It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making Profit Off Of Holidays Early Should Be A Crime

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
So yes I'm well aware of the fact that as the years go by, retailers begin earlier and earlier with selling holiday related products.

I already thought it was ridiculous and should be a crime that retailers sell Christmas stuff in the beginning of October (evil EVIL irony
)

But I saw this article today, and if you think that Christmas in October is an abomination, then read this:

Retailers Starting The Holidays Early

Excuse my language but-------REALLY?!

Christmas in September?! IN AUGUST?! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU GREEDY BASTARDAGLAHBLAGHZKDFJ

Anyways, I say that we all start petitioning that companies should not be allowed to advertise for holidays early.
Halloween sales no earlier than late September
Christmas no earlier than late November.
PERIOD.

Oh wait, I forgot! It doesn't matter whether we protest or petition because the big businesses and the lawmakers are the same people.
edit on 12-9-2011 by evil12day because: wrong smiley

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Look, the whole problem is our consumer mentality. I no longer buy Christmas gifts for anybody except my 2 children. However, I have already started talking to them about it. They are both young, but very smart.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
most stores buying departments are ordering next years xmas stocks already and so there comes a point where the stuffs delivered from the suppliers about now so they aint going to let the stock sit in a store room for a few months and run the risk that some other store puts out their xmas stock a week before them and perhaps loses a small ammount of money

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by evil12day

A crime??? For providing the supply for a demand???

If you don't like it...don't buy stuff early. Some people do like to buy things early...who are you to tell them it is a crime to do so?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Well they wouldn`t be selling that stuff if people were not buying it. Besides I don`t care what they sell as long as they got what I need.

Oh and Merry Christmas by the way.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Perhaps if people weren't out shopping for and slopping up that crap it wouldn't be so in the first place. (?)

Of course retailers are going to attempt to reel in as much as possible as soon as possible, but that doesn't mean joe q. public needs to get in line and pony up to pad their profits.

The problem isn't so much with the manufacturers and retailers but more so with the overall populace itself.

buy. buy. buy .. gots to keep up with them thar joneses

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
ITT: it should be a crime to plan ahead.

While I find it absurd, I could care less and we need fewer laws, not more.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
But I like my orange creme filled Oreo's and chocolate Santa's how dare you want to take those away from me early. That being said it is getting a little bit old to see Christmas trees on sale in July, but I still like my Oreo's no man comes between me and my cookies nom nom nom nom.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I wouldn't say it's supply and demand.

That's like saying that big businesses started putting advertisements before you watch a movie at a theater because we wanted it.

None of us wanted Christmas as early as August, that's complete BS no matter how materialistic a person may be. I have never met a single person who ACTUALLY wanted Christmas shopping this early. And when they did, it was mostly online, due to shipping, not because of "supply and demand".

They're doing this early because they're desperate for money and think that by advertising even earlier what with the economic concerns that it'll convince people to buy more.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
All you people replying saying

Oh but I like my Christmas yummies

or

that's the way it is

etc etc

You DO realize it's because of your thought processes that are giving them convenient excuses to pull this crap right? You're adding to the problem not fixing it.

That fact that none of you can see this is pretty sad.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by evil12day
None of us wanted Christmas as early as August, that's complete BS no matter how materialistic a person may be. I have never met a single person who ACTUALLY wanted Christmas shopping this early. And when they did, it was mostly online, due to shipping, not because of "supply and demand".

They're doing this early because they're desperate for money and think that by advertising even earlier what with the economic concerns that it'll convince people to buy more.

Actually we do want christmas in august, subconciously. In all the Heat and humidity of mid to late summer people grow sick of the sweltering nature of the season and long for the crisp air of fall and the eventual snowfalls of winter and vise-versa come February. It's a psychological ploy, which much like employing the right food smells in a grocery store, works.

You pose that it should be a crime to be making a profit off of early holiday advertising and then proclaim that it is unwanted. If it were wholly unwanted it wouldn't work and there would be no profits to be made.

