It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As an american christian, do you think slavery is a sin?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Very strange, it seems ok for Christians to have other Christians as slave, but not Jewish people?

How come the bible protects them from slavery and not its own followers, the Christians?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by EartOccupant
reply to post by SaturnFX

Very strange, it seems ok for Christians to have other Christians as slave, but not Jewish people?

How come the bible protects them from slavery and not its own followers, the Christians?

Because the jewish are the chosen people...can't have some filthy christian or pagan owning a jew.

funny, innit.

Anyhow, Jews worship God (Yehweh), Christians worship Lord God...two different entities (read the hebrew words for the two...one is a sort of supreme being, the other is the earth guy..like a landlord...Christians follow the landlord..jews go directly to the source)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Read Frederick Douglas's book about slavery. He says in there a few times that slaves absolutely feared being sold to very religious owners as they were the most cruel out of all the slave owners.

They would often use the bible passages as proof of why slaves deserved even harsher beatings than they would normally get under an unbeliever.

Oftentimes they would quote the passages while continuing to beat the slaves.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Of course. Not to offend anyone..
But ultimately the OP may be getting at is that Christianity is a form of Slavery.

"Believe I am better than you and give trust. Follow my rules and do as I say, or I will kill you."

If some guy hit you over the head, and dragged you off somewhere, this would be slavery.
So why is it that suddenly if you have God saying this to you, it's any different?
But this is the underlying message of Christianity IMO, covered up with love and forgiveness.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

This is a tough question. On a moral level I agree completely that it's wrong. However thinking about it...I'm not sure if slavery within itself would be a sin.

Although I don't think it matters at this point. Nobody should have slaves anymore and even back then it was wrong.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by czygyny

I think this says it perfectly.

As I said above, I don't think specifically it is a sin. However I do think slavery is wrong.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Slavery is a sin whether your a Christian or not.
Making people your slave is just plain bad.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I'm against slavery as a human being on this Earth

having said that there are many kinds of slavery,there is forced slavery,that is I come to your house burn it down, put you and your kids chains,sell starve and beat you, force you to work and possibly kill you for my own sick enjoyment . you could not escape alive and any offspring you had would be slaves also.This is the bad one

the one that is less evil is you work for me without pay for seven years to pay off a debt or something. at least there is a contract and some end in sight. This was called Indentured Servitude

These are the extremes there are other variations on slavery as well

so I guess it depends on what you mean by slavery.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

As an american christian, do you think slavery is a sin?

would you mean was a sin? because the only continent on earth that still practices slavery in their society openly would be Africa ... regardless being an American citizen and most likely white, you are solely responsible.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
would you mean was a sin?

If I say was a sin, it means now it's not a sin.. do you understand that? That's moral relativism. Doesn't matter whether americans are doing it right now or not.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Depends on how seriously a Christian wants to take the Old Testament. Many Christians like the ten commandments and those that support this Christian Nation myth nonsense want the ten commandments out in front of government buildings and court houses. That's Exodus 20, the Ten Commandments. My guess is they wouldn't want Exodus 21 anywhere near our government buildings, keep in mind that according to Exodus this is all direct quotes from the mouth of God:

2 “If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything. 3 If he comes alone, he is to go free alone; but if he has a wife when he comes, she is to go with him. 4 If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free.

5 “But if the servant declares, ‘I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,’ 6 then his master must take him before the judges.[a] He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.

7 “If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do. 8 If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself, he must let her be redeemed. He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith with her. 9 If he selects her for his son, he must grant her the rights of a daughter. 10 If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. 11 If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money.

Source

Not sure if there are any Christians here in the USA who still support slavery but the Bible is quite clear, slavery is condoned and regulations on it are imposed by God.

edit on 12-7-2011 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy

would you mean was a sin?

If I say was a sin, it means now it's not a sin.. do you understand that? That's moral relativism. Doesn't matter whether americans are doing it right now or not.

well none of us here were born or lived in the time of slavery... what is the difference when my boss hands me my check every week? sometimes I get a thank you for the help but atleast he's no sadistic sob that likes to beat me.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
now a days we have alot more updated human rights in America, some would even claim we've been the leaders, at any rate it is not morally feasible to practice slavery in the old way... it's all been updated.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

what is the difference when my boss hands me my check every week? sometimes I get a thank you for the help but atleast he's no sadistic sob that likes to beat me.

That's still not slavery. Slavery means your boss owns you.. really owns you as property.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

what is the difference when my boss hands me my check every week? sometimes I get a thank you for the help but atleast he's no sadistic sob that likes to beat me.

That's still not slavery. Slavery means your boss owns you.. really owns you as property.

Exactly, the FED owns yur arse!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Your boss is the Feds??
You should get another job!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

so can we clarify that a little? what do you mean exactly... the unmoralistic beatings which took place and all the good stuff which usually ruffles peoples feathers about old slavery and the african americans.

specifics specifics

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Your boss is the Feds??
You should get another job!

ha! no matter where you get a job the Fed owns ya... ain't no difference except slavery is now covered with a mask called society and my boss is not allowed to beat me.

be beneficial to society

edit on 12-7-2011 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

so can we clarify that a little? what do you mean exactly... the unmoralistic beatings which took place and all the good stuff which usually ruffles peoples feathers about old slavery and the african americans.

specifics specifics

I'm not talkiing about slavery, I'm talking about your job. I don't think you are a slave. Do your boss own you? If he beats you than you should report to the police, it's a criminal act.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

specifics specifics

I'm not talkiing about slavery, I'm talking about your job. I don't think you are a slave. Do your boss own you? If he beats you than you should report to the police, it's a criminal act.

no my boss doesn't beat me though I have worked with Pakistani's in Arlington Va and the boss was hitting on one of the cashiers in the back office about something one time... I remember that it was weird. Probably was short on his register or something? He was from Nepal and the owner happened to also be his sponsor, figure that.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join