It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we all racist by nature?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I was visiting with some friends the other evening, one of them brought up an interesting hypothetical situation.

“There are two people you know nothing about other than one is the same race as you, the other is not. One of these people must die and you need to decide who lives and who dies. In this scenario there is no way to avoid the decision, it’s that simple. You have never seen or met either of these people and never will. What is your choice?”

(This is not a typical conversation with my friends.) I had made the statement that I don’t judge people based on appearance, race or religion. He believes that all people are racist to some extent that it is ‘hardwired’ in our brain and we are taught not to be racist. In a situation like the one given here he thinks animal instinct will push a person to choose their own race, some kind of survival mechanism.

I chose to save the person of my same race…..am I racist? Is he right?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Humans naturally like to gather in packs of there own. for example they call america the melting pot
but we don't really melt we stick with the pack. If you are asian you will find your china town, black , you will find your black neighborhood and etc with the others.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I don't think it would be unusual to choose the person of the same race. However, I don't think that's being racist. Being racist is having the mindset that a different race is inferior. It's like thinking that their lives have less value than a "real" human. So, perhaps there is that element hardwired in our brains, so to speak, but I wouldn't call it racism. I think people are just more apt to go with what they are familiar with. Interesting question though.

link   
Racism is taught.

Ask any kid who has a friend of a different race.

The kid won't ever say, oh he's my black friend, or my indian friend, or any other label. The child will use friend.

People are taught racism either by their parents of their environment, or society in general.

~Keeper

link   
reply to post by kellerphoenix

Sociologically/psychologically speaking "Yes", we are all racists to the extent that survival of our species is hardwired and innate. To that end, "racism" as defined by racial preference, extends into our desire to procreate with those that we perceive to have genes most compatible with our own. To that end, we are wired to prefer our own race.

"Racism" as defined by hating another race because they are different is a learned trait and not at all related to what I was speaking about above.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
for a decision like that i'd flick a coin and then you let lady luck make the choice that way you cant be considered racist especially if you dont know which race is assigned heads and which one tails

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Yes...you are racist.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
That's an interesting theory that we're "hardwired". In a scenario like that, even if it sounds ridiculous, I don't think it was racist unless the choice was based on skin color. If you didn't trust a black dude you don't know because he might have looked intimidating, that's racist but also a trust issue. In fact, the guy probably could've helped more than the white person. But by that assumption that was racist. I have friends who look like they hate the world but it's because they're a 6 foot black dude that get's stared at all day because we live in New Mexico.

So maybe we are racist and we learn to accept others. Sesame Street and After School Specials definitely are my culprit for accepting others.

edit on 21-10-2011 by Absco because: crayon cheeseburger?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Your honesty is refreshing. I believe most people would choose as you did.

I have a slight alteration to your example to propose. If it were a male and female in each race and you could save two , would your answer change slightly? I ask because I believe mine would. I think I would choose for the two females to be saved ( I am male). What does this say about human nature?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

It says you like to get down and get funky with the ladies. I would chose to same and have them bare my viking seed as we journey around on my ship. You know, waterworld style.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

It would depend on whether or not one of them was a woman and what she looked like. If Halle Berry is one of them, the other is in trouble.

I guess that makes me sexist rather than racist.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
if you go to a catholic church odds are 100% of the time everyone will be catholic and you associate yourself with those people. We gravitate to people like us. I dont see racism as seeing other people as inferior simply i want to associate with people of my culture and my traditions. To eliminate these feelings of racism you have to only have one culture and just ONE flag for planet earth and this sense of complete unity ...well i just don't see it happening anytime soon.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Absco

Gotta keep humanity going. It's a tough job but someones gotta do it!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Nope that's not racist.

You are Racist when you think another person with different skin colour is not equal to you which can lead to hating them, hating the community he belongs to, attacking him, attacking others of his kind, and killing.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
If I cant save you both then.........

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I think the only answer truly void of any racism or bias is to say that I will take the place of them both. Now who can do that?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
If people weren't "racist" in times past, there wouldn't be any different races around today. Think about that. People naturally tend to want to survive, and protecting your own race has historically been the way to do that.

Today, of course, making your own race a priority is seen as a bad thing.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
If you believe in Jesus Christ, you're a Christian.

If you believe in races, you're a racist.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Would it be racist to shoot them both and live another day with double the amount of food and supplies?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Absco

No that would be elitest or global minimalist. Are you 1%??

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join