Just practice your will and ignore it.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Lolwut? Making profit off holidays early is the only economy we got left, least some people still have jobs.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

The earlier the better. Last year I finished my Christmas shopping by the middle of January and typically do. Go in and buy all of that stuff that the retailers over bought and have slashed the prices. Of course they need to slash the prices to clear the shelves for spring and summer stuff, despite the fact that it is below freezing.

During the holidays I won't go near a retail shop. Hate the music loops, hate the phony displays, hate the manufactured cheer.

You don't need to buy into it.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
A crime??? For providing the supply for a demand???

If you don't like it...don't buy stuff early.

It seems simple, doesn't it? If you don't like something, don't do it... Duh!

Unfortunately, there are more and more people (like the OP) who think that if THEY don't like something, it should be outlawed. And then they don't understand when I say they are anti-freedom. :shk:

If people are willing to go out and spend their money, who is the OP to say it should be a crime??? I don't do Christmas. I don't like the commercialization of the holiday. I don't really like holidays. Why is it that I don't think they should be outlawed? Because I believe in freedom. I just don't participate.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
All you people are doing is making excuses for why it's ok

So what if there was a factory that made Santa Hats out of seal puppies, would you say it's ok because it makes jobs?

Because it stimulates the economy?

Basically what you're all saying is this:

"It's ok for greedy business bastards to abuse a holiday to make money off of idiots like ourselves because it makes jobs and gives us what we want whenever we want it. We are pro freedom for feeling this way."
###SNIP###

edit on 12-9-2011 by evil12day because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
We have a saying here that applies to this pretty well: "He who sells isn't stupid, he who buys is."

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by evil12day
All you people are doing is making excuses for why it's ok

Why ISN'T it OK? Explain what's wrong with businesses promoting their products in a free society? Hello?

So what if there was a factory that made Santa Hats out of seal puppies, would you say it's ok because it makes jobs?

No one is killing animals to bring the Christmas spirit early. No need to take it to the extreme... unless, of course, that's the only way to make what you have said make sense.

Basically what you're all saying is this:

"It's ok for greedy business bastards to abuse a holiday to make money off of idiots like ourselves because it makes jobs and gives us what want whenever we want it. We are pro freedom for feeling this way."

I'm not saying that at all. They're not making any money off of me.
And they're not forcing anyone to spend their money. (And how does a holiday get "abused" anyway)?

It IS OK for businesses to do everything they can to attract money... Isn't that what business is about? Some of the 'blame' for this terrible would-be crime has to rest on the people who WILLINGLY reach in their pockets and GIVE their money in exchange for services or goods.

Either you guys are in denial, idiots, or internet trolls.

Ah! I see. Anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot. Gotcha.

Merry Christmas!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Exactly what I was thinking. Hell my mother use to buy christmas gifts year round. the op is just a scrooge.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Making excuses? We don't need to make excuses because we aren't control freaks.

You DO realize it's because of your thought processes that are giving them convenient excuses to pull this crap right? You're adding to the problem not fixing it.

What problem? The only problem I see is someone who needs to relax and stop trying to control what other people do. Seriously, chill. This is not a big deal, much less a criminal one. :shk:

Meh, Christmas shopping used to begin after Thanksgiving. Now, it's after Halloween. Some people like to shop and put a lot of thought into their gifts. Some people can buy 24 presents after 5:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve.

What does it matter? It doesn't..........

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Wow this is just sad

It is REALLY sad to see how many of you are actually ok with this or who just don't care

That you'd live the rest of your lives letting this go on because it's easier that way or because you act like it doesn't matter or it shouldn't

I honestly thought that of all people who would be more apt to positive change would be ATS people but obviously I was wrong.

That or you're all a bunch of depressed saps who want Christmas early as if the shopping is supposed to make your lives better.

Fine. Go ahead. Let this continue to spiral out of control. Then when the day comes that Christmas is year round, and the true meaning of Christmas is long forgotten, and you all finally start caring, I'll be the one having the last laugh.

Why? Because by then, it'll be more than too late. But why waste my breath on you guys? I'm nothing but a scrooge right?

Because scrooge's hate big business abusing holidays for profit. Just like in the story. We should be hated and scorned for thinking this way because obviously it's wrong.

##SNIP##

top topics

<<   2 >>

join