It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

police "mistook" handicapped teen-ager's speech impediment for "disrespect," so they Tasered,

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Reply to post by SFA437

I can agree with that.

I would take a tazing over OC. Spray sucks hard. Baby wipes and milk can only do so much.

First time was at the academy. They said they were going to spray us so we could get certified. They sprayed us, then we had to run 100 yrads, read a random paragraph out of a book, run 50 yards jump a fence and touch a flag. Run 50 yards, then wrestle a guy to the ground and disarm him. That was hell lol.

edit on 6/30/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
That's awesome that the mother is seeking legal action, and she should get as much money as she can from the state, and those two officers should be punished justly. They should go to jail, or be forced to do community service with the mentally ill at the very least.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Getting a zillion dollars from tax derived money won't deter the police from acting out again. They are not hurt in the least, however the taxpayers are.

Reducing the pay of everyone on the entire police force (from Chief to lowly dispatcher) for the rest of their working lives and giving it to the victim's family will be a hell of a deterrent.
In fact such a fair judgment would only need to happen once.
The entire law enforcement community country wide will keep this from ever happening again.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by SFA437

I can agree with that.

I would take a tazing over OC. Spray sucks hard. Baby wipes and milk can only do so much. lol

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Ah pfffftttttt!

I put OC spray on my eggs.

Seriously, it barely affects me at all. I have been sprayed with just about every over the counter kind you can buy, and they are not very effective. I haven't been sprayed by the police version, or real chemical Mace, but the pepper spray does not compare to the taser. Not even close.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
I think that when a cop abuses the public and the city has to pay damages, the damage amount should come out of the salaries of all the cops on the force, proportional to their pay, i.e., higherups pay more.

That would give them incentive to root out the "bad apples" and to abide by the laws themselves.
edit on 30-6-2011 by apacheman because: sp

Wow!
Apacheman, you ARE the man! You're right, this would be all it takes, I'd bet.
Maybe slant it a little towards those he is in daily contact with, especially supervisors. Maybe then they won't all be trying to cowboy their way up the ladder with crap tactics and inflated charges.
Take away some of the incentive to be an a--hole.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MustangDesigns

Is it not in court already?

Do not judge justice until it is served. Clearly, the fact that its in the court is significant.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MustangDesigns

DAYTON, Ohio (CN) - Dayton police "mistook" a mentally handicapped teen-ager's speech impediment for "disrespect," so they Tasered, pepper-sprayed and beat him and called for backup from "upward of 20 police officers" after the boy rode his bicycle home to ask his mother for help, the boy's mom says.

Courthouse News Service

Seriously? Really? How do you even do this? What kind of human being do you have to be to even attempt to try something like this. Unforgivable. Let me tell you something, even IF this kid wasn't handicapped, and even IF he was being "disrespectful" to the Officer by mocking him, I don't believe that gives the Officer authority to chase him down, pepper-spray and Taser him. The police force are given entirely too much control and power. If I was that Officer I'd be so ashamed of myself. Grrrr.... I don't want to turn this in to a rant!

Every time I read something like this, it always begs to me the question; What can I do to help? or What can WE do to prevent the Police from abusing their power.

I don't often shed tears, never for myself do I shed tears...I did get very angry when I read the news of this attack. I am wondering if the child in question is of less "fairer" tone of skin color? It does not matter which way or the other. What bothers me is that even in history the rules of aggression or War, in fact, requires that no women nor children be harmed.

The child in question is an innocent, whether or not he decided to challenge this poor excuse of man "pig that don't fly straight" authority....he none the lesser is still an innocent without all of his mental faculties. I, for one think that the issue is deeper than just what is written(peace officers and other governmental workers are "infected" if you will)

I am one that can do harm to another and do it very well...When I am in my right mind(no pun intended) I believe in walking closer to the Angels and the throne of the father. I know who I am and I am capable of and I choose to not exert my force ( which is a powerful thing once activated) unto anyone unless I have to.

I mean to be a peaceful person but when I see innocents being harmed or hear of it rather I have a problem with this and my bad DNA wants to HARM!...I am a child of the feather though and it's not the best way to be. The OP asked what can we do??

WE CAN CHOOSE TO BE SOMETHING MORE THAN FLESH N BONE. WE HAVE TO HAVE TO UNITE AND NOT WITH PEOPLE WHO U IDENTIFY WITH IMMEDIATELY BUT WITH ALL GOOD HEART FILLED PEOPLE. WE ALL WANT THE SAME THINGS. IT'S NOT OKAY TO BE ON THE SIDELINES AND NOT DO ANYTHING WHEN SOMETHING HIDEOUS IS BEING DONE SPEAK AND CONTINUE TO SPEAK GAIN NUMBERS AND WHEN YOU ARE STRUCK DEFEND YOURSELF!!!

-INVISIBLE CROWN- simple man I am(via the father creator)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I am amazed that it seems to happen mainly in the US.

Is the fault of the citizens who are to scared to do anything. I think that is the reason.

In no other country do the people or ruling bodies stand for this.

In the UK, cops are beaten up by young teen in hoodies. In fact in certain south London areas Cops will not even go there let alone look someone in the eye. Police in the UK are often sacked or dismissed or Jailed for corrupt or abusive behavior.

In Portugal, the locals will not tolerate abuse from cops and have resorted to murder of police to get the point across.

