It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Existence of God particle to be decided by next year ?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Every now and again I like to do a little search on the large hadron collider for any new info, as since it was switched on I have waited rather impatiently for the news that the "Hypothetical Higgs Boson", was hypothetical no more.

So I was intrigued to discover the following.....

It has been speculated upon for decades and at the weekend there were hints that the existence of the highly sought-after “God particle” had finally been confirmed

But just before you get all excited !

But at a press conference on Monday, the physicists in charge of the Large Hadron Collider said that they had only established where the Higgs boson was not to be found, and that its location continues to elude them

Booooo !

However....

they now expect to know whether or not the most-wanted particle exists within 18 months

Cool ! But.....

If it is tracked down, it will explain how particles come to have mass and provide the final piece in the Standard Model of physics that was first set out in the 1970s, while if it turns out not to exist then the textbooks could be ripped up.

Ripped up !

So there you have it folks, I understand it isn't exactly earth shattering news, in fact most would consider this thread to be a waste of time, but I thought that perhaps no news could be interesting news for once.

Perhaps we could take this opportunity to open up the debate a little with alternate views, which don't support the exsistence of the "God (but maybe not) particle" .

In addition, and perhaps slightly more chilling, should this particle not be found, discuss the impact of a "non event particle" could have on quantum physics in general (just want to pick your brains on that one )

Or could it just be that 18 months is not long enough to discount its exsistence, and the whole article is a non starter ?

Personally, I am totally sitting on the fence with all this, I know its a cop out, but I truely am unititiated with all things at the quantum level beyond basic comprehension, so I am not even going to pretend.

But just to break the ice perhaps its all just ice cream

Link to article .... Daily Telegraph
edit on 4-8-2011 by solargeddon because: whoopsy, forgot to add a link

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This may be the best news of the year.. I will get to once again say CHRISTIANS FAIL!

last time is was this excited was may, 21st.. When Harold Camping Proved once again CHRISTIANS FAIL!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Lol, I like it, but we still have to give them another 18 months before total denounciation.

However given that the project has been running a few years now, with dare I say it limited success (well as far as the elusive one) I think you'll be drinking the champagne on ice pretty soon

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Enugh already with the "God Particle".

Trust me, the last thing we want is Real God Particles being found.

We are not ready

or worthy.

Maybe he'll just wipe us out and start again, again.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

what created the god particle?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by POPtheKlEEN89

what created the god particle?

Since i don't feel like typing this out again.. I will copy it from my previous post in another "currently active thread"

If you can chose to accept putting blind faith into a faceless "deity".. There is only one truth.. The universe is "god".. And i use the term "god" loosely.

The problem with religion is many people realize this fact.. But over the centuries People could not come to terms with worshiping a "nameless being"..

So in human nature they "supplied" a story, and name.. To a nameless entity..

In other words "god" exists.. "god is our creator.. "god" is the universe.

Edit to add: Source for my quote
edit on 4-8-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This thread is why I hate the nick name "God Particle."

This has nothing to do with God. This has nothing to do with Christianity or any diety.

Stop it. The Higgs-Boson has nothing to do with religion or spirituality. It is a theoretical elementary particle.
edit on 4-8-2011 by Spencer1989 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Spencer1989

Indeed, and for that very reason, I propose that we rename it the Secular Humanist Flying Spaghetti Particle!

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

intellectual pompousness is such a horrible trait dude and your statement is as ambiguous as your insults against christianity are ignorant. im just gonna let you win
heres to your next cop-out!

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by POPtheKlEEN89

intellectual pompousness is such a horrible trait dude and your statement is as ambiguous as your insults against christianity are ignorant. im just gonna let you win
heres to your next cop-out!

I'm sorry.. I didn't know this was a talent contest..?
Pffft.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I think one would have to go beyond the quantum level, beyond what is physically possible to find a GOD. ;P

You have to think outside the Matrix like Alex Jones does...
After all God particles are all around us.

Waking up in the Matrix...

edit on 5-8-2011 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Stop calling it the "God" particle. It isn't.

Leon Lederman wanted to call it the "goddamn" particle because it was proving so hard to find but was necessary for the theory. The editors of the book changed it to "God" particle for entirely commercial reasons.

Peter Higgs himself has related this story on the record.

He's rather elderly now, it would be nice to get him the Nobel (it cannot be given posthumously), which is a lock along with the CERN director.

Actually about 6 people figured it out at nearly the same time, and won the 2010 "Sakurai" price from the American Physical Society.

www.scholarpedia.org...

www.scholarpedia.org...

By the way, the Higgs* mechanism doesn't seem to say anything about gravity or the famous equivalence principles.

It does appear to show why some elementary particles have masses (though nucleons get more mass from other mechanisms), masses here relate to inertia and the fact that they cannot be spontaneously created at low energies (unlike, e..g the truly zero mass photons).
edit on 6-8-2011 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Can I just state for the record, that although I used the term "God Particle" somewhere in my post, I agree it shouldn't be referred to as such, and the title of the thread I lifted straight from the source title so that it couldn't be miscontruened.

I no way do I believe it should be referred to as the *** particle, however I am sure that even those who have speculated it as being the afforementioned, use the phrase tounge in cheek as opposed to being directly connected with some notion of the divine, these are people of science after all.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Why not the Excessively Massive (EM) particle to be going too fast
near the speed of light.

Where in the world of ether particles would it fit.

new topics

top topics

join