It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Posse Comitatus revoked by George Bush - how convenient

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
A program dating back to the Eisenhower era of emergency measures for an America devastated in a nuclear attack, is now converted to bestow secret powers on the president for anything he considers an emergency. The National Emergency Centers Establishment Act (HR 645), recently introduced in congress, calls for the establishment of “national emergency centers” in major regions in the US. The stated purpose of these centers is to provide “temporary housing, medical, and humanitarian assistance to individuals and families dislocated due to an emergency, major disaster” or to “meet other appropriate needs”, determined by the Secretary of Homeland Security.
Recent “Continuity of Government” planning has quietly removed time-honored constitutional protections, and increased the militarization of civilian law enforcement. For the first time in US history, military troops are allowed to do police actions (vs local law enforcement) in US cities. There is good reason for the constructive friction between existing law enforcement agencies so that power is distributed in a democracy, and local law enforcement is responsible to local citizens.
Recently the US Army established an active-duty brigade trained to manage civil unrest and crowd control. Historically this has been illegal according to the longstanding Posse Comitatus statues. It should concern us all that there has been a loss of local authority and sustained preparations for the possibility of martial law.

Sources:

“Continuity of Government: Is the State of Emergency Superseding our Constitution?” Peter Dale Scott, Global Research, Nov. 24, 2010. www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=22089

“HR 645 / U.S. PREPARING FOR CIVIL UNREST.” Allen Roland, Thepeoplesvoice.org, Mar. 16, 2010. www.thepeoplesvoice.org/TPV3/Voices.php/2010/03/16/hr-645-u-s-preparing-for-civil-unrest

“Establishing Martial Law in the US.” SourceWatch. Center for Media and Democracy.
sourcewatch.org...

“War, Martial Law, and the Economic Crisis” Excerpt from: “The Global Economic Crisis: The Great Depression of the XXI Century” by Peter Dale Scott, Global Research, Feb. 23, 2011. www.globalresearch.ca...

Student Researchers: Robert Usher and Brittney Barsotti, San Francisco State University
Faculty Evaluator: Kenn Burrows, San Francisco State University; Mickey Huff, Diablo Valley College

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Thanks for the sources. I don't have time to read it all right now, but I've subscribed to this thread so I can check it out later. This is good work....

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CaesaRodney

How is it that George Bush revokes Posse Comitatus if the bill you reference was introduced in Jan 22, 2009, two days after Mr.Obama took office. If I remember correctly, Mr. Bush was no longer president, and if this bill is to become law, it would be signed by the current president.

It appears by the timing that Mr Obama was beginning his plans very early in his presidency.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
H.R. 645 was never passed into law and cannot be enacted unless re-introduced as Congress has begun a new session.

Nice try though.

edit on 10/17/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lab4man
reply to post by CaesaRodney

It appears by the timing that Mr Obama was beginning his plans very early in his presidency.

It's also amusing that the sponsors of the bill were 4 Democrats and only 2 Republicans.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
H.R. 645 was never passed into law and cannot be enacted unless re-introduced as Congress has begun a new session.

Nice try though.

edit on 10/17/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

thank goodness.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian

Nice try though.

H.R 645 was pointless since H.R. 5122, The John Warner Defense Authorization Act did pass.

The main goal of H.R 645 was the establishment of national emergency centers run by homeland security which already existed long before that bill was even considered.

KBR

edit on 18-10-2011 by METACOMET because: fxlnk

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
russia or china if you're listening, just target washington with a low yield nuclear warhead. we'll take care of the rest.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Posse Comitatus does not apply in a invasion or direct attack on the US.
That includes a bio attack.

There is no need to revoke Posse Comitatus in those cases

its always been that way since Posse Comitatus was first enacted.

Under 18 U.S.C. § 831, the Attorney General may request that the Secretary of Defense provide emergency assistance if civilian law enforcement is inadequate to address certain types of threats involving the release of nuclear materials, such as potential use of a nuclear or radiological weapon. Such assistance may be by any personnel under the authority of the Department of Defense, provided such assistance does not adversely affect U.S. military preparedness.

en.wikipedia.org...

What does not come under the Posse Comitatus comes under the Insurrection Act of 1807

(1) The President may employ the armed forces, including the National Guard in Federal service, to--

(A) restore public order and enforce the laws of the United States when, as a result of a natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition in any State or possession of the United States, the President determines that--

(i) domestic violence has occurred to such an extent that the constituted authorities of the State or possession are incapable of maintaining public order; and

(ii) such violence results in a condition described in paragraph (2); or

(B) suppress, in a State, any insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy if such insurrection, violation, combination, or conspiracy results in a condition described in paragraph (2).

