It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the SMOKING problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
smoking and big tobacco is just another example of how media shifts our attention to minor parts of the big picture to get us rowed up, fighting..and in the end not taking action

there’s two sides to the argument..
ban cigarettes and keep them legal

but has anyone considered banning the chemicals big tobacco happily add to them?
any other corp. in any other industry would be heavily fined and shut down if they did something similar..
sure they still wouldn’t be healthy but they would definitely be a lot more healthy..and it would limit the amount of disease possible..
the amount and type of chemicals in smokes is amazing and beyond belief..

but wouldn’t smokers and non smokers be happier if they knew that smoke contained only tobacco and paper?

EDIT:
Sorry i didnt mean to post this in 911
could a mod please move this to general? or whatever fits it best
thanks

smoking is really just another tactic used to limit population growth, which is understandable but still.....

honestly who doesn’t agree with this?
is this not the logical answer?

also..
in Australia the government wants to make all cigarette packs plain packaging..which is a good idea
but wouldn’t it be better to have an ingredients list?
again any other consumed product is required to have a list of ingredients..why not cigarettes??

smoking has always baffled me? why do people accept the chemicals but not the smoking?

thoughts people?....

edit on 21-6-2011 by dilapidated because: wrong category

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
i agree but what does this have to do with 9/11?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Roughly around 5 or 6 years ago, I remember hearing an advertisement on the radio from an anti-smoking group that was fighting to rid of some of those dangerous chemicals. Almost every time I turned my radio on, that advertisement was playing, and it went on for about 3 or 4 months before it died away. Never heard anything else about it.

Personally, I believe they have been paid off one way or the other and now just focus on the anti-smoking, ignoring the dangerous chemicals completely.

Have you ever held a cigarette underneath a black light? It looks like someone dipped them in a bucket of grease. I have always regretted being a smoker, but I have at least moved on away from those chemical filled brand name ones. I live in Ohio and I drive to Kentucky to buy directly from a grower, then use a cigarette pusher to make my own.

A few days ago, I was out in the boonies at a party, and ran out of my pushed ones, so I had to bum one off of a friend, which he smoked the brand name ones. After smoking it, I was coughing and hacking, and it didn't even feel like I smoked one.
edit on 6/21/2011 by digitalbluco because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by dilapidated

I just don't get how they can get away with poisoning people legally , and it would be a crime for any other industry to put chemicals in their products that they know are harmful.

This world and its laws are a bit of a joke....they know cigarettes are addictive, and more harmful than pot, yet what do they wage war on?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
smoking will always be frowned upon as a dirty habit, but there is no way it will ever be banned because of the amount of tax it generates for the government. In the uk the average price of a pack of 20 is hovering around £6 and you know that way over half of that is tax.
It wouldnt surprise me if the government now legalised all drugs and stuck tax on them too.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
More importantly, why is smoking cigarettes legal when they kill you, but smoking marijuana, which I believe not a single death has been related to, is illegal?

Marijuana has been shown to stop the spread of cancer; cigarettes have been shown to cause cancer and various other ailments. Marijuana makes so many types of pain tolerable, works as an anti-depressant, helps those who have no appetite to eat, the list goes on and on.. A simple google search for "marijuana prevents cancer" yields a metric $#!% ton of results.

Perhaps it's that marijuana causes people to think outside the box, to question what one is being told and to use the creative parts of the brain to come up with our own answers and solutions.. In other words, marijuana strips you of your "worker bee" indoctrination by opening up new avenues of thought. Or maybe it's as simple as the industry is old and politically powerful.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by digitalbluco
I have always regretted being a smoker, but I have at least moved on away from those chemical filled brand name ones. I live in Ohio and I drive to Kentucky to buy directly from a grower, then use a cigarette pusher to make my own.

I did a project on Tobacco Giants years ago ... One of the most disgusting things about cigarettes is .. The nicotine content itself in an average cigarette, isnt as deadly as cigarettes .. infact, science seems to indicate the nicotine is pretty harmless at these levels ... yet it's the reason we smoke ...

With a different, safer, delivery method for nicotine .. we can all have out nicotine fix . without having to die for it ...

Nicotine is addictive, and is classed as a poison, and as regular cigarette smokers, you will be aware of this. In the conclusion of the report the Laboratory have said that on balance the nicotine cartridges appear to be a much safer alternative to the traditional cigarette, as they do not contain any of the known harmful chemicals that are in cigarettes. Please read the full report here.

www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk...

I realise in many states in USA are trying to make the sale of the electric cigarette illegal .. But in many states, and in UK, it is still curretly legal . as far as i am aware .. Although it is safe to say, as they become more popular, and more so if they ever threaten the tobacco industry, then its fair to say governments (via WHO) will absolutely clamp down on these .. or take control of the distribution for themselves / limit production of the device to tobacco companies to offset against lost revenue ...

I could go on and on about the disgusting acts by tobacco giants and governments regarding sooo many aspects of tobacco ... But this topic is about teh chemicals put in tobacco .. so my post is already verging being off topic ..

I don't mean to sound like a salesman here ... and i'm not saying it works for everyone ..
But i went from smoking 40 a day .. to zero ....
I never actually believed it would work for me ... None of the NRT devices came close to working ..

Just a simple device with a battery .. a cartridge to put the nicotine liquid into .. and an atomiser to evaporate the liquid ...

Its about the same size as a cigarette .. and even gives off what looks like cigarette blue smoke .. But is actually pretty harmless vapour ...

The liquid comes in a range of strength and flavours ... And although it still has a 'few' chemicals, which so far seem pretty safe ... and have yet to be proven otherwise ... Compared to cigarette smoke, which has thousands of known harmful substances / toxins .... The electric cigarette, IMO, is by far, the lesser of 2 evils ...

Although i do not use the electric cigarette to 'come off' nicotine ... I use it as a replacement .. and will happilly 'vape' it for my nicotine fix for the rest of my life .. i love it .. It can also be used to come off nicotine .. by reducing the liquid strength over time ..

It costs me less than half price of cigarrettes ... I got a far heightened sense of taste and smell back within a few weeks ... I never even realised it had been lowered .. but after i ate a korma .. it never tasted so amazing ... filled with flavour ... I couldn't wait to see what else to try ...

3 years without a cancer stick .. and still going strong

new topics

top topics

join