It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worldwide Jehovahs Witness Church Hierarchy Charged With Child Abuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

jwnews.net...

Worldwide Church Hierarchy Charged With Child Abuse......
jwnews.net...

AUSTRALIA: The entire worldwide religious and corporate hierarchy of the church of Jehovah’s Witnesses were formally charged today in the State of Victoria, Australia, with the mass committing of criminal offences against children.

Criminal charges were officially filed today in the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria, Australia, against the entire worldwide religious and corporate hierarchy of the church of Jehovah’s Witnesses. The charges allege ongoing breaches of the Victorian Working with Children Act 2005 as it applies to “religious organisations”.

An initial 35 criminal charges, alleging breaches of mandatory child protection laws, were individually filed against the following corporations and bodies as named in the court documents (“Charge-Sheet And Summons” No. 066484):[

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kigamboni

wasnt able to add additional text,, lol,, very interesting reading. it will be interesting to see the outcome for these charges.
Cheers

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
why am i not surpriesd

christians are always touching little kiddies

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
This example emphasizes the obvious risks inherent in ANY self-proclaimed hierarchial, authority-based extremistic ideology.

Power corrupts (and eventually it gives the more sane or decent parts of such an ideology a very bad name).

The real danger isn't the diversity of many differing ideologies. It's the way invasive sociopath mindsets misuse these ideologies to brainwash mankind, to further their own interests (of whatever kind).
edit on 31-7-2011 by bogomil because: addition

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Welshextremist

WHAT ???????????? none of the charges i can see relate to actual acts of peadophilia

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

No, it wasn't direct child abuse, from what I can tell it was the fact that the "elders" didn't follow laws relating to the proper checks for adults having access to children, essentially leaving the children under the supervision of potential/unknown child ofeenders.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Welshextremist
why am i not surpriesd

christians are always touching little kiddies

You did not read it! It does not relate to your comment. Go and read the article before making slanderous remarks like that.

You have just proved to me that you are a hateful minded, bigotted fool!

Extremist by name, extremist by nature!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by Welshextremist

WHAT ???????????? none of the charges i can see relate to actual acts of peadophilia

"If convicted they individually face up to two years imprisonment per “offence” and even the possibility of being placed on the state’s Sex Offenders register."

"It is expected that over 100 additional sets of criminal charges could be laid as more evidence comes to light and more offences are formally identified."

whawahwah wah!!! nice try christians
edit on 31/7/2011 by Welshextremist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

From what I can gather from the article this is actually a very positive step. It is basically about the JWs not following child protection laws in Victoria. They did not follow protocol. They should have. I say that as a Christian.

Of course you know that Christ and Paul taught to obey the law and authority, so in that sense the JWs here have broken the law in that they had no policy and screening of individuals in the Church gaining access to children in the church.

In these times it is vital that we do our best to protect children from abuse. Even churches have proved that they as institutions cannot be trusted. The Roman Catholics and others need to get up to date with the rest of us.

That is a reason why I do not attend church because I have lost trust in institutions because very often they are not preaching true Christianity (they are making things up that Christ did not say and manipulating His Words).

Still I KNOW the Christ of the New Covenant and I believe Him, not others giving me a second hand distorted version.
edit on 31-7-2011 by Revolution9 because: spelling

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The various christian churches/institutions have always been a safe haven for perverts,
pedophiles, charlatans, murderers and madmen. The very foundation of their religion
is that Jebus forgives all their sins, no matter how vile and repugnant, what do you
expect from such a philsophy?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by puzzlesphere

thank dog - some one actually understood what this case means

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
JW are an evil bunch. Now don't gojumping at throat just yet...hear me out.

The people themsekves are fine, it`s their beleifs. My wife, until the age of 13, was in the JW. The things thry would tell her. The fear mongering was incredible. She was not allowed to play with kids that were not JW. So at recess she would play alone in fear of going to hell. Same for participating in Halloween...well all the stuff kids love. She had nightmare until her late teen of going to hell because she left the religion. Well, she was banished by the Elders because she spoke her mind at an assembly. The Brain washing is tremendously effective. Unfortunatly people realize what they are being subjected to and because they have invested themselves emotionally they can not easily leave. Their spouce and children are JW. Their friends are JW. It's forbidden otherwise.
edit on 31-7-2011 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Are you sure those are the jehovas witnesses? They are really cruelly isolating, and maximize social pressures to keep grasps on you, but they don't believe in hell.

They believe that earths gonna be a paradise for them to be resurrected into to live happily forever. No hell for the non-JWs, they're just not invited.

~
Oh, and regarding the story. I'd be calling my mother(Jehovas Witness) just so I could hear her reaction. But, it's sunday morning, you know where she is.
edit on 31-7-2011 by xxsomexpersonxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

I've been with her for 12 years...yeah I'm sure. Not sure what she called it but basicly it was hell.

On a lighter note, you should call her. I'm sure she'd love to hear from you.

Have a gooid day.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I was expecting an entirely different discussion. The article indicates that the Witnesses are charged only with not obtaining Working with Children license cards. It further states that policemen and teachers are not rquired to get them. This card is not required in the US, although an employer may require a background check.

