It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the show 'Supernatural' talk about real myths?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Hey there,

I'm a big fan of the show Supernatural and have seen quite a lot of episodes. Some legends and myths that are briefly talked about in each episode appear to be true such as Bloody Mary and the Hookman. But some episode contain certain legends that seem unbelievable such as about the Wendigo.

What do you guys think?? Are some legends that are talked about on the show fake or real?

thanks

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I'm not sure. But, if your into that kind of stuff I would try to get all the seasons of Psi Factor. I heard those were based on real events, and watching some episodes, it makes you wonder.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Yea i like Supernatural too.
As far as i know most of
the stories there are based on
actual myths. To which you can
draw your own conclusion

As to the Wendigo it is based on a
Cannibalistic Spirit

“ The Wendigo was gaunt to the point of emaciation, its desiccated skin pulled tautly over its bones. With its bones pushing out against its skin, its complexion the ash gray of death, and its eyes pushed back deep into their sockets, the Wendigo looked like a gaunt skeleton recently disinterred from the grave. What lips it had were tattered and bloody [....] Unclean and suffering from suppurations of the flesh, the Wendigo gave off a strange and eerie odour of decay and decomposition, of death and corruption."

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 7-7-2011 by jaycen420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by thetruthseeker789

The Wendigo is mythological creature belonging to the folklore of the Alonguin-heres what wikipedia says-

The Wendigo (also known as Windigo, Weendigo, Windago, Windiga, Witiko, Wihtikow, and numerous other variants)[1] is a mythical creature appearing in the mythology of the Algonquian people. It is a malevolent cannibalistic spirit into which humans could transform, or which could possess humans. Those who indulged in cannibalism were at particular risk,[2] and the legend appears to have reinforced this practice as a taboo. Wendigo psychosis is a culture-bound disorder which involves an intense craving for human flesh and the fear that one will turn into a cannibal. This once occurred frequently among Algonquian Native cultures, though has declined with the Native American urbanization.[3] Recently the Wendigo has also become a horror entity of contemporary literature and film, much like the vampire, werewolf, or zombie, although these fictional depictions often bear little resemblance to the original entity.
- a lot of the stuff is a mix of urban legends and folk lore all thrown into the mix.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

I have seen most of the shows, The wendigo is a real legend so are most of the "hunts" they go on. But in the end it is just a show. Top of my head they have done a show with dragons, phoenix, pagan gods, Ghosts,the immortal doctor, the car from route 666, vampires, zombie(croatoan virus), werewolf, shapeshifter ( theriantropes), and even fairies just to count a few. But all That I have seen can be counted in folklore of one type or the other.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
lol,i love that show too.the mrs even says i am a dead ringer for dean.as for true phenoms,guess its about as griunded in reality as the x files were.research a topic and run with it.even has the mytharc and monster of the week split that x files had,eg alternate episodes (pretty much) of fight with satan/hell and then an ep of vampires,wendigos,ghosts etc

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Therian

You forgot about the episode where
Paris Hilton beats the crap out of Dean!!
That was funny!!!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad
reply to post by Therian

You forgot about the episode where
Paris Hilton beats the crap out of Dean!!
That was funny!!!

LMAO...now that woulda been funny to see.
Yup she's a scary beast thats for sure lol.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by rangersdad

www.brooklynmuseum.org...

Is said to be possed, To hold the spirit which of course is allot less then standing up and beating the crap out of someone. But the wax statues episode can be said to have some basis in folklore or mythology..

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jaycen420

You might be able to catch a re-run
of it on www.hulu.com not sure which episode it was either....

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The first few seasons were based almost entirely on urban legends. Didn't care much for the show back then so I can't comment on how accurate they kept the story lines.

Then they brought in the angel plot lines. The story improved dramatically, but they began to make up more of their own mythos instead of relying entirely urban legends and myths. Still, the majority of the creatures and monsters in the show are drawn from real world legends.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
so is the croatoan virus real?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Im a big fan to

and i think some of them are real
look at all the people who act evilish .. clearly demons are inside them

ghost exist to im sure of that .. even if i have never saw one

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I don't even know why you asked on this forum.

Just do what i did, search for a grain of truth in every myth that springs up in the show

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

i was curious

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by rangersdad

Yea i found it here:

OFF WITH HER HEAD!!

Hmm i wonder if i will get charged
for uploading this here? lol

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jaycen420

Cool!! Glad ya found it....
Paris lost her head in that episode.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I do not think so. However it seems it has coined a phrase. "Going Croatoan" means to go back to the wild or to be free. The premise in the show i think about the virus is more that it turn the people into mindless zombies and they just wander off with no care about what happens to them. Roanoke where the missing 116 odd colonists disappeared all the next group of people found on tree was the word Croatoan. Some think it was a native tribe that the colonist joined. Steven kings book "Storm of the century " reflects on the legend a bit. Though it is far out there.

As far as it being a real virus I do not think so. Prolly meant for how the people just up and take off without explanation. Sorda how we name certain illness after the first people to get them. Lou Gehrig's Disease for example. So instead of calling them zombie the show called it Croatoan virus..
Therian

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Essentially every reference to a myth in the show is based on at least a part of an actual myth or legend

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I believe most of them are real......the realest of them all is Angel, Demon, and God..........from their attitude to their code of conduct is very real....which is nobody give a F about us.

new topics

top topics

join