It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall Street park cleaning postponed, averts showdown

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Occupy Wall Street park cleaning postponed, averts showdown

edition.cnn.com

New York (CNN) -- A cleaning planned for the Manhattan park where "Occupy Wall Street" protesters have camped out for weeks has been postponed, a move that averts a showdown between demonstrators and police.

The New York mayor's office said Brookfield Properties, the owners of Zuccotti Park, told the city late Thursday the scheduled cleaning is off for now and "for the time being" they are "withdrawing their request" made earlier in the week for police assistance during the cleaning operation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT/UPDATE:

9:23

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

9:16

9:15

8:57

8:36

8:17

8:11

8:09

8:09AM

8:03AM

8:02AM

These photos are from NYDailyNews giving live updates through photos....Looks like its going to be a long day after all......
edit on 14-10-2011 by WeBrooklyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Eviction was scheduled for 6am today and cleanup was to start at 7am. The protestors had no intention on leaving and vowed to keep their spot. They had a pretty big march last night to City Hall to give a petition to stay and clean themselves. OWS were calling on everyone that everyone knew to come down to the park by 6am today, show support, and help stop the eviction from Mayor Bloomberg and Brookfield Properties. They started a major cleanup yesterday with alot of cleaning supplies donated after the first announcement from Bloombergs visit was announced.

This came from Brookfield Properties, not Bloomberg. This is interesting imo, Bloomberg pops up unexpectedly to OWS, gives them less than 48 hours for it to be cancelled anyway. Im sure OWS is very relieved as some thought this could have turned into a violent situation.

Here's the video from OWS announcing the news around 6:30AM today

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Why do you guys think this was cancelled?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
i dont think they want too look like they caused the 'showdown'
seems to me that most things the police have been doing is trying to start a showdown, they just want the protesters to make the first move
and if they have gone in knowing that people arent going to leave it could look like they caused it..
i hope the protesters never move!
the longer they stay the more people that wake up.

edit on 14-10-2011 by ShortMemory because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Thanks for the update, it's only 8am right now so it took me 2 hours to find out what went down.

I would have to say the reason they postponed it was obvious. It was going to turn into a extremely ugly event.

It would be nothing more than a grand show of police brutality and aggression.

The public relations folks are behind this: "Let's hold off a bit, our threats didn't work and they are going to make this impossible and it will create an intense media frenzy and make us all look really bad, possibly causing far more unrest than we are dealing with currently."

Like said earlier, this is a chess game. They realized if they move their Knight this direction, our Bishop will have an easy kill. Just watch out because the ball is in their court and it's their move now. Be wary of what tactic they choose to take later today or tomorrow.

We will have to keep following this to see where it goes.
Keep the news coming! Thanks for posting the updates!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ShortMemory

I hope they stand their ground too.

But I also have higher hopes and aspirations.

I would love to see people protesting everywhere in all major cities.
At all the Fed banks, at the White House, at the UN Hq, at the corporate Hq offices, etc!

One thing I can't stand is arrogant authoritarians, and they are in control of everything these days.

I say give em all hell!

edit on 14-10-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

i dont think they want too look like they caused the 'showdown' seems to me that most things the police have been doing is trying to start a showdown, they just want the protesters to make the first move and if they have gone in knowing that people arent going to leave it could look like they caused it.. i hope the protesters never move! the longer they stay the more people that wake up.

Was wondering last night what the conversation must have been like between Bloomberg, Kelly and Bloomfield. They must have realized those tactics werent going to work here. It could have turned very ugly and judging the way they handled things last time, they probably knew they were in over their heads. For 700 arrests last time, they have everyone scattered at different precincts because there wasnt enough room. Imagine twice that amount in a matter of hours

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

i think it will take a lot to make them back down now, and even if they do have to leave its only going to make more people NEED change..anything they do to stop this will only prove us right and help our cause..this is probably only the first battle in what may be a long war.
well its almost everywhere in the us now, and thats perfect. when its on peoples doorsteps they will think about it more. but yeah it would be great to have them almost everywhere..cant have the police everywhere at once so spreading our numbers would help a lot
its about time we stood up for ourself, nothing ever stays the same for too long and its obvious modern society has evolved to the 'tipping' point of social change
viva la revolution!

