It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

have any of you seen this commerical? New Spread the Word to End the Word Campaign PSA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I saw this commercial last night, I found it very shocking since when is the word "retarded" in the same class as the other words used in this commercial? Why are people becoming so obsessed with being politically correct all the time? We shouldn't say retarded, but half the crap on t.v. glamorizes way worse behavior. It's never nice to use any hurt full words and there are plenty of them out there but do we need a flipping campaign over this? So is the MSM just trying to distract us some more from the current issues at hand? or are our elected representatives getting tired of being called retarded ?
This is even worse then the anti-bulling campaign on t.v. im 40 years old and i can tell you learning how to deal with bullies at an early age is very important! Just like learning to ignore other peoples hurt full words.What im seeing is its ok for our police and people in power to bully and belittle the common man but we need to watch our mouths.www.r-word.org...

edit on 12-8-2011 by buddybaney because: embedding

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by buddybaney

Bad link

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
yup links dead

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
link seems to be retarded. yea pc stuff though

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Fixed your link for you.

Political correctness is...political >.> which we all know is a crock of BS.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

It's true, it's not acceptable. Nevertheless, I think there are contexts where any of those words can and should be used. Context makes any word bad, any word good.

A professor of mine in college who was born in Juarez and raised in El Paso told me that she realized that Mexican was starting to be used as a derogatory word. Not because of people calling her that word, but because people with a false sense of social responsibility - but who didn't know better - would shy away from using it, almost like they would shy away from the words used in that commercial, as though it were a racial slur. Her point: Mexican was a correct word when applied to a Mexican.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
"I'm not calling you a retard because you're retarded, I'm calling you a retard because you're acting retarded!"

link   

edit on 12-8-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: someone already fixed the link

link   
And its not acceptable to call me a drunk ittss juuussst noot ossifur
star for making me laugh lol

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Have to say .. that commercial is pretty retarded...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Fear not, for soon we shall not be able to speak or communicate with anyone, in case it causes offense.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Don't say the word, but you can think it anyway?

You won't prevent your child to burn him/herself if you only tell them to not play with matches.

You have to show them what is involved with fire. Then they won't get burned.

It's the same with words. If you prevent someone from saying the words, there is a chance they will still think what they can't say.
So, silence is better than education? Yishh...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sphota

A professor of mine in college who was born in Juarez and raised in El Paso told me that she realized that Mexican was starting to be used as a derogatory word. Not because of people calling her that word, but because people with a false sense of social responsibility - but who didn't know better - would shy away from using it, almost like they would shy away from the words used in that commercial, as though it were a racial slur. Her point: Mexican was a correct word when applied to a Mexican.

Here in Texas, You better watch who you call Mexican. There are ALOT of actual Mexicans here but also alot of other Latino groups that will take huge offence to be called a Mexican.

"Mexican" is a derogatory word in Texas. Sad but true.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I used to work with the *retarded* and it is offensive!!

They are DEVELOPMENTALLY DISABLED!

The word retarded has a negative association with it, lets be positive and stop picking on people whose motor, physical, and mental skills are less than the norms....

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I worked for the Department of Mental Retardation for a while years ago and guess what we called the individuals who were in our program? We called them retarded, because that is their condition. The bigger picture of being politically correct is a bunch of BS and I'll speak my mind as I please, where I please, when I please. Then again, I wouldn't use the word retarded as slang either. But that's just me.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
As the parent of a special needs child, I feel I have as much right as anyone to chime in on this one and I say people need to get the heck over themselves. Retarded is just a word, and sadly, a descriptive and not inaccurate one for some children. What IS acceptable? Mentally Challenged? Developmentally Disadvantaged? Or how about my personal favorite, 'He's Special'.... Okay, I can make any one of those terms into something ugly and derogatory if I use the wrong tone and context. Same with Retarded....so geeze..

Like I said..people need to get over themselves and stop treating every POTENTIAL slight or 'dis' as a life or death challenge to one's honor or the sure sign that we need 'educated' by PSA's and sensitivity classes. Enough!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

On the other hand...Let's stop renaming their conditions until we find a term and description *WE* are comfortable with. My son has never really seemed to care either way, as long as whats being said to him isn't in mean spirit or anger. He's very high functional PDD-NOS by the way, so I'm not saying this about a boy who is oblivious..He really doesn't care, and I'll bet a majority of them don't...if it's not said to hurt.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by brommas

Lord helps when we will not only will we have to speak politically correct...But THINK politically correct as well.

I will need a Reverse Faraday Cage OVER MY HEAD!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skorpiogurl
I worked for the Department of Mental Retardation for a while years ago and guess what we called the individuals who were in our program? We called them retarded, because that is their condition. The bigger picture of being politically correct is a bunch of BS and I'll speak my mind as I please, where I please, when I please. .

I worked in State Hospitals in California for many years myself and yes way back they were called retarded, but once that term became negative, the policy was changed.....The Clients/Consumers they are now called, did not like being called retarded either. They were smart enough to know the negative association with the word. They have feelings and a sense of spirituality.

So go ahead and use the word retarded however you please, like you said its your free right, but since you have worked with them, you would think you would have a little more respect.....just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Starwise

He's very high functional PDD-NOS by the way, so I'm not saying this about a boy who is oblivious..He really doesn't care, and I'll bet a majority of them don't...if it's not said to hurt.

My experience has shown that half care and the other half dont.......You are correct, about how the word is said with tone of voice! Isnt that how most speech is anyway....

I miss my clients a lot, they were like bright sunshine and I get a little defensive sometimes. I am an advocate for patient and client rights so.........

top topics

<<   2 >>

join