(2) A condition described in this paragraph is a condition that--

(A) so hinders the execution of the laws of a State or possession, as applicable, and of the United States within that State or possession, that any part or class of its people is deprived of a right, privilege, immunity, or protection named in the Constitution and secured by law, and the constituted authorities of that State or possession are unable, fail, or refuse to protect that right, privilege, or immunity, or to give that protection; or

(B) opposes or obstructs the execution of the laws of the United States or impedes the course of justice under those laws.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Posse Comitatus does not apply in a invasion or direct attack on the US.
That includes a bio attack.

There is no need to revoke Posse Comitatus in those cases

its always been that way since Posse Comitatus was first enacted.

Under 18 U.S.C. § 831, the Attorney General may request that the Secretary of Defense provide emergency assistance if civilian law enforcement is inadequate to address certain types of threats involving the release of nuclear materials, such as potential use of a nuclear or radiological weapon. Such assistance may be by any personnel under the authority of the Department of Defense, provided such assistance does not adversely affect U.S. military preparedness.

en.wikipedia.org...

What does not come under the Posse Comitatus comes under the Insurrection Act of 1807

(1) The President may employ the armed forces, including the National Guard in Federal service, to--

(A) restore public order and enforce the laws of the United States when, as a result of a natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition in any State or possession of the United States, the President determines that--

(i) domestic violence has occurred to such an extent that the constituted authorities of the State or possession are incapable of maintaining public order; and

(ii) such violence results in a condition described in paragraph (2); or

(B) suppress, in a State, any insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy if such insurrection, violation, combination, or conspiracy results in a condition described in paragraph (2).

(2) A condition described in this paragraph is a condition that--

(A) so hinders the execution of the laws of a State or possession, as applicable, and of the United States within that State or possession, that any part or class of its people is deprived of a right, privilege, immunity, or protection named in the Constitution and secured by law, and the constituted authorities of that State or possession are unable, fail, or refuse to protect that right, privilege, or immunity, or to give that protection; or

(B) opposes or obstructs the execution of the laws of the United States or impedes the course of justice under those laws.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Posse Comitatus is still in effect and is still law. It recently celebrated it's 132nd bday!

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

The Insurrection Act can only be acted upon domestically if an enemy is within our borders.
edit on 18-10-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Section (1) subsection (B) in the above bill is the part to watch. Consider the "Ludlow Massacre", miners in Colorado went on strike, they sent in the gaurd, men, women, children gone.
I live not far from this site and, when I went there my father told me why the posse comitatus was important.If you have never heard of it let me include some links so you can see it.en.wikipedia.org...www.santafetrailscenicandhistoricbyway.org...www.pbs.org...

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Playto76
reply to post by ANNED

Section (1) subsection (B) in the above bill is the part to watch. Consider the "Ludlow Massacre", miners in Colorado went on strike, they sent in the gaurd, men, women, children gone.
I live not far from this site and, when I went there my father told me why the posse comitatus was important.If you have never heard of it let me include some links so you can see it.en.wikipedia.org...www.santafetrailscenicandhistoricbyway.org...www.pbs.org...

Ummm. Nope. [emphasis added]

As strike-related violence mounted, Colorado governor Elias M. Ammons called in the Colorado National Guard on October 28.

Colorado's governor sent in the guard, not the federal government. That's not to say a situation like this could not lead to federal involvement but this one didn't.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Just an example of what happens when you take troops and use them against people, thus the need for posse comitatus.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Playto76
reply to post by abecedarian

Just an example of what happens when you take troops and use them against people, thus the need for posse comitatus.

Okay, but that could've happened were the sheriff sent in too.
But on the other side of the coin sending troops in can have a positive result as well.
I suppose it depends on the motives behind the use of troops, eh?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

The Insurrection Act can only be acted upon domestically if an enemy is within our borders.

So they just call you a terrorist and invoke the act.

I remember the talk of this here at ATS back a long time ago and it was when Bush was Prez not Obama and anyone speaking against it was asked, "Why do you hate America?". We were told it had to be done to protect us by the wrapped in the flag, "God Bless America " regime.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Pose deals with turning the military inward while Insurrection deals with foreign troops actively engaging targets domestically.

top topics

join