It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Employers Want Me To Do What!?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
The simplest solution is just to not use facebook. Ever.

Anytime you apply for a job, the first thing done is to look you up on facebook. Everything you do on facebook is meticulously tracked, usually without your knowledge. And no, I'm not just being all conspiracy-guy about this. Just look it up, Facebook even admits to it.

Besides, it'll be outdated in a few years and we'll all be using FriendPlace or GenericFriendSite or something stupid.

To answer your original question, I'd tell them to screw off.

P.S.
I agree with TopherWayne. I'd toss the note in the trash.
Or, if you've really got gall, go to management and tell them what an unreasonable request this is and that they should really mind their own business.
edit on 7-7-2011 by MrSensible because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TopherWayne

They're doing that so they can check out your FBs

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TopherWayne
I saw a note on the bulletin board that encouraged us employees to "friend" them on Facebook, then to "Like" them and also to follow them on Twitter. They were asking all employees to do that! I was kind of shocked! I said "Hell No!" I have to put up with them 8 to 10 hours a day, they don't need to be in my business off the clock.

How would you guys react if your company asked the same?

Isn't that against the law to ask or tell people to friend their employees?? I would never in a million years do it. My husband on the other hand has two accounts one for work, which he is never on, and a personal one. He said so he wouldn't offend his female employees, because my husband has an open mind and many women don't "get" him.

On another note when i did work, people asked if I could add them on facebook, I simply lied and said I don't have a facebook account, even though I did. I like to keep my personal life separate from work. Plus, we had some gossipy chicks at work, that liked to get into everyone's business, and I simply stayed away from them, and barely said a word.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

lol, work and personal life have to be separate

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
There is much more to this IMO.

We all know that companies love data collecting, so the more they know about you, the better they can tailor their products or get you into situations that you have no escape from.

One such company is the KGB (who have recently been running adverts on UK TV) who operate the 118 118 directory service in the UK, whose main call centre happens to be in the Philippines, but are allowed to say they have UK based centres due to a minimum of about 50 staff in one centre in UK...

I have had first hand experience of what this company gets up to.

Whilst going through my training at one of the UK based 118 call centres, they asked us all to fill out a certain form about any health issues we may have.. or had..

They wanted us to give our entire medical history.. Of course they have no legal right to that information, unless you willingly give it.. So there was me sat there in silent defiance whilst everyone else sheepishly filled out the form..

Rumour mill was also hard at work as the KGB had a nice little story going around about them which was related to female prisoners in the US being paid 25 cents an hour to operate call centres set up in the prisons.

for more on the KGB, check this thread;
www.abovetopsecret.com...

also;

Knowledge Generation Bureau (kgb_), is a privately held, New York-based company that provides directory assistance and enhanced information services across Europe and North America. It describes itself as "the world’s largest independent provider of directory assistance and enhanced information services."[2] Founded in 1992 by Robert Pines under the name INFONXX, the company rebranded in 2008.[1] In December 2008, kgb_ acquired Texperts, a United Kingdom-based firm, in order to benefit from their "innovative software platform and industry experience." Shortly afterwards, in January 2009, kgb launched a new suite of products in the United States, providing answers to customers’ questions through multiple platforms. The first is through a mobile search service known as 542542 (kgbkgb). It launched January 5, 2009, following the launch of the similar 118118 "Ask Us Anything" service in the United Kingdom.

en.wikipedia.org...

So I have to ask why do these companies request you 'join' with them on FB and the like?
I can only surmise that it is to do with companies like the KGB and their knowledge data bases.

If any company asks me to put my details online or to make an FB account or request an online profile as part of their web site/marketing etc. then I think you know what I'll be telling them...

Why support something that has been known to be corrupt and/or is supporting a corrupt and broken, sick system?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I worked in radio when the whole Myspace/Facebook explosion happened and my job was interactive media (or "new media" as they called it) . So I'll just throw out some tips here for TopherWayne or anyone else that would like to read through them.

When it comes to a company wanting their employees to "like" on fb or "follow" on Twitter that is usually to build numbers. As far as I know, having admined several "fan" pages on fb, the fan page can not see your newsfeed posts, although I think your demographics & contact info is up for grabs. As for Twitter.... if your account is set to private, then they can not see anything you tweet, even if you follow them. You would have to approve them to follow you, again only if you have a private account. If you do not have a private account, they can view your tweets at anytime, even if you don't follow them. That's why "liking" & "follow" is just a numbers builder.

Friending someone on fb is a whole different matter. That will give them access to your newsfeed unless you get really good at your privacy controls. If you have to "friend" them, then either do as suggested and setup another account for business only or create a friend list that excludes them and set your default post to only that friends list. That does have one MAJOR bug. If you upload a mobile photo, fb ignores that privacy setting, so you still have to use care in what you post.

