It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox-Crash

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
has anybody an idea why my firefox crashes ? it doesnt do it very often but its annoying.
i use 3 windows, 1 with an internet radio, 1 with a chat and 1 window with about 2-3 tabs for surfing. is this too much ?
i changed from firefox 3 to firefox 6 but still the same problem.

system: windows vista home premium sp2 64bit, amd athlon 64 x2 5200, 2gb ddr2 ram

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Sometimes it is because firefox is not compatible with the IE geared mess that eats up processors. It could be your version. Mozilla should be the first place you check when you have problems with the browser, since that's where the patches come from.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

It could be a hardware issue. 2Gb of RAM isn't much when using vista. On top of that, every instance of Firefox that you have running will eat up more RAM.

There isn't much you can do beyond buying more RAM or reducing the amount of TSR's(memory resident proggies) you have running.

edit on 6/9/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

Just to add....

I've had major problems in the past with running Firefox on Winblows Vista 32. I switched to Google Chrome and haven't had an issue since.
edit on 6/9/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

i dont use IE, is it running somewhere in the backround ?
when i update the browser, do i have the latest patch ? or is patch and update something different ?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Try updating your latest java/flash. Could be something to do with memory. Personally I rarely have firefox crash with multiple tabs and windows but a few times lately i go to load a youtube video and my computer just lags completely out and only the audio plays(only happened like 3 times) I use intel i3 with 4gb ram windows xp. rarely have problem.

I know with windows vista it uses alot more memory, you might want to upgrade to 4gb. Also you could try a fresh reinstall of firefox
edit on 6-9-2011 by nyancat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
No, I meant like opening up a page that requires Adobe Reader. Adobe works best with IE, but IE is just crappy for security. Flash animation, and most videos are geared more towards IE. So if the compatibility is not 100%, the system may crash.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

yeah, i know. i first had 1 gb ram, that was a real challenge

the main problem with this ram hungry vista system is, it sometimes creates page file on the harddisk and slows extremely down.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by nyancat

Try updating your latest java/flash

can i do this within the browser or should i download the latest versions and just install them ?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

thats what came to my mind, when i read you first post. like, windows vista and IE are "made for each other" and firefox is some kind of unfamiliar.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Really the worst moments with firefox are right after a new update in IE or one of it's compatible sources. For the most part Firefox is chasing IE, although far more secure.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
i just updated java and flash. maybe it helped.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
has anybody an idea why my firefox crashes ? it doesnt do it very often but its annoying.
i use 3 windows, 1 with an internet radio, 1 with a chat and 1 window with about 2-3 tabs for surfing. is this too much ?
i changed from firefox 3 to firefox 6 but still the same problem.

system: windows vista home premium sp2 64bit, amd athlon 64 x2 5200, 2gb ddr2 ram

FireFox is an incredible memory hog and it would seem to have a leak issue. When I really get to working on my web sites, I'm using multiple monitors with several windows open. FF gets as high as 1.5 GIG of memory used where Chrome takes a few hundred k in a similar arrangement. Each version of FF lately seems to make the problem worse, not better. I wish they'd work it out as I love the addons which make FF unique. I'd imagine a system with less memory wouldn't just slow to a crawl but outright crash...I wonder if that isn't what is happening to yours?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
could be memory related. i will try chrome and see if it goes better. or i will upgrade to 4 gb.
thanks for your posts and inputs.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
The only problems I have with Firefox are related to plugins, but I never tried to find which one, as I don't use Firefox as my main browser.

In my computer, with 64 bits Windows 7 and 3 GB of memory, I always have 8 or nine tabs opened and it doesn't crash, although sometimes it consumes lots of memory and processing power.

Try disabling the plugins and add-ons and see if the same thing happens.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

i had adblock running, switched it off. now i have to wait if it crashes again.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I have ad block plus running on Firefox 6.0.1 and it doesn't cause any crashing. You could also try clearing out your cache.

Might want to run Malwarebytes to make sure you don't have any viruses/malware on your system. That could possibly be what is causing it.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by IlluminatusOculus33

i clear the cache quite regularly and use spybot for malware.
i already miss adblock, its amazing how much advertisement is out there.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by IlluminatusOculus33

i clear the cache quite regularly and use spybot for malware.
i already miss adblock, its amazing how much advertisement is out there.

Yeah lol that's why I stick with Firefox. I have Chrome with Ad Block Plus but the way Chrome is designed pop-ups still get through even with pop ups disabled and ad blocking in place. Firefox is good at blocking all pop ups and ads with Ad Block Plus.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
If you are using Firefox 6.01 there are a couple of addons you can use.

One is called ToManyTabs.

TooManyTabs is a Mozilla Firefox add-on. It is a pain when you have way too many tabs - you can't find the right tab, and the tabs eat up so much memory that your PC is dragged to a halt. With the latest version of TooManyTabs, you can now store as many tabs as you like by adding extra rows in the Firefox. Instead of allowing idle tabs to waste your PC's memory, you can now put your tabs on the extra rows, remove them from the memory, and restore them in your browser when you need them again. The extra rows also allow you to better prioritize and visualize your tabs. Finding the right tab have never been easier! It is now guilt-free to be a tab-aholic!

The link will send you to their web site.

It is compatible with Chrome also.

You should always check your plugins to see if their up to date.

edit on 6-9-2011 by IamJustanAmerican because: added quote

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

I just got an update to version 6.0.2, with a little luck they solved your problem.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join