It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texting while walking means $120 fine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Texting while walking will get you scrapes, cuts, sprains, even YouTube fame if you happen to fall into a fountain at the mall ... and starting next month, if you do it in Philadelphia, a $120 fine.

Click for the full article

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Wow. Texting while walking? I understand the texting while driving laws completely, but this is ridiculous. It sounds like more of a rule in the hallways of a high school than an actual city law.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
After reading the article:

1. You can put a law on stupid.. seriously, if people cannot do two things at once, safely, your going to have problems. and no law will fix that.

2. I think it is more of a waste of time that there are people trying to make laws banning people from wearing headphones, and texting while they move. Again, refer to #1.

Seriously tho.. What is the world coming too.. Next a law on walking and chewing gum?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Seems like they will find anyway possible to make money these days.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by KnightFire

They trick you into driving laws because they have tricked you into signing over your car to the state and they can impose all sorts of restrictions.

This texting while walking fine is, I would think a violation of basic human rights. Let's see what the NAACP can do with it.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
No, there is a new article out this morning (www.philly.com...) there will be no fines for texting and walking.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Cool, we are really moving forward as a civilisation aren't we?

Soon, they may have to start fining people that breath when they walk, if they dont check to see if it is safe to do so beforehand.

Whatever happened to injury loss or harm?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I dn't know, it's a rediculous law that I'm sure no one fully agrees with, but it is also extremely annoying to have to go out of your way not to hit someone who is zombie-ized by texting while walking. I'm sure this will end up like all the other lame laws that have nerver gone anywhere.

List of other Dumb Laws

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Dont even get me started on how many people have bumped into me when they are texting, its annoying as hell. I even saw this lady run into a wall while texting and walking. If only we had more people running and falling into water fountains like that lady at the mall maybe they would learn their lesson

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
My grandfather used to own Mid Atlantic Equipment Company. They did construction and sold large pieces of equipment. They got sued because one day, a jogger with a walkman on was not paying attention and stepped onto a driveway and a dumptruck backed over her. The driver never saw her.

The family lost the suit, because the truck had the appropriate lights and noises on. Fact was, the jogger was distracted and not paying attention.

If you are texting while walking on a city street, you can't see hazards. You can't see thugs coming towards you, you can't see holes in teh sidewalk, or a missing grate.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Well I was outraged for a second. But, thank god, it was just a false alarm. They have updated the article now, saying that they will not fine people for texting while walking.

I have to ask though...what the hell would black people have to do with texting while walking?? I'm quite sure it's not a racist law, just a ridiculous one.

Originally posted by VforVendettea

Let's see what the NAACP can do with it.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight76
No, there is a new article out this morning (www.philly.com...) there will be no fines for texting and walking.

DarkKnight76,

Thanks for the updated article. I searched for updates, but came up empty when I did my search.

Again, Thanks for the updated article. Hopefully, they won't reverse their stance and start fining people.

All, please check out the link in the Quoted Post. It has updated information regarding this topic.
edit on 19-7-2011 by KnightFire because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-7-2011 by KnightFire because: spelling corrections

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Not a dumb law when you consider that texting has become more important to people than paying attention to their surroundings. I watch young kids ride their bikes in the street head down, i-Pod in the ear and one hand or both hands typing away never looking out for the other guy or the driver who is texting also. It's a bad combination. I see people walk out in front of cars while texting in the parking lot of my local shopping center as well. Honestly, what could possibly be that !@#$ing important.

A neighboring town and the City of Cleveland has made texting while driving a violation and 23 states now have a total or partial ban on driving while texting.

I don't text nor do I have any desire to text. You wan to communicate with me, call me, write me or send me an email.

www.wkyc.com...
edit on 19-7-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackmetalmist
Dont even get me started on how many people have bumped into me when they are texting, its annoying as hell. I even saw this lady run into a wall while texting and walking. If only we had more people running and falling into water fountains like that lady at the mall maybe they would learn their lesson

S & F for you!

I totally agree.

I see people fall down while texting because they aren't watching where they are walking.

There are still a lot of women texting/talking while driving here in Seattle also.