reply to post by WeBrooklyn

haha id love to of heard that converstation, i think they may be realising that their plans arent going to go the way they wanted. they forgot one thing, to read history. the people will always fight for their rights when the time is right..and lets just say the time is long long overdue
i think the first real battle of ows will only be a small part of the war, and your right even that could of turned ugly. but any expected reaction of authority is only going to encourage us more.
viva la revolution!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeBrooklyn

Was wondering last night what the conversation must have been like between Bloomberg, Kelly and Bloomfield. They must have realized those tactics werent going to work here. It could have turned very ugly and judging the way they handled things last time, they probably knew they were in over their heads. For 700 arrests last time, they have everyone scattered at different precincts because there wasnt enough room. Imagine twice that amount in a matter of hours

Correct. They simply cannot handle much more trouble logistically speaking. They are stretched too thin as it is already.

In order to handle a larger scenario, of say 5,000-10,000 arrests, they would have to implement a quasi-martial law strategy. This would look VERY bad for them at this point in time, a very foolish mistake indeed.

Mass arrests are something that happens in totalitarianism-despotism, because there is almost never any legitimate reason to arrest that many people at once since everyone is different and not all of them could be possibly committing legitimate crimes etc.

In a Free Society there are very few arrests, as that would be reserved for actual criminals like murderers, rapists, and thieves, etc.

Point is, we live in the Twilight Zone in between outright total tyranny, and the oasis of freedom. We are imprisoned mainly through propaganda and lies, our minds are shackled and our bodies act accordingly. It's a pseudo-Republic, a pseudo-Democracy, it may look like one on the surface but with simple investigation it is revealed as being out of step with it's own principals.

In order to be Free we must unshackle our minds, and free ourselves from the lies.
It's all in our heads. We have to free our minds.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Civil disobedience is the active, professed refusal to obey certain laws, demands, and commands of a government, or of an occupying international power. Civil disobedience is commonly, though not always,[1][2] defined as being nonviolent resistance. It is one form of civil resistance. In one view (in India, known as ahimsa or satyagraha) it could be said that it is compassion in the form of respectful disagreement. One of its earliest massive implementations was brought about by Egyptians against the British occupation in the 1919 Revolution.[3] Civil disobedience is one of the many ways people have rebelled against what they deem to be unfair laws.

Please people study this stuff: civil disobediance wiki

Civil disobedience isn't a crime! It's True patriotism! It's what Freedom is all about.

Read these links folks.
Who is the enemy? I will show you who it really is.

Totalitarianism

Totalitarianism (or totalitarian rule) is a political system where the state recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible.[1] Totalitarian regimes stay in political power through an all-encompassing propaganda disseminated through the state-controlled mass media, a single party that is often marked by personality cultism, control over the economy, regulation and restriction of speech, mass surveillance, and widespread use of terror.

Spraying people or beating them up in the street (as police authority) spreads terror in the civilians, it causes them to FEAR protesting because they will be brutalized. It's straight up politically driven terrorism by it's very definition. State-funded terror at that...

Despotism

Despotism is a form of government in which a single entity rules with absolute power. That entity may be an individual, as in an autocracy, or it may be a group, as in an oligarchy.

Autocracy

An autocracy is a form of government in which one person possesses unlimited power.

Oligarchy

Oligarchy (from Greek ὀλιγαρχία, oligarkhía[1]) is a form of power structure in which power effectively rests with a small number of people. These people could be distinguished by royalty, wealth, family ties, corporate, or military control.

Authoritarianism

Authoritarianism is a form of social organization characterized by submission to authority. It is usually opposed to individualism and democracy.

You know what "Libertarian" actually means?
Liberty=Freedom
Arian = Advocate of.

"Anarchy"?
An = against
Archy = rule

That's why I am a Libertarian Anarchist, because I am an advocate of freedom and I am also against being ruled by others.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Thank goodness it has been postponed for now. I was kinda worried coming on here and members posting footage of major violence over in New York. I have a feeling this might be a ploy to, wait until there are less people there. Then Act, this has not stopped the NYPD from harassing the protestors there. Or Independent Journalists. But thank goodness the owners have withdrawn their request.

