It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK supermarket asks British citizens to celebrate Independence Day.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by IAmAnAlien

Copied from a post in another thred-England is better than America because...

1) We speak English.

2) We can have a conversation at normal audio levels without interspersing it with "HELL YEAH" "ALRIGHT" and "USA,USA" etc...

3) We don’t do silly high fives; we simply shake hands like grown ups.

4) We do not believe what our government tells us.

5) We are educated.

6) Our homes don’t have wheels.

7) The Banjo is banned under common decency laws.

8) Although marrying cousins is legal it is not widely accepted.

9) We don’t have to have our national flag on everything we own.

10) We know the meaning of the word “Humble”.

11) We realise that there are other countries in the world.

12) We can “walk” to our shops (Remember that one America?? Walking??)

13) Our Queen (God bless her) is actually the ruler of the entire world, unlike Obama who just runs America!.

14) When you look into our eyes you see the sane, calm and tranquil look of a pedigree... Not the cross-eyed, insane, and slightly angry look of a mongrel.

15) We drink Tea.

16) We know which fork is for starters.

17) We know which spoon is for desert.

18) If we ever lost a War we would never make a thousand movies about it so that we could collectively wallow in self-pity

19) When we win wars we have a dignified parade which involves the crowd quietly waving flags and clapping politely.

20) We invented Comedy Sarcasm and Irony

21) We are the only country in the world that does actually LOVE America and Americans

Peace

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAmAnAlien
reply to post by Extralien

It's "Shopping Center", not "Shopping Centre". According to official grammatical rules accepted throughout the world, the American spelling of a word always trumps the English or Canadian spelling of a word. Thought everyone knew that. In fact, the English Language really should be called "The American Language".

haha, definitely trolling, you really can't be that stupid

edit on 3-7-2011 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-7-2011 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

so true

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Regardless of what the 'day' is celebrating (or not), Corporations will seize any opportunity to try and sell you more stuff.

ASDA Wal-Mart is just another fat cat, full of legalized corruption.

Walmart bought ADSA in 1999. Then sold it again in 2009 for £5.7 billion. (a mere £200m profit)
But who did wal-mart sell ASDA to ? Can you guess ?

Well, they sold it to Wal-Mart !

Confused ? Let me explain a little.

The 'buyer' of ASDA was an Investment company by the name of Corinth, based in Leeds, UK. However, Corinth is also part of the Wal-Mart group of companies.
So Wal-Mart sold ASDA to itself.

But what is the point in that ?, I hear some of you ask.

Well (back in 2009 at least), Corinth had no employees, other than it's 7 directors, but would receive ASDA's dividend payments which back then, stood at £160 million.

Another prime example of how rich people leech the system to further their own personal wealth !

So whether it be Mothers day, Father's day, Independence day, Halloween, or any other 'day', we shall all be encouraged to put a little more profit in the pockets of the corporate elite.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Lynda101

you'd run out of special brew and come back on your hands and knees in a fortnight

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Swanseadog

Don't forget free health care. (sort of)

Or less TV advertising..

oh, and we don't have bible belts..

ETA...
I think the biggest reason why the UK does not need to celebrate any form of independence is because we are more independent than any other country (but not all) and have been for many years. Our biggest problem was with the Romans a couple of thousand years ago..
edit on 3-7-2011 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

What a load of twaddle!
Have you ever been to England?
It would be like asking Americans to 'celebrate' the Vietnam war.....
Read some history,& find out where your illuminati leaders came from.
The only date of interest is november 5, when the English celebrate the failed attempt at blowing up their own government, now why is that?
Maybe because they saw their liberty being taken from them by tyrants.
Does this sound familiar?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by playswithmachines

The only date of interest is november 5, when the English celebrate the failed attempt at blowing up their own government, now why is that?
Maybe because they saw their liberty being taken from them by tyrants.
Does this sound familiar?

