It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Occupy Cleveland' Protester Alleges She Was Raped

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

cleveland.cbslocal.com

Cleveland police are investigating an alleged sexual assault incident Saturday at the “Occupy Cleveland” rally involving a 19-year-old female student from Parma.

According to police reports, the 19-year-old student was instructed by “Occupy Cleveland” personnel to “share a tent with the suspect due to a shortage of tents.” The suspect identified himself as “Leland” to the woman. The woman told police that after she had thought the suspect went to sleep in his own bed, she slept in a sleeping bag provided to her by the rally.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I have attended the OWS Cleveland rallies for a bit now and never seen this coming. The people were all very polite, didn’t disrupt others and kept the place clean.

I’m glad she came forward and I hope she gets justice.

The actions of one depraved individual have tarnished this particular group’s image.

I would like to point out that the actions of one does not reflect the groups mindset.

cleveland.cbslocal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

There is also the possibility that this is merely disinformation.. Who knows, people are screwed up man. I don't know how you could just rape somebody, you never know what to trust these days. To hell with it all.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

How does someone get raped in a tent city?
"Help, I'm being raped!" is not exactly going to go unheard.
Have soundproof tents been invented now and nobody told me?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanJP

Don't jump to conclusions...could be another Duke LaCrosse case!
Second

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Probably a few will die and get robbed as well.

Where a lot of people gather, stuff will happen. (Unfortunately)

No reason to connect it with the "occupy" movement.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
This is a good way to keep people from Protesting. Create Fear and watch the people flee.

If she was raped, I feel sorry for her but something doesnt smell right.

False Flags work perfect in creating fear.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
If this is for real TPTB will use it to discredit OWS. If this is real the MSM will use it to discredit OWS,
If this is staged TPTB will use it to discredit OWS. If this is staged the MSM will use it to discredit OWS.
DH

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

That thought occured to me as well.

And as said before, it could be disinfo of a sort.

This type of crime always get my blood pressure up.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

No conclusion jumping, just questions. As sombody stated earlier, how do you get raped in a tent, with hundreds of other tents next to you? Paper thin walls don't conceal much... I don't know, I wasn't there.

You have to be pretty damned into the rape to let it happen in a tent, especially when you KNOW that there are hundreds of people that would gladly drag your rapist to the feet of the police.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Well even at Glastonbury, Woodstock and similar music festivals and events... rapes, robberies and other crimes happen.

Unfortunately you can not stop criminals and low life scum from attending such things and taking advantage of other people whose barriers are down and who are more trusting and feeling more relaxed and communal.

People will obviously try and use this against the movement but those people are trying every tactic under the sun right now to do it... wouldn't want this spreading much further now would they?
Can't have people dictating to government and business..... oh no, it has to be the other way around.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Unfortunately for humanity rape happens everywhere just like theft. I am sure there are plenty of pick-pocketers amongst the protesters...that does not mean they are all rotten thieves.

To generalize an entire group or associate the group in anyway to one persons action is illogical in mu humble opinion.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

It's the bystander effect. The more bystanders there are the less likely they will provide any help because they assume that someone else will provide help. Just look at the case of Kitty Genovese. She was stabbed outside her apartment in New York City. Screamed for help and was heard by her neighbors, but no one did anything. During the attack the most help she got was a man telling her attacker to leave her alone. The attacker then returned a short while later and then proceeded to rape her before killing her.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Interesting that she waited so long to tell anyone about this "rape" that occurred.

In my experience, many times the rape card is played due to a sense of "buyers remorse" to satisfy their guilt or as a way to gain attention.

Of course there are real rapes, but the sad thing is that very little evidence beyond pure hearsay is required to convict someone.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Who are these "OWS personnel" and why are they dictating sleeping arrangements?

And if uncomfortable about it why listen to them?

"Oh, some guy in a 'STAFF' shirt told me to sleep in a tent with some dude I dont know so I guess I will."

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
if i were a woman. all the solidarity, peace, hugs, and rainbows in the world wouldnt get me to sleep alone in a tent with a strange man ive never met.

come on folks....
edit on 19-10-2011 by UnrelentingLurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

Rape is one of the most, if not the most, under-reported crimes. A 1981 study found that only about 18% of all rapes get reported and this number goes down if the rape occurs in a place one would not expect a sexual assault to usually occur. This is due to a number of factors, such as shame and guilt, as well as the fact that even today the victim knows people will blame them rather than their attacker. It generally takes a while for a person to finally come to the decision to report a rape and be forced to live it over and over again through witness statements and the trial.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Hmm.. lacking some key info there in the article. It doesnt say if she were concious for it. She could have always been slipped something.

The time/day it occured is within somwhat of a norm for reporting it (Saturday occured / monday reported). It compromises any evidence.

I would assume there would have been a big red flag when they told her to crawl into the tent with Ned from Horshoe caverns. Im not blaming her for the rape at all, but making that decision probably wasnt the best idea.

Hope things work on on this.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Perp holds weapon to victim's throat, threatens death if she doesn't keep quiet.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I cannot express how deep my feelings of disgust with you people are right now.

Utterly disgusting bs because you think that your pet project is under attack.

This isn't about your pet project. If she was raped, that is a freaking crime and one that you are ready to tar and feather this woman for having the gall to talk about.

Like many a pretend champion of rights, most of you are quite willing to throw women issues and women themselves under the bus for your ideology.

Gross. Disgusting.

Back off, let the police do their work and keep your dirty little politically motivated bs out of it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join