I am wondering could the Mayor just go ahead with it without the request?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Civil disobedience is the active, professed refusal to obey certain laws, demands, and commands of a government, or of an occupying international power. Civil disobedience is commonly, though not always,[1][2] defined as being nonviolent resistance. It is one form of civil resistance. In one view (in India, known as ahimsa or satyagraha) it could be said that it is compassion in the form of respectful disagreement. One of its earliest massive implementations was brought about by Egyptians against the British occupation in the 1919 Revolution.[3] Civil disobedience is one of the many ways people have rebelled against what they deem to be unfair laws. Please people study this stuff: civil disobediance wiki Civil disobedience isn't a crime! It's True patriotism! It's what Freedom is all about. Read these links folks. Who is the enemy? I will show you who it really is. Totalitarianism Totalitarianism (or totalitarian rule) is a political system where the state recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible.[1] Totalitarian regimes stay in political power through an all-encompassing propaganda disseminated through the state-controlled mass media, a single party that is often marked by personality cultism, control over the economy, regulation and restriction of speech, mass surveillance, and widespread use of terror. Spraying people or beating them up in the street (as police authority) spreads terror in the civilians, it causes them to FEAR protesting because they will be brutalized. It's straight up politically driven terrorism by it's very definition. State-funded terror at that... Despotism Despotism is a form of government in which a single entity rules with absolute power. That entity may be an individual, as in an autocracy, or it may be a group, as in an oligarchy. Autocracy An autocracy is a form of government in which one person possesses unlimited power. Oligarchy Oligarchy (from Greek ὀλιγαρχία, oligarkhía[1]) is a form of power structure in which power effectively rests with a small number of people. These people could be distinguished by royalty, wealth, family ties, corporate, or military control. Authoritarianism Authoritarianism is a form of social organization characterized by submission to authority. It is usually opposed to individualism and democracy. You know what "Libertarian" actually means? Liberty=Freedom Arian = Advocate of. "Anarchy"? An = against Archy = rule That's why I am a Libertarian Anarchist, because I am an advocate of freedom and I am also against being ruled by others.
reply to post by muzzleflash

Thanks for that. It would clarify for some people whop dont understand.

I listen to the police scanners often for nyc, way before OWS took place. At times it seems they are so backed up and understaffed. Example, last night, Im listening for things going on in Bklyn and the activity was non stop. Numerous cops were being called over and over while they are on a task and by the time they were done with that ONE task, had minimum of 5 other tasks behind it. One being unconcious, one being robbed, etc. Without the protest, there are enough things happening in the boroughs of nyc that seem to be too much for nypd to handle at times. They made a good call this time.

But I also wonder...I know Bloomberg popped up after the letter from Brookfield to Ray Kelly was sent out. When I first heard the eviction was going to be today, I thought because it's Friday, makes sense! Wall street will be closed for the weekend, so they can evict and arrest, cause mayhem over the wkend and try to have things normal by Monday....Glad to see this isnt so much a possibilty anymore but now im seeing tweets that cops are armed in riot gear by Broadway so I'm going to look into that more now and catch some live feed.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

i think it will take a lot to make them back down now, and even if they do have to leave its only going to make more people NEED change..anything they do to stop this will only prove us right and help our cause..this is probably only the first battle in what may be a long war. well its almost everywhere in the us now, and thats perfect. when its on peoples doorsteps they will think about it more. but yeah it would be great to have them almost everywhere..cant have the police everywhere at once so spreading our numbers would help a lot its about time we stood up for ourself, nothing ever stays the same for too long and its obvious modern society has evolved to the 'tipping' point of social change viva la revolution!

I do believe it is going to get worse. Look at Occupy Denver, cops were tearing down tents and literally shutting things down. To me it seems the Mayors in some cities in under a month are really getting fed up with this movement and starting to give eviction deadlines.

Revolution is great but its how you go about it...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

You know it is completely shocking to outsiders, when the US Government Officials go on the TV and condemn other Governments around the world for doing the exact same thing the Police are doing in other occupied places in the US. Just shows, the double standards there is.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Thank goodness it has been postponed for now. I was kinda worried coming on here and members posting footage of major violence over in New York. I have a feeling this might be a ploy to, wait until there are less people there. Then Act, this has not stopped the NYPD from harassing the protestors there. Or Independent Journalists. But thank goodness the owners have withdrawn their request. I am wondering could the Mayor just go ahead with it without the request?
reply to post by AnonymousFem

Thats a good question, didnt think of that.

