It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Irene strikes, expect riots

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Mods, didn't know whether to put this here or in "Predictions".

Watching the news. One of the things they're talking about is massive power outages along the east coast as an effect when Irene strikes. With the economy, unemployment, I'd have to think that this would be a perfect oppourtunity for some to take advantage and start looting.
I have no proof.
I am merely speculating, based on all the factors involved.

I'd sure like to be wrong. But my spidey-senses are tingling.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I'd be willing to bet that if it does happen.......someones gonna blame it on Obama

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Sadly beezzer, I think you're correct. Something seems very odd and ominous with Irene. I can't put my finger on it, yet it's a feeling I just can't shake. To my fellow ATSers in it's path, may you and your loved ones stay safe and come out unscathed on the other side.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Riots?

After a Cat 2 mini-cane?

What will the riots be over, who picks up the most fallen branches?

Stow away your fear. I am guessing you never been through a cane. Its ok. Most will sleep through it, the media will portray it as Irene-maggedon.

But I assure you, there will be no looting/riots. Not after a baby cat 2.

Don't beleive the hype. If I were there now, I would be a BOOGIE BOARDING FOOL!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

Something seems very odd and ominous with Irene

Yeah, its called the mainstream media hype.

Don't buy what their selling. Slow news week.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ErEhWoN

The 'cane may be small, but if power goes out then the oppourtunity will arise.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
heh, riots.

We went without power for close to a month during 05. most places only a couple weeks.
The only riots that happened was when a gas station finally came online and there was a line a half mile long (cars plus people for their generators).

Now, in saying that, I am in florida...we are used to mega storms KOing the power now and then, so its just part of the drill...places where they aren't used to it, well, they might panic a bit if they are new to the experience.
Meh, get a mini-generator, some water, candles, and a few good books and sit tight. also, cook all the frozen stuff you have once you absolutely know its coming for you and invest in pot noodles and old school kettles..a grill is also key (boil water, cook food, etc)

Camping but with comfy beds and less insects basically.

If NYC goes black though, then there is a possibility of riots...thats simply what the young urban animals do...I would suspect the police are already creating measures for this.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

IDK about that, I have been through a few pretty bad hurricanes and people tend to band together in these matters. Where I live there have never been riots or anything, just neighbors trying to help eachother. BUT I have heard horror stories about New Orleans so you never know I guess. It is better to be prepared for trouble and not have any than not be prepared and get your a#$ handed to you.

link   

Originally posted by ErEhWoN
But I assure you, there will be no looting/riots. Not after a baby cat 2.

I think ultimately the issue may arise with extended blackouts, not the hurricane itself.

link   
if they riot over this they dessever what they will get for riotting

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
I'd be willing to bet that if it does happen.......someones gonna blame it on Obama

Only if Obama caused the storm.

(The earthquake was Bush's "fault" however)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by billy197300
New Orleans

Can't compare the two

A hurricane in florida or georgia may tumble down some homes and businesses, but ultimately its just power loss and a bit of tree limb cleanup duty...call the roofer.

Naw'leans had a flood/purge and overall armegeddon that all but washed away the city due to their levee breaking...that was primate survival of the fittest and show the best/worst in society moment.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doublemint
if they riot over this they dessever what they will get for riotting

They usually get televisions, sneakers, cars, etc...

The person whom gets negative stuff are typically small business owners sitting in their house not rioting...so, might want to rethink what you wrote.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Usually what happens when something like this happens, as it was mentioned previously, people tend to band together. People start cooking all their frozen foods and sharing it with people, and beer lots and lots of beer gets drank.

And usually if you run out of something the neighbors are usually kind enough to help you out and what not. I wouldn't call it fun, but it all turns into a block party of sorts. Then after it's over some people have new friends and some go on with their daily lives.

It's actually quite amazing the way people can behave when they are united for a common cause.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
If there were no major riots after Katrina why do you expect any here?

Hoping maybe?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

you think rioters will go unpunished? if so then why does it matter you know. why not do it know?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Timing

The funny thing is, in my little community, on a normal day people generally don't like eachother....won't even get a goodmorning or a hi out of them. A hurricane hits and all that is forgotten for a while and we are all friends. Then when it's over they are back to their same old arrogant selves.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doublemint
reply to post by SaturnFX

you think rioters will go unpunished? if so then why does it matter you know. why not do it know?

Typically they do. safety in numbers and such.

Riots are for materialistic youth. Before principles and a sense of morality/self is understood. I could, with my wisdom and knowledge, be a master thief at this point without fear of punishment, but I don't because I have principles.

Unfortunately some 17 year old ignorant yob has no such instilled principles yet. With age comes wisdom sort of thing.
But yes, rioters tend to attack their local businesses and such just to get things. Rarely do they ever come to justice..and so the only one that gets affected by the riots are typically innocent business owners and homeowners that happened to be in the sights of the mob.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by billy197300
reply to post by Timing

The funny thing is, in my little community, on a normal day people generally don't like eachother....won't even get a goodmorning or a hi out of them. A hurricane hits and all that is forgotten for a while and we are all friends. Then when it's over they are back to their same old arrogant selves.

Yep, thats the difference between electricity and no electricity...forces you to meet the neighbors (and consider moving shortly thereafter at times. heh)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
If there were no major riots after Katrina why do you expect any here?

Hoping maybe?

Nope.Speculating.
There's a difference.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join