It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much money does anybody actually need?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
reply to post by Ultraman2011

Can you please tell me where I can get a guaranteed 5% return these days. I am not trying to be contrary. I am serious, I would really appreciate any information.

I pay my private lenders 16% every 90 days on a secured investment.

Be careful of anyone that “Guarantees” anything.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

That's very true and I agree. There would be lots of people asking for money in that situation, especially in the small town I live in. You would have to plan very very carefully so you could afford the property taxes and insurance on the houses and cars throughout your life but it could be done. Thanks for posting.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

Now that's what I would love to do. Make my own power and grow my own food and live off the grid. The only problem with honey, at least here in the US, is CCD- Colony Collapse Disorder. I don't know if you guys have it down under but here my dad was telling me every year the honey farmers need to buy new queens and workers because of it.

USDA - CCD

Last I heard nobody really knows what causes it but I believe it has to do with GMO crops with built in insecticides. My dad says its the 3 P's: People, Pollution, and Parasites.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

You're right and I never did factor in inflation. Thanks for bringing that up. I think the current inflation rate is 3%? So you would actually need 3.15% APY to make that kind of real money.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Money is energy...that's right, people...nothing more than energy....
Most rich people may have a lot of disposable energy....ya know, asset rich, cash poor. In other
words, that's whats up...a lot of "rich" people are only rich on paper...heaven forbid that they be
outed as the same as the rest of us.

How much do I need to live on...easy peasy...enough to set myself up for self sustainability, totally...then ask
that cash necessary to cover that particular lifestyle. Face it, y'all...even people that are self sustainable need a little something set aside for hard times, replacement parts, etc. As long as the world we live in requires money
in order to function...money will be a necessary evil. I just pray that as we continue on, that we have wisdom enough to realize that it isn't how MUCH money we have...but how we put the ENERGY to work for us.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
if you find comfort in money...your doomed...if you find comfort without it...you might have a chance...

I wanted to quote this because it's so true. Thanks for posting.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ultraman2011

I had no idea there was such a thing. I could easily live off $1 million that way for the rest of my life.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

You're so right. Money is nothing but energy and that's why I think the Venus Project could actually work. If there was so much energy freely available we wouldn't need money, at least not the way we need it now. Thanks for posting.

Venus Project

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thov420

It's all relative. To a millionare, billionares are gready. To rich people, millionares are greedy. To middle class people, rich people are greedy. To poor people, middle class people are greedy. And that's not even considering countries with different wealth distribution.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by thov420

We don't have such issues that I am aware of.

I have several Apiaries in my area that breed Queens that are pure and disease free.
So it would be a matter of getting some of these Queens and starting a few hives.

With a correctly built hive, you would get months of honey and when the Queen is getting on in the years, remove the barrier in the hive so that she can seed the honeycomb.
Hopefully, another Queen will pop out.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by thov420

You know? It's about time we talked about this. I never agreed that sports figures, movie, and music stars, and bankers should have billion of dollars. What can they do with all that? I had a millionaire friend tell me this one time. He said, If you could borrow, without interest, one million dollars for one full year, and let it do nothing but make money for you, then, at the end of the year pay back the original million, in just two more years you too would have a million. Then, he said, you could spend $5000 every day for the rest of your life, and you would never spend it all. this was in during the Clinton years he told me this. Money makes more money. Money is even traded on the International market.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci

Originally posted by Meatman
I spend $25 a month at the grocery store, the rest I raise and grow on 5 acres,debt free always have been, and barter all my extra, I still work here and there but only for cash,

I can get by on and live like a king for $4000 a year. It does not bother one bit that there are super rich people out there.

What country do you live in? This is very impressive. Did you build your home? Do you have to pay property taxes or do you have a homestead situation? I bet you have long work days taking care of everything.

The small country of Florida

Paid cash for the place and the $4000 covers my Property tax and a few other things as cable and internet
Spend a lot less time then you would think.
Goats
Ducks for eggs (better for you better for baking and you get around 50 more eggs per duck then a chicken per year plus they are dry land ducks.
and a big garden in Florida I have something growing all year.

do got to admit gas is starting to hurt since I get around 9-11 mpg with my F-250 V10
but I can still work for guys that own bread routes that need me to run their routes when they take vacations.
and that is anywhere from $600 to $1500 a week cash and if need to I could pick up 3 weeks a month but usually one week is enough to get by.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
after the house, the boat and the car, how much is left?

they need upkeep and taxes etc.

people forget that.

50mil will do it for me.

hell yeah!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by thov420

Always the issue..having already given up on the material world to work in humanitarian development overseas (for ten years). I still do the lottery in the UK, because of the real potentials it might release to me (plus some of the ticket cash still goes to charity (or so they claim LOL). Naturally I would secure my close family first and then use the rest to travel and help people around the planet. to selfishly see, explore and experience this amazingly fragile but incredible world.....that's about it really.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by thov420

Nobody needs money for anything. Money is nothing but an onerous and burdensome contrived system that only has utility as a method of controlling people. It's much like voodoo, it only works on you if you believe in it. That doesn't mean believers in the voodoo can't enforce their delusions on the sane, though. There's power in numbers, and when over 99% of the world believes in a fairy tale it's hard to convince them otherwise.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

Money is not energy and represents nothing tangible or of any value, it is an utterly contrived system used to control people.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

You have the same idiotic plan everybody devises. Can everyone do what you suggest? Who are you going to sell the honey to if everyone is producing honey to sell? I get so disgusted every time I see one of these "sufficiency" plans, they always go back to money, oh well I need to pay my taxes or they'll take my land away. What's the solution? Get enough money every year to pay the taxes? NO. Get RID of the taxes by getting rid of the government.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by StalkingGoogle
reply to post by Sovaka

You have the same idiotic plan everybody devises. Can everyone do what you suggest? Who are you going to sell the honey to if everyone is producing honey to sell? I get so disgusted every time I see one of these "sufficiency" plans, they always go back to money, oh well I need to pay my taxes or they'll take my land away. What's the solution? Get enough money every year to pay the taxes? NO. Get RID of the taxes by getting rid of the government.

Well obviously the best option would be to get rid of the Government Taxes on Land and Income.

But the suggestion was based off individuals in our current system.
Of course if everyone had Honey you couldn't sell it to them.
So you would do something else.
Jams are another good source of money in our current society and requires little effort.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by thov420

My guesstimate for a "decent" life as I see it is $100k for married couples, $60k for single parents...any lower than this you risk missing out and living in debt permanantly.

CJ

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
All I really need is my main bills paid off and I would be happy.

All you really need is to be free of the large deubt items such as car paments and house payments. After that any income you have coming in is positive money you have.

Pay my house and car payments and I would be full of giggles.

Edit to add: Less than 100k would pay off those deubts.

Raist
edit on 7/29/11 by Raist because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join