Bloomberg likes to be in charge. We all know he wants them out just as bad as the owners of the park. Bloomberg wishes this can go away with the snap of a finger and now that you brought this up has me again thinking that this was played out this way so they can start "enforcing" once Wall Street Employees leave for the weekend.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem

You know it is completely shocking to outsiders, when the US Government Officials go on the TV and condemn other Governments around the world for doing the exact same thing the Police are doing in other occupied places in the US. Just shows, the double standards there is.

Because they believe themselves to be the ultimate authority on Earth.

It's the pinnacle of arrogance.

Trust me the general American public does not agree with it either! We want Justice!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

reply to post by AnonymousFem

And its just another way now for people to see whats going on. Can you believe there are still people in nyc that dont know about ows? They know about Egypt, Syria, Libya, but not Lower Manhatten. I just told a friend this morning, and her kids go to school not too far from OWS camp.

Our Gvt have been hypocrites since it first formed.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Well I just have had reports that the Mayor has now cut the Power at Levis square. Is this a ploy to start to force protestors out. If it is I certainly hope it backfires on the Mayor. And this is from someone who is there.

Also don't get me wrong the Co-operate controlled Sky news is not showing footage of the Occupied Protests either. Just shows Both Governments in the US and the UK does not want this shown at all.
edit on 14-10-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I have heard of many different reason for OWS through the news outlets. I recently recieved the following in an email and wonder if this is what it is all about--your thoughts

Currently...
The people who are getting the free stuff don't like the people who are paying for the free stuff, because the people who are paying for the free stuff can no longer afford to pay for both the free stuff and their own stuff. Therefore, the people who are paying for the free stuff want the free stuff to stop, while the people who are getting the free stuff want even more free stuff on top of the free stuff they are already getting!

In the meantime, the people who are forcing some people to PAY for the free stuff are telling the people who are RECEIVING the free stuff that the people who are PAYING for the free stuff are being mean, prejudiced, and racist. That's right---the people who are GETTING the free stuff are being told they need to HATE the people who are paying for the free stuff by the same people who are forcing some people to pay for other people's free stuff in the first place!

FACT: ALL great democracies have committed financial suicide somewhere between 200 and 250 years after being founded. The reason? .... the voters figured out they could vote themselves money from the Treasury by electing people who promised to give them money from the Treasury in exchange for electing them.

The United States officially became a Republic in 1776, 231 years ago.

Today, the number of people getting free stuff outnumbers the people paying for the free stuff!

Folks, we have one chance to change this in 2012. Failure to do so spells the end of the United States as we know it.

ELECTION 2012 IS COMING .... Let’s Take a Stand!!!

Borders: Closed!
Language: English only
Culture: Constitution and the Bill of Rights!
Drug Free: Mandatory Drug Screening before Welfare!
NO freebies to: Non-Citizens!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
i know the tea party was hijacked and all and most say this will as well but its inspiring just to see a a movment be born and then to see it headline storie on the 6 clock news last night

i dont know i guess it just gave me hope for america

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeBrooklyn

i think it will take a lot to make them back down now, and even if they do have to leave its only going to make more people NEED change..anything they do to stop this will only prove us right and help our cause..this is probably only the first battle in what may be a long war. well its almost everywhere in the us now, and thats perfect. when its on peoples doorsteps they will think about it more. but yeah it would be great to have them almost everywhere..cant have the police everywhere at once so spreading our numbers would help a lot its about time we stood up for ourself, nothing ever stays the same for too long and its obvious modern society has evolved to the 'tipping' point of social change viva la revolution!

I do believe it is going to get worse. Look at Occupy Denver, cops were tearing down tents and literally shutting things down. To me it seems the Mayors in some cities in under a month are really getting fed up with this movement and starting to give eviction deadlines.

Revolution is great but its how you go about it....

it will certianly come to a point where people either fight or shut up..lets hope by that stage enough people are aware of the issues that we have the numbers to keep the cause alive.
i dont think it will end by their move tho, we wont stop fighting..and if we do were better off dead because they will continue to screw the world
i couldnt imagine how stressed the mayors are, but oh well they dont have the right to say what people do and dont.
if history has shown us anything, its that change is a hard and bloody thing to accomplish
im against violence, but if they are bringing guns to the fight you cant expect to bring words and win.
its a conundrum thats for sure

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join