in hand in the advancement of the human race. And yes we have done terrible things to the world. But we also realize we are doing it and people are attempting to mitigate the damage it is doing to the environment. For example, green technology is now taken more seriously than it was even 10 years ago. And it does not take a sociologist to see our societies are not great places. But it takes time, innovation, change, etc. I feel like this guy is making a case that the grass is greener....when its clearly not. However, I do believe there are things we can learn from indigenous people.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

There is certainly a place for innovation, I don't think he's arguing that......according to the red & yellow, black & white belief of (I think) the Hopi indians, the white man's contribution is technology. I mean it's tough to even comprehend what good the internet alone has done for the world as a way to learn and communicate. But you say industrialized society couldn't continue without becoming more efficient so people can make more money and more goods, and that's kindof the problem. First, I've come to hate the word "efficiency." But the main thing is, I don't believe the goal should be to make more money! It is destroying our home, and the homes of everything on the planet. PEOPLE have been ruining this place instead of caring for it, and somebody has to point this out. You say people are attempting to mitigate the damage (and a few are).......what about corporations like monsanto, that seem to get more powerful by the day? It all needs to stop, but there are too many disractions and people are only gradually beginning to pay attention.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Everytime he said that he was going to do some "hope" bashing alittle later, I was dumbfounded as to why in the world someone would want to bash on hope. But after listening to what he had to say, my perspective has completly changed.

Hope is a disease that plagues us all.

People say: I HOPE that guy broke down on the side of the road is okay.
I HOPE I get that new job promotion
I HOPE my marriage works out

If the thoughts you have that you 'hope' to come true, then you should replace the word 'hope' with this phase.

"I will do everything in my power to make sure"

So now those previous staments would read:
I will do everything in my power to make sure that guy broke down is okay
I will do everything in my power to make sure I get that job promotion
I will do everything in my power to make sure my marriage works out

This is pretty much elaborating on the old saying
"Hope in one hand , sh*t in the other and see which one fills up faster."

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Bumpity
Bump bump

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Bump since i just watched this and was gonna post it. Search engine

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Damn, it's like everything he is talking about in his book is taking place now...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Its sad that this thread wont make it to the top due to the amount of time past since it was posted. For everyone that has watched this vid and liked it, you should post on your facebook(if you still have one). Then come back here and post the video again. Just create a thread regarding ONE of the topics he has discussed. Its a way to get around the little rule about posting stuff that has already been posted.

So you too can re-post this video in your own thread. just start the topic off by talking about a certain aspect of the vid.

join