It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Little-Known Cryptids: The Dover Demon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Okay, the title might be somewhat misleading. I'm sure you've all heard of the Dover Demon by now. But this is my second research thread, so I might as well stick with the name I used for the other one. Without further delay, my research and musings on the Dover Demon.

On a dark night in April 1977 outside Dover, Massachusetts, a group of three teenagers driving past a fallen-down brick structure saw an unusual movement at the corner of their vision. They assumed at first that it was a dog or something conventional. This idea was quickly dashed as the creature crossed in front of the car. As the headlights illuminated the thing, they realized it was like nothing they'd seen before. Before them stood a bizarre creature with a bulbous head, spindly limbs and skin the colour of peach. It was completely hairless, had orange eyes and extended fingers, along with a somewhat distended stomach. It was the first time anything like this had been seen. But it wouldn't be the last.

Two hours later, approximately a mile away, a 15 year old boy was walking home from his girlfriend's house when he saw a humanoid being approaching down the road. As soon as it spotted him, it fled into the brush by the roadside. Assuming it was a severely deformed human, he gave chase, soon losing sight of the creature. He quickly ran out of breath, and paused by a shallow gully. Looking across it, he got his first clear glimpse of the being, leaning against a tree. His description matches the one given by the earlier party. The same extended digits, bulbous head and glowing eyes. He watched it for a time before getting the feeling that it might turn hostile, as it looked very tense. He left the area rapidly, sketching the creature when he arrived home.

The final encounter was again a group of teens, ages 15 and 18. The creature was sighted sitting alongside a bridge, apparently sitting. The older of the two compared it to a hairless primate with a bulbous head. The eyes were again reported to be glowing, except green.

Soon after, the witnesses were asked separately to draw the creature to the best of their abilities. The similarities between the sketches were eerie. Below are the various depictions of the creature by witnesses.

As drawn by the first witness
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d25205871ce0.jpg[/atsimg]

The second witness's first sketch.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1d81cdb9ef52.jpg[/atsimg]

And a professional version of the second witness's.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2c206ef7fcea.jpg[/atsimg]

And the third.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/02193db31840.jpg[/atsimg]

As for what it is, that's the point that's been debated ever since that night. Theories range from a heavily deformed moose calf to the "Grey" extraterrestrials so popular today. Me, I've got a few ideas. One's that is really was human, remotely. Hydrocephaly, and a number of other mutations. I don't much like that one, though. Wouldn't explain the eyeshine (unless it happened to be Riddick). Next one down is an unknown species of animal. I do like this one, as things looking like this do show up from time to time. The town of Dover is relatively close to the Atlantic, and I personally have a theory on aquatic primate species, so this thing would fit that pretty well. I'm not a huge fan of the alien idea, mostly because this was an isolated sighting with none of the traditional aerial phenomena associated with supposed extraterrestrial sightings.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
In my opinion there still are creatures on this earth we haven't identified
and why would they show themselves? seems like everything we come across we kill.

The creature identified in the images above however remind me of this video

edit on 28-8-2011 by BernardMarx because: fixed tags

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
The actions of human beings are sickening at times. The kids were scared. Rather than fleeing, they stoned the poor being to death? I don't know what the creature is. However, the story clearly demonstrates that at times human beings are nothing more than savage animals. This is a horribly sad story.
edit on 29/8/11 by applebaum because: typo

link   

link   

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
So in that second video was that ever proven to be real? I saw that a few years ago and watched it about 20 times. If it was fake its a good one.

The Demon could be realated to the Montauk (is it?) monster that washed up on a beach a few years ago, the popular theory on that is that it was created by genetic mutation by a nearby lab.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The creature in the first video is a sloth.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by StratosFear

The first one sort of screams CG to me, but that might be my inner skeptic talking. The sloth is a sloth, although what would possess you to shave a sloth and post photos on the internet I will never know.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
reply to post by StratosFear

The first one sort of screams CG to me, but that might be my inner skeptic talking. The sloth is a sloth, although what would possess you to shave a sloth and post photos on the internet I will never know.

it's a sloth.
you wouldn't have to shave it...the hair naturally falls off after decomposing in water. it happens to every mammal that decomposes in water.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I'm sure the first vid showed a decomposing sloth. Either way, it shows no signs of being "stoned to death", plus the claws are so sloth-like its just puts the final nail int the coffin for me.

The second vid is new to me, and I thought it looked fairly authentic but the creatures last jump into the darkness seemed a little too CGI for me.

In any case, I've never heard of the Dover Demon before. Haven't read through the whole OP yet but it looks good
thanks

Kyle

<<   2 >>

join