I wish someone would finally invent the Idiot Gun...

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The next Liberal law will ban conversation while talking. The fear being that if your busy concentrating on communicating you simply are not aware of your suroundings.. anyone caught talking and walking at the same time will face a severe financial punishment to remind them of the States retribution. There are also plans to ban music in cars, eating and watching TV and a more comprehensive plan to ban children from playing outdoors. Because they might get hurt.
edit on 7/19/2011 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Im absolutely all for no texting and driving... but Nooooo!!! Dont ban walking and texting. Its too amusing

My daughter and I went to the DMV late last week and I swear to you a woman fell on the steps walking and texting. The DMV has a wall o' glass wall and we all saw it. The other amusing part was her getting up and looking around to see if anyone on the street saw her.. but paid NO attention to the dozens of folks sitting in the DMV watching the plate glass windows and snickering. Sure the windows were tinted, but surely she could figure out that we can see OUT.. yes?
At least she interrupted our boredom

( yes yes, Im sure someone will think its just terrible to snicker at someone falling up steps.... bad me.. and the rest of the DMV zombies.)

Used to be the thing to say was "you cant walk and chew gum at the same time".... now its "you cant walk and text at the same time".

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Texting is the most ridiculous thing I've ever encountered. Just call the person. Whatever happened to good, old fashioned communication? Hearing someone's voice, looking at their face. I can't tell you how many arguments I've seen start because someone texted another with a joking, sarcastic comment that was taken too seriously because you can't read the tone of a text.

Very few things are better than really, actually connecting with another person. Not gonna happen with your thumbs.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I don't text. I occasionally talk to someone via messenger whenever I'm at the computer.

However, if that person is on their mobile, logged into a messenger, texting, then I will not talk to them and bid them farewell. I can wait until they are home and not on the road or something. I don't know how many times I've talked to a woman online, to have her tell me "just a sec, I'm backing out of the driveway" or "I'm pulling up to the drive-thru now" "walking into the store now" etc.

Making me realize, wow.. I've been supporting someone's dangerous habit by talking to them.

So, if I have any indication they're mobile, then whatever we're talking about can wait. It just doesn't make sense. I don't know why people do that. It is a PHONE you know, it has a receiver and transmitter that you can listen from and speak into.

Both texting and twitter are a scourge. Both are disorganized, asinine forms of communication with no structure or meaning whatsoever.

And no, I don't mean to say "all women", I just tend to talk to women more than I do men on messengers. Thats just with my experience. I've also known a guy, a trucker, who actually texts while drives, and has had 2 accidents. Irresponsible, dangerous twit. I don't know how he hasn't slaughtered someone on the road yet.

As for the law itself. Well, I think it's stupid, especially for walking. In regards to driving, there needn't be a law. Simply being reckless is good enough. We do not need a classification for everything someone does that is reckless. Shall we make it a law to forbid looking in the mirror, a law to forbid eating while driving? Nuts.

I'll say it now, and I'll say it again. The texting while driving "law" push, isn't about reckless endangerment. It is a backdoor policy to allow law enforcement to search your phone. There have been several instances of this being attached to the law, and that is the crux of all of this, in my humble opinion.

There doesn't need to be a law for you to be cited for reckless endangerment.
edit on 19-7-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Before we start creating cellphone/texting laws while WALKING, we need FIRST to concentrate on a nationwide BAN on cellphone/texting while DRIVING!!!

I am SICK of seeing knuckleheads deep in a conversation on their cellphones NOT paying any attention to the road in which they are driving on.

I am SICK of having instances where folks on their cell phones lock their brakes up behind me and skid off the road while I am stopped at a stop light!!! At the last minute they see the rear of my car and other cars stopped because they are DISTRACTED BY THEIR CELL PHONE!!!!!!!!

I see similar near misses multiple times every week all due to folks distracted by their cell phone.

I honestly think that folks on their cellphones while driving are MORE HAZARDOUS than folks whom are fairly drunk from alcohol. It is just that RIDICULOUS!!!!

edit on 19-7-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Nvm, looks like a hoax.
edit on 19-7-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join