It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40 Seattle cops arrest woman for sitting down, opening umbrella

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

About 40 police officers were needed to arrest a single woman who sat down and opened an umbrella in a Seattle park this morning, according to local media.

Amid the ongoing “Occupy Seattle” protest, city officials decided to ban sitting down with umbrellas in public spaces, ostensibly because they become “makeshift structures,” which are forbidden.

I think these actions by the police and TPTB only fuel the protestors to rebel. It's like pouring gasoline on a lit match, it will only blow up in your face.

And this is all "illegal" because they decided to ban umbrella's in public spaces.

Let's check the list, we have:

Being ticketed 140$ for honking your horn: CHECK
Being arrested for sitting down with umbrellas in public spaces: CHECK
Being arrested for giving apples to the homeless: CHECK

(Source)
edit on 17-10-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-10-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Amid the ongoing “Occupy Seattle” protest, city officials decided to ban sitting down with umbrellas in public spaces, ostensibly because they become “makeshift structures,” which are forbidden.

As someone who has lived near Seattle most of my life may I just say WTF. You don't ban umbrellas here... It's like banning sunglasses in Arizona...

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

As someone who has lived near Seattle most of my life may I just say WTF. You don't ban umbrellas here... It's like banning sunglasses in Arizona...

I hear they're goin' to ban joker cats...

Kidding. No but seriously, I'm building a list of rediculous laws they are creating on the fly and may just post a master list pretty soon.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
we dont know what happened at the beginning, we see the aftermath, and the people were getting up in the LEO's faces, and apparently the cameraman grabbed the LEO's bike, which is why he was pushed away

All you OWS people, youre making this worse on yourself, dont you realize that???
Things like this make you all look as bad as youre portraying the LEO's to be

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
40 cops? was she superhuman?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
So are they going to ban sitting with a hat on next since that could be considered a structure?

Seriously people need to stop rolling over, if you don't fight back you're only inviting them to continue with their rampant interpretation of law.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I hear they're goin' to ban joker cats...

With all the impromptu laws going into effect lately I wouldn't even be surprised. Better not wear a raincoat in Seattle either, if you put the bottom over your knees it's a structure. Good find by the way.

link   
reply to post by SilentNoise

Yeah thats right, fight back, make bad things WORSE

link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
we dont know what happened at the beginning, we see the aftermath, and the people were getting up in the LEO's faces, and apparently the cameraman grabbed the LEO's bike, which is why he was pushed away

All you OWS people, youre making this worse on yourself, dont you realize that???
Things like this make you all look as bad as youre portraying the LEO's to be

It doesn't really what happened in the beginning. Seattle is banning sitting down with umbrellas. That's the ridiculous part. Like the poster above me said, but in my own way..

That's like banning mosquito repellent in Louisiana.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
All this is leading to some cops getting their butts kicked at some point. They are going to push/abuse one person too many, or arrest one person too many, and the protesters will fight back violently. Could have seen it in SF last night. The cops are playing with fire.

Much like prison guards with inmates, you need to have some respect for the other side, because you're greatly outnumbered if the other side decides to collectively revolt, which we are not too far away from seeing.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Watch 2:00 - 2:15, seems like an odd place for the officer to make contact with her body to push her back.

Willoughby loves the spotlight. You can see him just oozing with some sick joy as he blocks the camera. You can watch it fade as he realizes he's not intimidating the cameraman.

On the other hand the young officer standing on the right side of the screen for the first minutes or so seems very uncomfortable.. How long do you have to be a cop and deal with stuff like this before you stop seeing it as Young Officer and start seeing it as Officer Tad Willoughby does?

edit on 17-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Nothing like folks hinting towards resistance to LEO's..

Sure get those peaceful protestors riled up.. get them in a frenzy, while sitting comfortably in your home and relying on an article sourced from some blog..

slog.thestranger.com...

:shk:

I am just happy that those protesting across the country haven't taken the bait that is rampant on the internet..

Kudos to the OWS folks, while I still don't know what you are protesting against, I fully support your right to peacefully assemble and protest.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
All this is leading to some cops getting their butts kicked at some point. They are going to push/abuse one person too many, or arrest one person too many, and the protesters will fight back violently. Could have seen it in SF last night. The cops are playing with fire.

