It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would overwhelming public interest influence ETs in contacting us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Simple question I have for all you ATS veterans and UFO/ET enthusiasts out there..

If sometime, even in our life time (30+ years from now), if the general population from most first world nations started to become more interested, more open, and more curious of contact with ETs and intergalactic civilizations, do you think ETs would take notice? & I'm not talking about just more TV specials, etc. But I am saying if the public started to bring up the issue of ETs (independent of their governments) to their politicians, governments, news agencies, etc. where it became such a hot topic much like Osama Bin Laden, or Charlie Sheen (chuckle) do you think ETs would take notice and try to make contact?

If so, do you think we should get started?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Syroco

I dont think ETs would take interest so much as the government would. And with the government paying more attention to what its people want, maybe the government would make more of an effort to make contact with ETs. And maybe if the government already has made contact, then they would let their people know.
But do I think that this would ever happen? Unfortunately no.
edit on 22-5-2011 by DaveWx3 because: Clarifying

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
if there were aliens why would they give a damn what we would think of them or what our governments thoughts of disclosure? But as we have clearly seen there are no aliens (prove me wrong if you want to) so all this is just another useless thread.
edit on 22-5-2011 by raivo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by raivo
if there were aliens why would they give a damn what we would think of them or what our governments thoughts of disclosure? But as we have clearly seen there are no aliens (prove me wrong if you want to) so all this is just another useless thread.
edit on 22-5-2011 by raivo because: (no reason given)

Who says they'd give a damn or not? If they noticed a large chunk of the Human race was interested in things outside their planet (in regards to life) I think they'd take notice, even if it was little.

And how exactly is this thread useless? This is a discussion forum and we are discussing a topic, albeit a speculative one, but it can be said all these threads are speculative ones. It's good to have a little balance of topics... not all threads need to be about some video or picture of a UFO. We can talk about ETs in general as long as it's constructive, I'm sure. For all I can notice is your reply was a useless one, and not my thread.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I would add my "no" as well. I don't think that increasing the amount of people that are desperate for an all powerful nanny would go over too well. The world is already collapsing under the weight of these types. What if they just said "Hi, we're here. But we're going to stay way out here in space until you are capable of getting to us, before becoming involved." All the "save me"ers would then resent the aliens.
I think we have to grow up and get through things our selves before they will befriend us.
So yes, I think we need to get started. I think we need to start making everyone earn their keep on this planet. Think of the street cred that will earn us in our galactic neighborhood!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaiju
I would add my "no" as well. I don't think that increasing the amount of people that are desperate for an all powerful nanny would go over too well. The world is already collapsing under the weight of these types. What if they just said "Hi, we're here. But we're going to stay way out here in space until you are capable of getting to us, before becoming involved." All the "save me"ers would then resent the aliens.
I think we have to grow up and get through things our selves before they will befriend us.
So yes, I think we need to get started. I think we need to start making everyone earn their keep on this planet. Think of the street cred that will earn us in our galactic neighborhood!

Haha yeah I definitely think they'd resent being the nanny to our race, but who's to say that's not how things go? Perhaps races need other "nanny" races.

The main reason I'd ever see them making contact with us due to public interest would to save us from our governments.

But yes, I'm on the fence right now.. it's neither a yes or a no for me.

new topics

top topics

join