It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people even bother driving up to the Area 51 gate??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
okay i said it was a gate hah there is not even a fence on the area where the signs are posted

but rather yellow markers are placed to warn the drivers not to cross... um okay? what if people dont see that

so why bother going to the signs? its not like you're going to instantly see a ufo or any other activity

nope just a dry desert with 2 idiot guards and a bunch of motion censors

DONT waste your time if you plan on going

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I would love to get a photo of myself stood next to one of those signs though

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by arriana

haha me too.

OP- stop being a killjoy

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by arriana

THAT is pretty much why. I too want a pic!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by CrazyBear

Its just a land mark really like getting a pic by the Las Vegas sign

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
If you think about it, there is a risk factor here.

People like to go there to have pictures taken and to see how close to the line they can actually get without thinking "will i get shot here".

If those guards shoot anyone there its going to be massive news, news they don't want or need. If you survived it you would be famous

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
So far it appears the reason why people want to go to Area51 is for facebook images.

Does that answer your question?

It does mine...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
So if ya go there and ye cross the line what happens to ya!. do ya get beemed up? or worse?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by kigamboni
So if ya go there and ye cross the line what happens to ya!. do ya get beemed up? or worse?

This is what happens:
www.youtube.com...

To OP:
Going there, seeing the signs, the cammo dudes, getting the precious pictures, is exciting. A badge of honor, bragging rights. Being closer than most people will ever be to a secret military facility. I've been over 10 times now, and I live in northern Canada.

Will you see anything more exciting than Joshua tree's and cows? Probably not. But that's not the point. You WILL see a magnificent starscape if you spend a night there, and the sky is clear. And you can tell your friends you were "at" Area 51.
edit on 26-5-2011 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The same reason that any human comes across a hole in the ground, they poke it with a stick.

Ever see a woodchuck hole or mine shaft filled with sticks?

Area 51 is a big woodchuck hole. People just want to know.

As with poking with a stick, you just don't know what is going to happen.

Or they are hoping that some of the top security in the country is going to have an off day and see an escaped saucer zinging into the sky.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I lived in Las Vegas all of my life, well up until a few years ago when I decided to move the family to a safer place, but I have wondered the same thing for years. Maybe area 51 has no attraction for the local kid's...I have been to the "gate", conservitively, a hundred times or so and it is boring and uneventful. In my opinion.

The camps that they set up across the highway are pretty interesting though, and it's alway a good place to meet some decent folks full of really good stories...all there with the hope of catching some small glimmer of a ufo...it's a hoot for sure.

Of course then there are a few campers just to the north too, trying to catch a good bombing run at the Indian Springs site...they are a pretty interesting bunch too. Alot of the time you'll catch people moving back and forth from Indian Springs to the camp outside of area 51...some do it for many months at a time.

Anyway I suppose it is the allure of the posibility of sighting something, or maybe just a picture to put in the scrapbook to say "been there", but who really knows..everyones got there own idea about the happenings at area 51, and everyone has there own ideas about what their experience will be like. My bet though is that most leave somewhat disappointed when their expectations are let down.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I've been checked out by the chopper at the front gate. Also a F-16 flyover.

Check out the gates at night. The dudes are more paranoid because they can't see you very well. I like when they light you up as you walk around.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
show off thats why.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The "Little A'Le'Inn" has great hamburgers.

You get to drive on The Extraterrestrial Highway - - through miles of barren nothingness.

Some people just like to go on drives. It was a nice drive.

I had no expectations.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Because it's there.

I think our curiosity propels us to journey as far as we can go...without falling over the edge.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
WHY.....To get the same feeling people get when going to see the Grand Canyon,Eiffel Tower,Tibetan Mountains,
It makes you feel special ....

Same as groupies of stars....(I was invited backstage...., I went to a private party attended by Celebrities...)

If it makes people feel good and they do nothing wrong...then whats wrong with it?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I'd say its all down to interests, if your into aircraft you go to an airshow, if your into films you go to a cinema if your into ufo's then its area 51, although the obvious disadvantage is that you proably wont see anything! I'd bet if you told anyone youd been to area 51 the first thing they'd say is 'did you see anything?'.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
You might find this interesting, sometimes the front gate just isn't enough:

www.youtube.com...

Sorry, dont know how to embed.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I want to drive to it because I think the whole trip would be amazing. I live in Australia, and so the whole thought of the huge drive through the middle of nothing would be amazing.

Just another tourist visiting a landmark...

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CrazyBear

Because its mecca to ufologists lol

kinda why i want to go there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join