It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally, some good news...or is it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Mod note: sorry if im doing this wrong, since it isnt in the "breaking news" forum i choose not to use the article title for my thread title as the thread includes a further discussion as you will read.
If this needs to to be fixed it can be done.

Ok, so im reading through the news and at first i think i have found something good to read.
It is in an article titled Family gets $333,000 for 2009 raid in which cops killed dog from the Chicago Tribune.

In the article i am elated to hear that the police department has been found at fault for the wrongful death of a family pet. There has been so many stories of this happening around the country and i have not, until now, heard of justice prevailing...but...

the payment due to the family for the trespasses they incurred that night, $333,000 is the real reason i decided to make this post...hear me out.

The jury awarded Thomas Russell $175,000, Darren Russell $85,000 and their parents $35,000 each. The jury also awarded the family $2,000 in punitive damages, levied against Antonsen for shooting the dog, and $1,000, against the police supervisor who made the decision to arrest Thomas Russell.

While i am happy, and think perhaps this may stem the tide of these needless shootings (for the most part), my concern now comes with the illusion of justice...
You can see in the article that the actuall officers found at fault are to be held responsible for a mere $3k...the rest has to paid for by the department...or to be more correct the tax payers.

So where is the justice for that? Im sorry i couldnt just bring you the good news and had to put it in these terms but how are the taxpayers responsible for this and why should they have to bear the burden of the mistakes of thier officers, in which case the fines levied are indeed as "excessive" as the actions of the officers involved.

Jennifer Hoyle, a spokeswoman for the city's Law Department, said: "The officers involved in this case were executing a valid search warrant when this incident occurred and were simply protecting themselves. We are extremely disappointed and reviewing all of our options. In particular, we think the damages awarded to the plaintiffs were excessive."

I think that if there is to be an appeal on this matter the fines should remain but it should be the burden and responsibilty of the officers involved.
What lessons do these officers (and others) learn from all this...Its ok cuz the taxpayers will pay for it?
i suppose in the end no one will ever know how this all turned out except the few key players involved
Officer Richard Antonsen
edit on 20-8-2011 by RadicalRebel because: spellin'

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by RadicalRebel

The only thing that will teach these creeps a lesson is take it out of their pay check. When found guilty it should be deducted out of their pay, tax returns and benefits. Why should the taxpayer keep picking up the tabs for these idiots any more than dead beat dads or criminals.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Why only fine him? If an average citizen shot a domestic dog they would be locked up, do the same to him.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I think a lack of training on the police department may also be to blame. If so, then the department bares some responsibility in it, and as such must be punished in their negligence. I don't like the idea of the tax payer having to foot the lion's share of the bill when an individual holds most of the blame.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

i disagree on the lack of training idea, these guys have tons of money spent on them to get them in shape, give them weapons training, procedural indoctination, learning the policies ect...
I do agree though that the department should be held at least partially responsible, but at what cost? (in this case $330,000)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Why just fine them or lock them up.

I call for the Death Penalty and the right hand of every police officer cut off so they remember how severe this tragedy was.
edit on 20-8-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Why just fine them or lock them up.

I call for the Death Penalty and the right hand of every police officer cut off so they remember how severe this tragedy was.
edit on 20-8-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

I think punishment that severe should be held for officers involved in incidents like what happened with the Kelly Thomas case in fullerton CA.
I will agree though that the punishment hould be more severe, something that ill set a precident for officers to concider when on the job

top topics

join