It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are food prices continuing to go up where you live?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Maybe it's just my perception but it seems like food prices are inching up every month where I live. I went to the store yesterday and a box of pasta is now over 2 dollars. I swear that same box of pasta was like $1.70 last month. Just a few years ago the same box of pasta would've been 80 cents to a dollar. So it's basically doubled in price over the span of just a few years. That's just one example, virtually everything is more expensive (cheese, diary, fruits and vegetables, frozen food, etc.) by a good margin over what it was a few years ago. It's getting out of hand.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by origamiandurbanism

Well expect that rise to get steeper and steeper as the economy goes further down into the #ter

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

I don't do shopping but I'd imagine your right on this. I'd assume bad economy's would make prices raise but isn't the price of oil dropping? Not sure what effect that would have either.

I will definetly start watching food prices though as I usually don't pay attention to this sort of stuff.

Good post.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by origamiandurbanism

Definitely not just you...

As the FED keeps printing the fake money, the rest of the fake money value goes down...

Hell look at fast food prices, there is almost no dollar menu anymore... everything that used to be 99 cents is now 1.30-1.50

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Store food now.

The Mormons have small establishments that sell:

Grain
milk powder

And, tons of other dry goods that can last for years.

The prices are very reasonable too!

Price increase doesn't scare me, empty shelves do!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
One word explains it:

Subsidies.

Federal subsidies have increased at the same rate as have store shelf pricing. The Fed loans the government more and more money, prints more and more loan agreements (US dollars) which devalues the currency. In order to keep subsidies from falling below a threshold level in relation to the purchasing power of that dollar- they are increased which passes that cost on to us.

All fiat currencies fail. It's just that the dollar is next on the list.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
even the generic brand is getting expensive.

May have to live on rice and beans.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Food shortages due to floods, excessive rain, fires, droughts.....everywhere it seems has some weather problem making it hard or impossible to farm. I even heard of a farmer seeding his field by plane at the beginning of this last season - then it rained more

More people, less food......

Add on some corporate greed, and price manipulations......

I now stock up on anything that goes on sale, and buy only the meats, fruits, and vegies that are on sale and build meals with those sale items, bulk them up with rice or barley, or salad from the garden in the summer.

Avoid packaged foods, they add up to expensive.

**oh, yeah, and biodiesal type things grown on land that could be used for food, subsidized by the government, add on also improper land use, land that could be used that isn't used....
edit on 3-7-2011 by snowspirit because: subsidies....

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
They are going up here in East Tennessee as well. Everything is higher today than it was 2 months ago. Cereal and veggies are outrageous, a pound of butter is $4.50. Meat prices are just unbelievable with ground beef at $2.89 and up a pound. Oh and having a watermelon for the fourth of July cost me a whopping $7.99 plus tax!

Luckily I have a garden but the only vegetables that are ready right now are cucumbers and a few banana peppers. Anybody want to come over and try my cucumber banana pepper salad???

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Food goes up every 2 weeks it seems. A year a go one box of cereal was $1.99 now that same box is $3.99! I have to wait until cereal goes on sale to buy it. I can only afford the quart of milk and turkey meat that is lean is $3.49 for 1.5 pounds it used to be $1.99. I get less and less but pay more money. Not mention the shrinkage factor of the produces. I used to get a pack of 6 turkey burgers for $1.99 and now it is 4 for $3.49. Not only that but even store brand prices have gone up; gone are the days of 25cent canned goods. A year a go I could get a hyvee store brand green beans for 30 cents now it is like 85 cents. Carrots are a dollar. Incomes are not rising; inflation was supposed to be negative. What the heck is going on?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Yep. I've noticed it especially in the bread aisle. Things that were 1.30 are now 1.60-1.75. Everything keeps going up except the really unhealthy stuff. They always have sales on those.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
What I would like to know is what percentage of food is thrown away because people can't afford to buy it and it spoiled?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

With the prices the way they are and knowing that they will keep going up the only thing a family can do is get creative with the way they cook I guess. Eat less meat and skip out on prepackaged foods and quick meals. A few months ago I was going through my great grandmothers cook book and found a hand written recipe for chocolate chip cookies that called for bacon grease INSTEAD of butter.... guess I will be trying those out for the up coming holidays since I cant afford butter anymore.
But who knows maybe bacon flavor chocolate chips cookies will be the new in thing!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Ok I just checked at Hyvee and now turkey meat; honeysuckle white is now $3.68; last week the regular price was $3.49! So if prices go up every week or two how do we survive?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I am not from US but it is the case here too. Right now there is a public attempt to stop the rise by convincing people not to buy products that cost more then X. X being different for each cathegory. Doubt it will work since manufacturers are too well ogranised and are slowly buying over media to keep silent and general public is too open for occasional discounts instead of lowering the full price.
If you want my opinion - it is done deliberately and slowly to eliminate difference in life style between first/second/third worlds before global unions. Richer areas will suffer more.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
Incomes are not rising; inflation was supposed to be negative. What the heck is going on?

That's the big problem with this. I didn't get a raise last year (like a lot of people), so essentially I am making less money than I did a year ago because the cost of living (food, rent, etc.) continues to go up every year. I now have less disposable income which in turn hurts the economy.

As far as cereal goes, I love it but I hardly ever buy it because it's such a ripoff. Those companies have to be making a big profit on some of that, it's essentially just grains, high fructose corn syrup, some additives and yet, where I live it's almost always $4.00 to $5.00.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
even the generic brand is getting expensive.

May have to live on rice and beans.

Hey, I love rice and beans!

I always make meals with black beans and I normally get the Bush's brand and yes, that too has gone up almost double what it was a couple years ago. Pretty soon rice and beans will be too expensive!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Also some companies are "ninja"-increasing prices. By this I mean they are giving less product for the same price instead of increasing the price on the package. I work for a major food manufacturer, and recently they decreased the amount in each product by 13%,while still charging the same amount. Something else to watch for...

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Now is the time to learn to grow your own food.

Plant seeds, plant a food garden.
Learn to make bread, learn to make wine.
Buy secondhand and recycle.

Dont give them your money.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I feed a family of 6 and my food bill...that was already nothing to sneeze at...is now cringe worthy. For the last few months every time I do the monthly big shop I pick up a couple of boxes of powdered milk, some bags of dry beans and a 30lb bag of Nishiki rice. I spend a lot of time in the supermarket so I have watched the prices creep ever upward. I dont have a huge amount of space but I do have 2, 4-foot by 8-foot raised beds that I am getting pretty good yields from thanks to the square foot gardening method. Its a shame that it has come to this but in a way I am glad for it. I enjoy gardening and knowing where my food comes from is a huge plus. I harvested some collards and kale a few weeks back and they were delicious. Im even thinking of setting up a grow room so that I can grow veggies indoors over the winter. Imagine a world where clandestine grow rooms are all filled with squashes and tomatoes instead of the sticky icky, lol. We have lost our connection to the earth and though the PTB are attempting to starve us out, they may be inadvertently helping us to become stronger in the process. Those who are hopelessly enslaved to the system are going to fall and I feel for them but if you have the cajones to hang in there and make a way for yourself despite this crap, you will prevail.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join