There is also a good solution to the friend of friend viewing of comments. I ran into this while working in radio. I steadfastly refused to friend my managers on fb, even though some of them where "real life" friends. It wasn't because I didn't want them to see me spouting off about my job, because if I was going to rant on fb about it, you better believe I had already ranted in their office. The reason why is I didn't want them to see my "outside of work friends" call them idiots on my fb page.
So the solution is "blocking"!! Love this feature!!! If you block someone, they can not see your posts/comments and you can not see theirs. It doesn't matter who is friends with who. I have only seen this feature glitch once in the many years I've used it.

Always keep your information set to private on any social network. There was a press release a few weeks ago that the FCC has ok'ed a firm to include social media in the background checks it runs for employers.

June 21, 2011, 12:24 PM — Last week, the FTC gave a thumbs up to a firm that scans social media sites and generates background checks that could keep you on the unemployment lines.

Social Intelligence Corporation joins the seemingly thousands of firms that do credit and criminal background checks for employers, only instead of unpaid student loans and DUIs they’re looking for oversexed Facebook photos and racist tweets.
Source

According to the company, they can only gather intelligence from what is posted publicly. Not sure if I believe them on that one...

Hope that helps anyone stuck in this sort of situation. If you need help setting up fb privacy controls you can always U2U me.

Good Luck!
OiO

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I'd set my facebook to private so that only my real friends could view it. Unless the company or business in question made it mandatory for employees to create a facebook account and do all of that stuff, I don't see why they even need to know.

That or you could create two separate facebook accounts. One for business and another for personal use. And you just don't access the one for business too often.
edit on 7-7-2011 by arbitrarygeneraiist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
facebook and twitter are the newest fads to come along,
they will soon be like my space, all but dead, and it's a crying shame so many people jump on a band wagon like this, including major companies that see it as a way to advertise for free, among other things.. and i'm truly amazed at the people around the world that have the heard mentality, to follow someones page or tweets.

edit on 7-7-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

With the company I use to work for before my job was outsourced to India, our CEO had a e-mail (I've kept and filed) that said to not vote for Obama.

Read my location.

This is what happens when corporations and those that are in management (and have the backing of the corporation they hare helping to "manage" own a government.

Of the people and for the people is a sham, an illusion.

Welcome to reality.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Tell them you dont have facebook and you have no need or want to make an account.
They pay you for your labour, they dont have a mortgage on your soul!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I would not friend them. As others have discussed companies can legally look at your social profiles online and find objectionable content or discussions with your personal life. The employer could then fire you for your connections or company that you keep which creates a negative impression for their company. If you were to friend them please take a copy of the memo and a photo of where it hangs on the wall. If ever you were fired for the employer stating something was objectionable in your personal life, at least you would have some argument in stating they required you to do add them, so they could track you. I think a jury in such a case would question the intention of an employer in asking for a friend request and then finding dirt on you. It sounds like a set up to me.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I would worry that those who comply will get favored treatment. This sucks.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
That's a good solution and yes someone should tell them to stay out of peoples' business.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSensible

Anytime you apply for a job, the first thing done is to look you up on facebook. Everything you do on facebook is meticulously tracked, usually without your knowledge. And no, I'm not just being all conspiracy-guy about this. Just look it up, Facebook even admits to it.

Besides, it'll be outdated in a few years and we'll all be using FriendPlace or GenericFriendSite or something stupid.

P.S.
Or, if you've really got gall, go to management and tell them what an unreasonable request this is and that they should really mind their own business.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSensible

P.S.

Yes that's a good solution. Stay off Facebook.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

From the stand point of a business owner I can definitely understand why they would ask you. Simply for the exposure and ability to brand their services/product through social media sites. Today this is becoming one of the most powerful tools towards growing a business, and the returns can be exponential. However, I can understand your point of view as well though, about your particular concern for your privacy. Depends on the company I guess though...

Cheers

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
One I have no FB, twitter, or myspace. Two as mentioned above I do not post photos of myself or my family online and I keep any personal information to a minimum when posting on public forums.

I do this because from time to time I have an opinion that might not agree with the professional world. At the same time I have been known to be very upfront on some things they might not like in a "normal" conversation.

Back on target though, I would never be close friends with someone of authority at a work place. I find it unprofessional for management to have close relationships with those outside the workplace. I keep most of my co-work friendships to a base regardless, there are a few that have been family friends that I stand by and hangout with outside of work though.

I guess I am for the most part antisocial. I want to keep my business mine and no one else's.

Raist

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Be careful, as the reasons I do not have these accounts are mentioned earlier in the thread. I still do not understand why anyone would think the internet is private, it never was. Everyone will just create a second Facebook account for the purposes of employment, that is what I would do.

This will last up until they start requiring some form of identification to log on or do away with anonymous use altogether. I have no proof this will happen, but someday it might. You might want to read what the CEO of Google has to say, was very interesting.

Link

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
there was a notice at my work to promote our new 'stuff crust' pizza on facebook.

.....fml.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
My first response would be to ask if it's mandatory, and if it is, then it's another job duty, and I would like to be compensated for it. I mean, it's against the law for me to work without getting paid for it, after all, and I don't want either of us getting into trouble.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join