It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the Police Lost the Trust of a Law-and-Order Town

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

On May 10, 43-year old Allen Kephart died after being tased multiple times by three San Bernardino, California sheriff's deputies during a routine traffic stop.
Kephart, a quiet and well-liked member of the tight-knit mountain community around Lake Arrowhead, allegedly ran a stop sign and became "combative" during the stop.
But local residents say this claim is wildly out of character for Kephart, who had no police record and no history of aggressive behavior or even temper. Kephart's death has galvanized the local community around a problem they say is getting worse: aggressive policing and the souring of relations between civilians and local law enforcement.

I'll be interested to see if there is any accountability here. Mountain folk don't let such things go easily. This was next to impossible to find a major news outlet that published this story. Found 1. Someone's sleeping.

latimesblogs.latimes.com...
www.youtube.com...

Posting Work Written by Others
Going forward, if you post something that is not 100% your own writing or work you must use the EX TAG, post NO MORE THAN 10% of the original (or three paragraphs, whichever is least), and GIVE A LINK TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL. If the work you are posting is not on the internet, from a book for example, you MUST give a credit for that Book ( the title), its Author and Publisher
edit on July 10th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Without knowing the details of this case, I have to say, the police seem to have adopted this "shoot first" ask question later, never back down, and never show any empathy to the individual. They are acting like goons, and thugs that are above the law, all too often. Really, the guy was stopped for a minor infraction.

Yes, he may have acted irrationally, but that is not a reason to use excessive force. Something has gone seriously wrong in the world of police in the last 10 years.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I guarantee you if they started putting a sensor in police officer's pants, you'd find that 100% of the time they taze someone they do it with a steel woody.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Watched the video...

When small town people are saying that they are scared to drive on their own roads, it's time to do something.

If police think they can continue to terrorize, beat and kill citizens in the streets and their own homes, it's time they start thinking about a career change because they are going to be the targets in the coming times...not citizens.

Makes me wonder who the new chief is since no one seems to know him in a small town. That is suspicious IMO.

edit on 10-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Cops have to sleep just like everyone else.

Maybe start with a blanket party to see if a point can be made. Should that prove ineffectual, on to phase 2.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

When small town people are saying that they are scared to drive on their own roads

This is what scared me the most. I think we're all used to hearing stories of cops in big cities being trigger/taser happy, but I always thought small towns were different. Still Andy Griffith like. OK not quite that idyllic, but more civil because of the "neighborly" connections.

Is there anybody on here who lives in the area and can shed more info on this.

edit on 10-7-2011 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ultraman2011

You seemed to have missed one of the most important factors at work. Police never admid they're wrong untill a court says so. They dont have a habit of admitting that they may have done a mistake or acted in such a manner.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
reply to post by Ultraman2011

You seemed to have missed one of the most important factors at work. Police never admid they're wrong untill a court says so. They dont have a habit of admitting that they may have done a mistake or acted in such a manner.

You should also notice that victims will never admit they were being threatening and deserved to be tazed.

Works both ways.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
My feeling is that any time there's a death of a citizen at the hands of police, justification should be determined by a jury, not an internal investigation.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Tasers are the life-preserving alternative to firearms. The fact that there have been 3 deaths in the last 2 yrs(more than by firearms in the whole county) at the my local jail by tasering is just a fluke. Thats what the county said anyway.
edit on 11-7-2011 by Hillbilly123069 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
There was no need to incapacitate the man, he wasn't acting out as a threat against the cops, cops are known to intentionally make-up story to cover there asses. The guy's history proves him to be peaceful man by the locals.

These cops are scumbags

edit on 11-7-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
reply to post by jude11

When small town people are saying that they are scared to drive on their own roads

This is what scared me the most. I think we're all used to hearing stories of cops in big cities being trigger/taser happy, but I always thought small towns were different. Still Andy Griffith like. OK not quite that idyllic, but more civil because of the "neighborly" connections.

Is there anybody on here who lives in the area and can shed more info on this.

I live next to a small town and all the new cop come here for trainning
most are from big city and city attitude we are just county hick
my sister dated one for a few year and as bad as i think I am ?? WAS
she said thier not to many law their did not break was almost a joke and keeping a running cound ????

new topics

top topics

join