In Spain the cops are treated like any other person, step out of line for no good reason and you get dealt with.

In Italy, the cops used to get rough with suspects in the interrogation room. Guess what happened. The public rioted and 50+ cops were beaten and hospitalized.

In France, well they just dont give a crap, the French riot over a garlic clove. The cops just stay the hell away for fear of violence against them.

But in the US, people just run scared. And go on Forums to say they would do such and such. But Americans do not do anything about anything (unlike their government).

Its a shame, as Americans actually have access to firearms.

edit on 30-6-2011 by TheButcher23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by SFA437

I can agree with that.

I would take a tazing over OC. Spray sucks hard. Baby wipes and milk can only do so much. lol

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Ah pfffftttttt!

I put OC spray on my eggs.

Seriously, it barely affects me at all. I have been sprayed with just about every over the counter kind you can buy, and they are not very effective. I haven't been sprayed by the police version, or real chemical Mace, but the pepper spray does not compare to the taser. Not even close.

We had a Guatemalan guy on our department who would dip chicken into OC
Made me cringe!

I've been Tased and sprayed with OC and run around like Lemon. Tasing ends quickly. The OC hurts for hours and I swear before the gods showering the next day just adds a whole new dimension of pain

Of course in this case the poor kid most likely didn't need either applied to him. I have a big soft spot for people with mental handicaps- even the violent ones.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
this is most assuringly distasteful, u most disagreeingly disagree with the police not having the balls to use some more creative form of dispensing their dislike for the imagined disrespect they revieced

just kidding popo suks

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Actually there should be no need to discern between the two. Getting me pissed off is not cause for arrest or interference in someone's life. That point only comes when the subject is acting in a way contrary to the community's well being.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I only have respect for detectives not beat cops. The system is a screwed up paradox they don't want people with half a brain to be street cops because they know they will quit to find higher paying jobs yet they promote you for the same qualities and or experience.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Disrespect or "contempt of cop" is not an excuse for this action.

The fact that they would try to excuse with "contempt of cop" as if that makes it all okay is frightening.

This whole situation kinda reminds me of the archetypal abusive parent who would harshly beat their child over spilled milk or a bad grade on homework, or the assholish principal who would expel a student for a few days' worth of tardiness.............[of course, I'm not making any generalizations here! Please understand that.]

My point is, harsh punishments for minor, or perceived mistakes, is simply wrong, whether it comes from parents, cops, teachers, etc.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This is relevant to the topic. A comparison of civilian mindsets that allow pos cops in the US to use excuses such as this one to taser children. No t&c violation here dammit.

My girlfriend, American, and I took a little trip to Peru. We were near the pAlace of government (the white house over there) when I decided to ask a couple of machine gun strapped cops for directions to some museum. I drove up to the apc they were standing in front of and noticed that my gf had gone deathly pale. Having lived in Lima most of my life, I know how approachable and friendly cops are there but forgot about what the American perception of LE is. To make the story short, I lowered my window, called the cop over and asked him for directions like old pals with no "yes officer no officer" boot licking bs.

We left and my gf couldn't believe what had happened was real. She thought we would've gotten tasered and arrested at least if not far worse and that is what she would have expected in the US not even in a thirld world nation. I have friends who are cops here in the US and they are great guys in civilian clothes. When they put their uniforms on, though, they transform into the most egotistical beings I know. What is astounding is that this effect is collective in their group not just individual. Cops have been overly glorified and given a place above the law in the US.
edit on 30-6-2011 by Snoopy1978 because: iPod-word-complete misbehavior.

edit on 30-6-2011 by Snoopy1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
All I'm going to say is. Extreme T&C Violation.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Can you imagine how sick these officers are? I mean really. Any psychiatrist would diagnose them with severe mental disorders of all kind.
They have lost every inch of humanity they once possessed. Now they are nothing but a goon squad.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

That's what it looked like to me, for a total of no less than $375,000 if I added right.
Officer John Doe.....really

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
i would be in jail. i would have cracked the cop in the head with whatever heavy an hard was close by.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

Gotta agree with your observations, here. Look at how people address police officers in American TV shows, it's all 'yes sir, no sir' and yet here in the UK it's the police who call the public sir or madam. I think we have it the right way round.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
All these complaints about how people deserve it because there was 10 seconds of missing video, the called the cop a "pig" or something similar. It's disgusting!

I may be in Canada where things are considerably better in this respect but we sure as hell are nowhere near perfect, either. My comments, however, are to this story and the similar ones posted here in recent months.

There is definitely the "respect goes both ways" aspect of this. And, by that I mean the cops should show a bit more because, let's face it, in these situations the people are at the disadvantage and people get their backs up and a bit ornery when stopped without a full explanation and chance to respond. A lip off or two does not require a taser or a gun...unless the cop is an utter coward with absolutely no people skills whatsoever. (in which case, he should go look for a nice desk job some place). If the perp takes a swing or utters violent threats... well, that is different and he should be subdued with reasonable force.

The cops that do their job with respect and dignity I applaud and thank (like SFA437 sounds to). The ones that do not, as far as I am concerned, should be challenged, charged, fined, fired and for all I care, shot.

One day people will have had enough and really start fighting back. It seems inevitable at this rate. But, that day is not today so there is still time for law enforcement to clean up their act. Here's to hoping.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join