It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 first responders continue to be screwed over

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
www.nj.com...

"It’s a disgrace to my husband, who gave of himself and went through so much inhumane suffering," she said. "And it’s a disgrace for the people who are going through what we went through. These people are still suffering, and they’re losing their homes because of the medical bills." After years of having to justify a need for assistance, it seems certain emergency, transport and cleanup workers still have a fight on their hands. "We’ve ran into ignorance," said John Feal, founder of 9/11 first responders advocacy group the FealGood Foundation. "We’ve ran into politics as usual. "You hope, going forward, we can run into transparency."

Sometimes my country makes me sick.

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread Page):
AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites; please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on 9/7/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

The kind of treatment (or lack of) given to first responders who sacrificed so much has been to me at least. a pretty transparent look in to the motivations and attitudes of many politicians that have gladly used 9/11 for their election campaigns and for good publicity. Very few actually gave a damn enough about the sick responders to try to get them the help they have needed and more than deserve. Yet, even cancer victims are being used as political footballs and aid bills are held up in committees so certain politicians can get their riders and provisions tacked on to the aid bill.
Meanwhile, people like James Zadroga have been unable to work, unable to pay their bills and unable to find treatment for the illnesses induced by working at ground zero. Like so many others Zadroga died still waiting for help to arrive.
Our government can write a blank check to keep a war going but a mere pittance of that amount to help 9/11 responders is something to quibble over?
This is the political legacy of 9/11 - the ignored heroes dying while the politicians enrich themselves by knowing what investments will pay off and taking big $ positions to lobby for security and military contractors.
Some of the worst things to be done to Americans over 9/11 have been done by the hands of Americans who have no scruples and are willing to sell off your health, your future and your freedom for a few dollars more.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
That is how this government is. They preach duty and honor to their citizens and get them to step up for their fellow countrymen and their government. Then when they have outlived their usefulness to the govt then they are cast aside like yesterdays trash and left to rot. It started all the way back in vietnam if not before.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

The kind of treatment (or lack of) given to first responders who sacrificed so much has been to me at least. a pretty transparent look in to the motivations and attitudes of many politicians that have gladly used 9/11 for their election campaigns and for good publicity. Very few actually gave a damn enough about the sick responders to try to get them the help they have needed and more than deserve. Yet, even cancer victims are being used as political footballs and aid bills are held up in committees so certain politicians can get their riders and provisions tacked on to the aid bill.
Meanwhile, people like James Zadroga have been unable to work, unable to pay their bills and unable to find treatment for the illnesses induced by working at ground zero. Like so many others Zadroga died still waiting for help to arrive.
Our government can write a blank check to keep a war going but a mere pittance of that amount to help 9/11 responders is something to quibble over?
This is the political legacy of 9/11 - the ignored heroes dying while the politicians enrich themselves by knowing what investments will pay off and taking big $ positions to lobby for security and military contractors.
Some of the worst things to be done to Americans over 9/11 have been done by the hands of Americans who have no scruples and are willing to sell off your health, your future and your freedom for a few dollars more.
All what you said is true, makes me sick, they can spend billions on war, bailout banks, but will not give these people the help they need and the mainstream media never talks about it.

This is the week this issue needs to be in the spotlight.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
My views may not be popular but I’ll post them anyway.

There is a measure or responsibility that must be put on the responders themselves.

Despite what any government agency told the country.
There is no smoke that is safe for humans.
There is no ‘kicked up’ dust that is safe for humans.
Humans cough and sneeze for a reason.

How could that be a surprise to anyone? After the first couple of days of search and rescue it should have been clear to even the rescuers that they were at greater risk? There comes a point where you have to consider the risks to your own life. It’s not like the media hasn’t shown the risks of breathing in ‘stuff’.

Haven’t you seen enough video of crews removing a small amount of asbestos from a private home?

These first responders were not conscripted by the state or federal government. Most were covered by some sort of insurance. Granted the coverage is likely to be limited as we didn’t have the Obama changes back then. Didn't I hear where the state is putting the children through college because the father died as a result of his exposure?
When did personal responsibility get shifted to the state?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
You cant have all those responders getting treatment and an army of doctors asking embarassing questions as a result.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

Sam, Do you not remember just the week after 9/11 Christine Todd Whitman of the EPA making an announcement that "the air in downtown Manhattan is safe to breathe"?
And what about the people who were exposed on 9/11 itself? I doubt they had warning that the buildings would be turning into dust so go get yourselves a HEPA air mask,
The responders were thinking about trying to find survivors, they weren't even thinking about themselves.
To a degree you're right, but the authorities should have known better from the start and not allowed anyone on site that was not properly equipped.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, I'm sure if they had it to do over again they would wear filter masks but it's too late for that.

The EPA should have never made such a ludicrous claim at the time and even I knew it couldn't possibly be safe and I'm not a scientist. The Bush administration was in a hurry to announce that "America was open for business again" so get out there and do your patriotic duty and go shopping.

I remember that too.

new topics

top topics

join