I was expecting to see people complaining about national government overreach, or perhaps a violation of church-state separation, or the wisdom of allowing any exemptions at all. Instead, some have jumped to an entirely unfounded conclusion and, as though it were Pavlov's bell, responded with criticism of all religions unsupported by anything in the article.

We can do better.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

This was meant as an informational post only, not a request for abuse of these people.

Ty

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I was expecting an entirely different discussion. The article indicates that the Witnesses are charged only with not obtaining Working with Children license cards. It further states that policemen and teachers are not rquired to get them. This card is not required in the US, although an employer may require a background check.

I was expecting to see people complaining about national government overreach, or perhaps a violation of church-state separation, or the wisdom of allowing any exemptions at all. Instead, some have jumped to an entirely unfounded conclusion and, as though it were Pavlov's bell, responded with criticism of all religions unsupported by anything in the article.

We can do better.

They are charged with with committing criminal offences against children... i.e being in charge of an organization which is creating an environment that is inherently unsafe for children.... child abuse....

Religious organizations should not be held above the law.... crime is crime, and the JW organization has had an environment which is rife with child abuse for some time...

As a kid I had a friend whose dad beat the living hell out of him on a regular basis... he was homeschooled so the only places he really ever was in public was the weekly meetings... after years of the kid showing up with bruises on his face, and even a broken arm from being thrown down the stairs, the dad was reproved... we never knew for sure that was why, but we suspected... all the adults knew what was going on as it was blatantly obvious... after he was reproved it stopped until he was reinstated and then started again... I moved out of the house and stopped going to meetings, so I don't know what happened later, but the point is no one ever went to the police...

I had a "girlfriend"... we were around 14 when she was molested by a brother in the congregation... he wouldn't admit it and the elders couldn't come up with conclusive proof.... rather than going to the police her parents and her just moved to another congregation and the next town over so that she didn't have to see his face... I still did knowing what he had done to someone I cared about very much... she was never the same after that and tried to kill herself many times... I'd still see her at bigger conventions... I lost contact with her when I stopped attending meetings upon turning 18...

My family has had four kids that have been molested by either elders or other men in the congregation.... two of my mothers sisters and two of my cousins a generation later.... all were handled within the congregation... with the men being either publicly reproved or disfellowshipped and later reinstated...

The problem is when they are publicly reproved or disfellowshipped the congregation is not notified of why.... only the people involved know why.... the parents are advised not to go to law enforcement... and they usually don't for fear of being looked down on or losing priveledges themselves... so after they are reinstated no one is aware of the danger that is present...

These are just the cases I have personal knowledge of because I was close to the victims... There were other rumors that I heard and probably some I didn't hear... the point is it is an environment which allows predators to go under the radar.... one of the many reasons why I'd never involve my kids in such an organization... I'm glad a government is trying to bring the problem to light and hold those responsible accountable....

edit on 1-8-2011 by wearewatchingyouman because: clarity

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
If we're going into cases of child abuse at the kingdom halls, I can share one too.

I never went to the kingdom hall much, so I only have one significant case I can think of. Basically a womens baby starts crying, and she takes it back to the bathroom, and you can hear it start absolutely screaming. It was very obvious she was resorting to a lot worse than petty spanking trying to shut it up. Kept going for like 25 minutes before her mother(the grandmother) went back there. No one ever spoke to this women, no one ever thought that, if she was that abusive in public, someone needs to check on how bad she is at home. Everyone 'knew better' and kept silent.

I don't believe the witnesses are particularly abusive, bad people are everywhere. But they have an institution of social pressure, that's really controlling. Add onto that, that they aren't suppose to have non-witness personal relationships, outside immediate family, and people are slaves to the social image.

No ones gonna step outside of what everyone else is doing, to draw attention to something bad. They have to stay busy acting like the others that are ignoring it. If they do say something, it'll be to the elders in private, and the elders are really lenient because they don't want people to leave their church.

The control extends far past letting people bad things slide though. If you do something questionable, even if it's moral to you, it seriously hurts your social standing. Do a few of these things, no one wants to be around you. Start questioning the beliefs systems, or even asking questions you should just assume there's a good answer for, people start thinking your apostate. Quit believing, and you've lost all your friends and other socials besides your immediate family, who'll also hold you at an arms length still if their witnesses too.

~
So, while I strongly disagree with the churches actions ignoring laws, I don't think every case of child abuse is there fault. I'm not gonna blame them for bad witnesses actions. I am, however, strongly against the social structure of control they build that makes these things easier to get away with.

~
Oh, and one time, someone had a heart attack on stage while giving a talk. After the ambulance came like 20 minutes later and took him away, they just kept going like they would have after his talk. He'd just about died in front of all of them, and they still maintained a facade of normality. It just seemed so improper to me, I couldn't belief it.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Most of my family cut me off after I left. The only people that still speak with me are my mother and father. All the rest of my family shunned me. Words cannt describe the hate I have towards this organization. All I did was realize they were trying to control me so I left.

new topics

top topics

join