Much like prison guards with inmates, you need to have some respect for the other side, because you're greatly outnumbered if the other side decides to collectively revolt, which we are not too far away from seeing.

Very well stated. It seems that cops are choosing to be feared rather than respected. They clearly have little respect for their employers. They don't seem to grasp the FACT that they are seriosly outnumbered and outgunned. If things get to the point of no return, it will be too late to close the Pandora's box they seem hell bent on opening.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Mod the op blatently lied in his post or twisted it to fit an agenda, what's up with letting that stand?

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
And this is all "illegal" because they decided to ban umbrella's in public spaces.

There is a lot of confusion about what is going on at Westlake right now as some structures have been taken down by the police. From the Occupy Seattle Police Spokeswoman:
In Westlake Park no sleeping structures are allowed (our information/food/medical tent is!) and sleeping under the awnings is not allowed. You cannot have tarps tied down to anything, but you can have them covering yourself. You can have umbrellas but someone must be holding them at all times, if left unattended they are considered to be structures. Blankets and sleeping bags are okay! We are not being kicked out of the park at this time.

blog.seattlepi.com...

Where does it say they are banning umbrellas in public spaces?
edit on 17-10-2011 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Banning umbrellas in Seattle: priceless.

I have mad respect for these people, who are all proving that Americans are not doing nothing, or lapping up everything we are handed by media and politicians.

We have always thought for ourselves, believed in the system as long as we were able, and tried to keep ourselves straight even when others around us do not.

That is the way most of us were raised, to respect, to patiently persevere and build our lives and legacies.

But we can't even pretend to have that illusion about our country at this point. Too many have been made to suffer, been screwed by the system, and worse. We will never want that idealism back again.

It is too dangerous.

Better to realize that we don't need as much as we might be told we do. We might not be taking handouts as much as certain special interests like to claim.

We are not lazy, we are not stupid, and we are not apathetic. Some, of course, that is their right or choice, but still, that automatically means it is not across the board.

The ones out on the street during whatever time they can spare are doing it for the ones who cannot or will not, or who don't care or don't get it.

That's okay, we will still do what we can, knowing any benefits would benefit the most possible people, or won't matter to us. We are glad to do it. It seems to be a sacrifice we can make for our country and our fellow humans.

At least that is what my group is about.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I am trying to imagine this in court. Judge: what did this lady do?
Cop : Sir , she opened an umbrella.
Judge : an umbrella?
Cop : Yes! , In the park !
Judge : I see , then what?
Cop : she sat there .
Judge : with an umbrella?
Cop : Yes! In the park!
Cop : You see we made umbrellas illegal .

Well something like this anyway.............

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2
I am trying to imagine this in court. Judge: what did this lady do?
Cop : Sir , she opened an umbrella.
Judge : an umbrella?
Cop : Yes! , In the park !
Judge : I see , then what?
Cop : she sat there .
Judge : with an umbrella?
Cop : Yes! In the park!
Cop : You see we made umbrellas illegal .

Well something like this anyway.............

And then the judge quits and goes to work for Monsanto.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

IMO, He didn't lie, he based his thoughts on the source..

FYI, since I am in the thread, consider me a member as I cannot Mod in a thread where I participate,

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Some of us who are good at it are spending a lot of time putting out those fires, and confronting people on their hate towards the protesters.

My stance is simple. If someone praises the cops for kicking some person around, I make sure they realize they are accepting the same treatment for themselves, their kids, families, friends, wives, husbands, moms, and dads.

No mercy will always come back on you if it is the needed thing and refused at the time it is needed or appropriate. Life is funny like that.

Usually it is based on such shallow insults and a clear lack of research or even a regard for the truth at all, it's pretty easy to see them discredit themselves.

edit on 17-10-2011 by Copperflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

He may not of lied but he twisted it badly to fit an agenda

from the source.

equals

YES

FYI, since I am in the thread, consider me a member as I cannot Mod in a thread where I participate,

fair play makes sense

top topics

<<   2 >>

join