It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian and US Scientists Gather to Hunt Down Yeti

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Other countries invited to this expedition include Canada, Sweden, Estonia, Mongolia and China. The article mentions that this is the first time since 1958 that an expedition of this type has happened in that particular region.

www.foxnews.com

Scientists from several countries, including Russia and the U.S., will gather in the Kemerova region of Siberia to hunt down the Yeti, after alleged sightings of the legendary creatures increased threefold in the area over the past 20 years.

Let's hope that they are successful in their quest

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Lets hope they don't find it, they will only lock it away or kill it!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Nice! Now that's what's called - getting serious about putting a conspiracy theory to bed once and for all.

We need to do the same for Bigfoot, Chupachabras, ghosts, Gray alien UFO's, sodium fluoridation of our water, aspartame, your vote really counts, and finally putting Nancy Leider in the Hoax forum with Billy Meier.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Nice find, also very intresting use of the word "hunt" hopefully if they do come across one they will humainley capture the animal instead of killing it.

*"hunt" to me implies rifles at the ready.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen
Nice find, also very intresting use of the word "hunt" hopefully if they do come across one they will humainley capture the animal instead of killing it.

*"hunt" to me implies rifles at the ready.

That's what it sounds like to me also
Maybe they'll have a few tranquilizer guns ready at hand instead.

Hopefully they have a good sturdy cage to place this creature in or else its gonna end up turning in one of those "monster gets loose" in a big city movie. Yikes !

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Best of luck to them and everything but, this sounds a lot like one of those shows that starts by promising answers to mysterious questions and then ends with, "well, we may never know...but, there are many more questions to be answered."

I hate that

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by blackmetalmist

I pulled the thread title from the source headline, probably a bad choice of words..

I wouldn't think that they are seeking to harm a Yeti, just trying to gather more evidence of their existence..

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
haha dont make me laugh, Yetis are far too clever to let a human capture them

What tracking experience do scientists have anyway i wonder?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Igor Burtsev, who heads the Moscow-based International Center of Hominology, said, "When Homo sapiens started populating the world, it viciously exterminated its closest relative in the hominid family, Homo neanderthalensis. Some of the Neanderthals, however, may have survived to this day in some mountainous wooded habitats that are more or less off limits to their arch foes." Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Interesting that this Igor Burtsev believes yetis are neanderthal. In any case, the scientists now have access to much more sophisticated technology than they did the last time. I'm sure if there is an intelligent, coordinated effort, things will be discovered.
I hope they succeed, I want to know everything there is to know about these creatures.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

obsessed
past participle, past tense of ob·sess (Verb)

1. Preoccupy or fill the mind of (someone) continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent: "he was obsessed with thoughts of Yetis".

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dionisius
reply to post by trollz

obsessed
past participle, past tense of ob·sess (Verb)

1. Preoccupy or fill the mind of (someone) continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent: "he was obsessed with thoughts of Yetis".

I'm aware of what the word "obsessed" means and I used it intentionally.
You've made no point.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

reply to post by michaelmcclen

Yes cause locking it up for our own satisfaction is the humane thing to do.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
hi op

wow
if this true or not

imagine what we could learn from it
missing links
theorys and hypothesis corrected
if there is 1 there is more

alas the poor bugger will be killed or driven underground way before we can study

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Fluoridation is already documented, check with your local water treatment plant, that is what I did.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

There's a reason as to why we haven't established contact with these creatures.....because they primarily don't want to and/or have anything to do with us.

Because in looking at what happened to their former neighbors, the Native Americans, they know that if they do.

We'll eventually enslave them and want to start taxing them and forcing them to have a job in which to pay their taxes to merely exist like the rest of us serfs !!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dionisius
haha dont make me laugh, Yetis are far too clever to let a human capture them

What tracking experience do scientists have anyway i wonder?

I'm guessing they will take some experienced hikers. I also do wonder if maybe the reason they are picking the Siberian region is because of the terrain ? (besides that there has been more sightings in that region) I'm not sure if its a tundra region but I guess it's easier to spot a Yeti in the snow where there is not much trees as opposed to looking for Bigfoot in a mountainous regions where there is lots of caves, foilage, trees, bushes. I.E. more landscape and nooks and crannies where he can hide.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Who are the 'scientists' linked to this expedition? I see the word scientist repeated in that article 5 times, yet no names are given. Any biologist or geneticist would tell you not to waste your time looking for these myths. The population numbers cited would constitute an extreme bottleneck, such a catastophe for a species would almost certainly drive them to extinction, if indeed they ever existed at all.

The findings have been published online in the journal Biological Conservation. "Conservation biologists routinely underestimate or ignore the number of animals or plants required to prevent extinction," says lead author Dr Lochran Traill, from the University of Adelaide's Environment Institute. "Often, they aim to maintain tens or hundreds of individuals, when thousands are actually needed. Our review found that populations smaller than about 5000 had unacceptably high extinction rates. This suggests that many targets for conservation recovery are simply too small to do much good in the long run."

That is taken from a study into the kind of populations needed to sustain a species, and it would be the same principal for any large ape like creature. Do you believe there are populations of these things out there in the 5000+ range needed for them to avoid extinction? 5000 giant apes going undetected all these years, living alongside man for as long as we have been on the planet, but never once captured or hunted, no real references to them in our oral or writen history..... Its just too much a stretch of the imagination for me to believe that.
edit on 4-10-2011 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I think they might find'em this time because of the amount of technology they will have at their disposal. I personally believe they exist but either have evolved snow "camo" to a point where it's impossible to see them or they are nocturnal. It could very well be both actually, Neanderthals supposedly have larger eye's for night vision so maybe that's how they survived. I have talked to a family that have sworn on everything they love that Bigfoot is real and that they have seen him while hunting in the Idaho/Washington Forest.

I know it sounds far fetched but it also makes logical sense that if a species of Ape/Man was adapted to hunt at night millions of years ago than maybe for survival over time they Evolved to be a Cave dwelling Species that hunts at night.

I could see why it would be hard to track a Possible Top Predator like a Yetti. If the Landscape is Completely white and their coat is Completely white then we'd never see them. Especially if they hunt at night and sleep in Snow Caves during the Day. I wonder If they would need to Hibernate like Bears???????????
edit on 4-10-2011 by NewsWorthy because: typo

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainInstaban

Your post can not be starred enough.
The word - "humane", pisses me off.
The fact that we believe injecting an animal with tranquiliser, capturing it and leaving it in a cage for thousands to look at in a zoo until it dies is "humane" is idiotic in the extreme.
What ever happened to respect for nature and all living creatures. (hangs head in shame)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The footprint in the article is actually a track made by a yak or other four legged animal with hoofs.

Consider that the dark circular area is a hoof print and the rest is where the animal has raised it's leg and swiped the snow.

That said,I believe yeti are out there and there is better photographic evidence to support this.
edit on 10/4/2011 by dezertdog because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join