And that has always made me laugh.. A lot of people did and still do support Mr. G. Fawkes, yet we're happy to burn effigies of him...

i think it's more about the fireworks these days.. it's about one of the only things that is entertaining and a brake from the norm.

The film "V for Vendetta" seems to have stirred things up recently too... It kinda mirrored the thoughts of a nation yet steered clear of the flag waving fanatics.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Well guess who owns Asda? Wal-Mart!

Overview
Since 1999 Asda has been wholly owned by Wal-Mart – the largest company and arguably 'the most ruthless employer' in the world.[1] The takeover should be seen as part of a long process: Asda had been mirroring Wal-Mart’s strategy for some years before it happened. The takeover has far-reaching consequences for British retail as other companies react to it and find new ways to compete....

www.corporatewatch.org...

Wal-Mart

'The story of Wal-Mart is ultimately a local story...'[2]
Wal-Mart was founded in 1962 in Bentonville, Arkansas, by the Walton family, who now account for five out of the ten richest people on the planet.[3] Its expansion has been phenomenal. A so called ‘strategy of consolidation’ smashes local small town businesses, often leaving inhabitants without alternative local retailing outlets....

www.corporatewatch.org...

edit on 7/3/2011 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Exactly, though i do find the burning of dummies a bit pagan, a bit 'english voodoo'

In england they celebrate famous traitors & villains just as much as kings or heroes, which is cool

edit on 3-7-2011 by playswithmachines because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
*facepalm*
On behalf of America, I'd like to apologise. Really. I mean, you took Madonna in and gave her a home, you put up with all the copies we make of your tv shows. . . .
Our bad.

Tell you what. We'll give back a state. Any one. Just pick it.

We cool now?
edit on 3-7-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Can we have Georgia back? It's named after king George

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
You sent back Cheryl Cole.
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????

Please. Pretty please. Let's make a deal.
I'll celebrate Independence Day gladly - If you take Cheryl Cole, plus the shower of # on Geordie Shore and lose them somewhere in the Nevada desert.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAmAnAlien

It is only natural that other, inferior nations (which includes every other single country in the world because the USA is on top) would want to make Independence Day not only a celebrated holiday, but the single most important holiday of the whole year. In Canada, for example, I know for a fact that Independence Day is bigger than Christmas or Canada Day (whatever the name of that holiday is). Why shouldn't it be the same in England? All English citizens harbor deeply hidden desires to move to the USA, but are terribly frustrated because most can't.

It's "Shopping Center", not "Shopping Centre". According to official grammatical rules accepted throughout the world, the American spelling of a word always trumps the English or Canadian spelling of a word. Thought everyone knew that. In fact, the English Language really should be called "The American Language".

people like you are the reason other people around the world hate americans...

both your comments make you sound ignorant..

It's like trying to get Americans to celebrate Guy Fawkes day. Don't get me wrong; I would love to burn an effigy and have fireworks to boot, but it's just not my country's thing.

for those who have never heard of this guy..
above top secret

edit on 3/7/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by playswithmachines
reply to post by beezzer

Can we have Georgia back? It's named after king George

It's yours. Just give us time to clean up the place, new light fixtures, a fresh coat of paint. (I'll have someone clean the yard)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

At least you don't have the Eurovision song contest, which is like watching a bad zombie film but without the laughs

la2

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Oh please!!

When will the USA realise that the world no longer cares, your independance day is kinda moot right now, you have taken your independance and thrown it away. As for all people in Britain wanting to move to America, thats rubbish, more brits move to Australia and Canada than to the US.

Wake up America, you are now almost obselete!!

la2

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Totally agree, the spellings are only accepted because the companies that make the word processing software are American and obviously cant spell!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Beavers

My apologies to the mighty Beavers. I will certainly stock up for you - Are you paddling?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by la2

Don't be too hard on them

Just because their government is just as rotten as ours, doesn't make us enemies.
We are all in the same boat here.....

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join